LegacyGT.com

40-42" HD Plasma TV deals?

Garandman

It seems like Plasma is the way to go and 40-42" fits our space. But LCD's seem competitive in that size.

Anyone looked at Tweeter or others for the best year-end deals?

Costco has a 42" Samsung for $1,299 online (not sure if it's same in stores) and we've had good luck with that brand.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

This would be my choice if I was buying today. Amazon is selling them for great prices (around $1400). Although you'll be sitting around waiting for the UPS man :(. I'd personally wait for the Super Bowl. They usually run great big screen TV sales the weeek before.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-42PX60U-42-Plasma-HDTV/dp/B000F6SR0O/sr=8-1/qid=1167137095/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9108967-8306833?ie=UTF8&s=electronics]Amazon.com: Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" Plasma HDTV: Electronics[/ame]

Looks like a great TV at a great price. I have a Samsung DLP and love it. The only thing I would recommend is holding out for 1080p. This TV is a 1080i. If you dont need to mount it on the wall, look at a DLP in 1080p. Samsung and Toshiba are great brands for DLP's and there are great prices out there right now.

Looks like a great TV at a great price. I have a Samsung DLP and love it. The only thing I would recommend is holding out for 1080p. This TV is a 1080i. If you dont need to mount it on the wall, look at a DLP in 1080p. Samsung and Toshiba are great brands for DLP's and there are great prices out there right now.

+1....HD and Blueray DVD are already available and the prices are somewhat reasonable for new technology so 1080p would be a smart move right now. DLP's can be great but make sure you see one in person and bring the wifey/significant other along. I don't see it but the wife does see on occasion the rainbow effect due to teh color wheels.

I have a 50" Samsung DLP set. I researched for quite a time, and realized that if you have the extra room, you can get a larger set and save more money by going the DLP route. Would have been nice to have the largest LCD or Plasma on the block, but now I just have the biggest TV period (and paid half of what a Plasma this size would cost). Also, check out Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com. They generally have pretty good deals, and at the least, have many reviewers. Good luck with your choice!
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Because it involves moving a large piece of furniture - which will have to go over the 2nd story back deck with block and tackle - I'm probably going to wait until near Superbowl time for the next round of deals. If we use the existing cabinet we're limited in size to a unit that is less than 37" wide total.

Supposedly these sold well at Xmas so the deals won't come until they have a slow month or two.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

tigerdirect I believe is something most shoppers still avoid because of poor Customer Service and bad rebates

I am sure their practices have changed since the all the lawsuits were filed and the consumers won. If I remember correctly the decision was made that if the reseller lists the price with the rebate they are just as responsible as the company claiming to give it. I recently had a rebate on a tv tuner card not show, so I contacted the company and said my next step was to go after Newegg, three days later I had a personal check in the mail. I guess they realized pissing Newegg off wasn't worth the $25.

If you want the highest resolution picture I would avoid plasmas like the plague and wait for 1080p LCD displays come down in price. Plasmas are bright and the color is great but they can't match the resolutions LCDs are capable of. Most (if not all) plasma displays down convert any HD signal to 720p. Not to mention burn in. My buddy had burn in the first week he used his LG plasma he bought a few months ago. Granted it was video game playing that caused it but I wouldn't want to have to worry about that. I don't like projection in general as a display technology but it's the only way to go (realistically) 50+ inches and it's come a long way recently. Good luck with your search

Also, don't discount lesser known brands. I bought a Syntax Olevia 42" LCD a few months ago and couldn't be happier. There are only a few companies out there that actually manufacture LCD panels. Chances are a lesser known brand TV will have a big name LCD panel in it. Read reviews, ask questions. You'll find a great TV for a great price. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net and bensbargains.net.

Archived