LegacyGT.com

Transplanting TPMS sensors to new rims?

Garandman

If you get tires/rims from TireRack.com and use their car configurator to bring up your model, they recommend (and have) TPMS sensors they can mount on the aftermarket tire+wheel package.

IIRC, it was like $179 for the set of 4 sensors and 4 sensor nuts. You will still have to goto the dealer to get the ECU calibrated/reset for TPMS.

have the dealer do it cause you need the sensors to be "wheel location" calibrated (tells the TPMS where the wheel is on the car).

I rotated my snows this season and they still work. There's only one receiver so they should work in any location.

If you have wheels without TPMS, the light flashes every four seconds. A 1" square of black electrical tape "disables" it.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Bought the sensors with my new wheels from Tire Rack. So far the light blinks. Looks like a trip to the dealer, will try to have them turn the system off. I don't feel like spending time and money twice every season. Most cars have a way to reset the sensors, hopefully there will be a reset tool that doesn't cost and arm and a leg coming out soon.

nah, it's simple if the system is like the ones they use for mercedes-benz... take the tire off (obviously)... and the tire pressure sensor is screwed onto the valve stem via T-15 torx screw... and to take the valve stem part out of the wheel, it's held on by a 11 mm nut.. soo long story short, take the tire off, unscrew the 11 mm nut, and transplant it over to the wheel... a new sensor through MB is close to 300 dollars.. the valve stem is about 15

if you put the corresponding sensor to the right transponder.. you shouldn't have a problem... meaning... the sensor from the right rear wheel, should go back to the right rear of the vehicle... or else they'll pick up other signals and get confused and throw the light on like stated above...

I have personally removed the wheel sensors from my stock wheels and transfered them to a set of winter wheels and tires.

-It does not matter which sensor goes to what wheel location on the vehicle

-All you have to do is keep the original tire pressures the same with the new set.

-I have not had to have a dealer reset the TPM

I have had the TPM light come on twice on very cold days but as soon as it warmed up the light goes away. Just needed to add alittle more pressure.

doesn't matter what wheel it's on, the car doesn't care. The MB system might be a little more complicated then ours...it probably is.

hm, lemme think of how to put this... if you change it's position, it's going to display the pressures in a different location...

meaning if the left front is 32 and the right front is 35... if you swap the sensors across... the display will show 35 for the left front and 32 for the right front because the transponder is reading the original sensor... that's why you have to reset the TPM whenever you rotate wheels or change the sensor's location..

oops my bad :hide:

EDIT just remembered that when it was adjusted it was when the new sensors were put in. each one has a id code which needed to be reset with the car at the dealers.

if you buy new sensors for your new rims ($80 each) they need to be put in hand tight and then followed by hand tightening for a least a week. reason for this is that the rubber o-ring seal compresses.

also the "nut" that holds them are plastic and can break if tightened too much. i would suggest buying a couple extra just in case, they are cheap.

i went through this with my jdm subie rims.

UGH!! IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT CORNER THEY ARE IN!!!

The computer looks for 4 values. As long as those 4 values are above 32, the light stays off. If one of the values is lower then 32, or whatever it's set at, the TPMS light goes off. On some fancier systems it tells you which wheel is low. Ours is not that fancy.

If it mattered which corner they went into, rotating your tires would be a pain in the ass, which it's not, cause it doesn't matter.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

UGH!! IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT CORNER THEY ARE IN!!!

The computer looks for 4 values. As long as those 4 values are above 32, the light stays off. If one of the values is lower then 32, or whatever it's set at, the TPMS light goes off. On some fancier systems it tells you which wheel is low. Ours is not that fancy.

If it mattered which corner they went into, rotating your tires would be a pain in the ass, which it's not, cause it doesn't matter.

true but when and if the dealer scans to see what wheel is low it would show an incorect location. it would show a location as to where it was and not where it is. get it? but as stated it can be at any corner and the system will still work

I have personally removed the wheel sensors from my stock wheels and transfered them to a set of winter wheels and tires.

-It does not matter which sensor goes to what wheel location on the vehicle

-All you have to do is keep the original tire pressures the same with the new set.

-I have not had to have a dealer reset the TPM

I have had the TPM light come on twice on very cold days but as soon as it warmed up the light goes away. Just needed to add alittle more pressure.

Thanks. Do they just unscrew with the Torx-15 wrench? Or?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Yeah, I want top make sure I understand this. So the sensor is in the valvestem? So the tire will deflte when removed?

Sorry for being slow, I just want to be sure I get it right. Have a new set of rims and want to put the tpms on them

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

the sensor and valve stem are one piece held on by a cylindrical plastic nut.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor2.JPGhttp://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiemonitorsensor2.gif

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor1.jpg

WHERE? A transmitter with a tire pressure sensor is located inside the each tire's air valve stem. It is designed to detect low pressure only (not high or over-inflated).

The sensor contains a battery. Battery life is 10 years or 100,000 miles. When the battery fails the whole assembly must be replaced.

How it works:

When the car is turned on the warning light on the dashboard will come on for about 2 seconds. This is normal.

If the light flashes (3 seconds off, 1 second on), that indicates a problem with the system. Contact your dealer.

Each sensor has an separate ID code. When the vehicle goes 7-20 mph, a roll switch inside the sensor turns on and the sensor starts to take measurements every 30 seconds, and sends the results about once a minute to a receiver module under the carpet by the drver's door.

When a low tire (app 26-27psi) is detected a warning light in the dashboard turns on. The warning light turns on, it does not flash.

The light does not indicate which tire is low, so please check all tires.

A blow-out won't show up right away.

When the vehicle stops moving for 15 minutes, the sensor enters 'sleep' or off mode to save battery life.

Adjusting tire pressure

Be sure to let the tires cool. After adjusting the pressure, drive the car at least 20 mph (32 km/h) to start the TPMS. If a light was on due to low pressure and the pressure is now normal, the warning light should go off after driving for a few minutes. When a spare or a wheel is replaced without the original pressure sensor being transferred, the low tire pressure warning light will flash. This indicates the TPMS is unable to monitor all four road wheels. Contact your dealer as soon as possible for sensor replacement or system resetting. Do not inject any aerosol tire sealant in the tires because it will damage the sensor, do not place metal film or any metal parts under the driver's seat because this may effect the signal from the sensors.

cold temperatures? When checking and adjusting tire pressure inside when it is in cold or winter outside, the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperature is large. This means that when the vehicle goes outside into the cold air, the tire pressure may drop and the warning light come on. To avoid this, when inside, inflate the tire slightly more considering the difference between inside and outside temperatures.

Replace a wheel or use the spare? When you replace the wheel or use the spare tire without the original pressure sensor/transmitter being transferred, the low tire pressure warning light will flash. It needs all 4 sensors feeding it information.

Rotation? (updated May 2005) The system doesn't know which tire is where so there's no problem with rotations. The dashboard warning light only indicates a low tire but not which tire is low so you have to check all 4.

Parking Try to make sure the tires aren't pressing hard against the curb when you park.

FLAT repair using a can of pressurized tire repair sealant will clog the sensor and it will have to be replaced

To reset drive the car app 5 miles fater correcting for low pressure.

Tire Pressure Monitor re-set tool: To reset the system you'll need a small handheld computer.

These are available from Subaru at http://subaru.spx.com/index.asp, or try aftermarket for less money from OTC

Do you know of other systems that will reset the Subaru?

Archived