LegacyGT.com

Subaru Paint Quality...

nperkins

I am considering the purchase of an '07 Legacy N/A... My wife wants me to get Obsidian Black Pearl... I want Silver... I MUST have the dark interior, so those are my only color choices...

My question is this... What is the quality of the OBP Paint? I live on a dirt road, and have owned black cars in the past... I hate knicks, scuffs, swirls, spiders, and all the other lovely things associated with black cars... How does the OBP hold up? Black also tends to lose its luster very quickly, similar to red...

How the hell can someone that likes their cars to look nice live on a dirt road? I have to go 50 feet on gravel to get to my inlaws driveway...would be faster walking than the speed I drive that 50 feet. If it was any farther, they would never see me there. Buy a pick-up, get a big dog, and build a still...or move.
It is still ugly.

+1

black is awesome when clean and shiny ect ect. but i hate having to go around cleaning up the chips and scratches everywhere on the car :(. i have to say its very very soft, dad has a dark blue c230 he's leased, and even after 3 yrs of driving it around alot on the highways, theres no chips or nicks on his paint. i got like 5 on my hood the first 350mi trip i took to nyc.

I'm sort of in the same position. Live on a gravel road, want dark interior. My drive is about 5 miles of gravel.

I wish I could say differently, but the paint on the cars leaving SOA in Indiana is pretty soft. It easily scratches, etc.

Are Subarus coming out of Japan (Impreza, Forester) any better, as far as paint's concerned? Or is this just an issue with Subaru models in general, regardless of where they're made?

I've had my OBP 05 LGT Wagon for three months and love the color. Maybe I get it washed (cheap car wash that will "pull" the brushes away for you if you ask) a bit more often that I would with other colors. The great look is worth it to me.

DONT GET OBP. I HATE IT. Except right after it is waxed. paint quaility is good but impossible to keep clean. get silver or white but NOT OBP

ok... no black for me..

And I live on a dirt road that is a private road, with lake rights to a 3 mile long lake... :) Once I do the addition with garage to the house maybe i'd consider a black car... But not before then...

Especially not if the paint is as soft as you guys are telling me.

I would argue that paint in general in the states is softer regardless of company, due to regulations on VOC's, etc.

I do believe that the paint on Subarus coming out of Japan is a bit more hearty.

OH gawd, I hope not. My WRX's paint was very prone to damage. When it first came out, there were lots of complaints about "subaru shooting on the minimum paint possible". I was hoping for at least no worse on the Legacy.

Just about all carmakers have extremely soft paint it seems. My Mitsu. was extremely susceptible to being scratched and chipped by small rocks. Sometimes putting a nosemask or the 3M clear bra could prevent some issues, especially if you have a black car, the nosemask isn't all that bad looking. But, I'd never put one on my car.

All five of my Subarus have had paint thinner than a fart skin. Maybe 1-2 layers of clear on one layer of pigment. Tehsuperdupersuc. I keep buying'em though. :icon_bigg

However, one waxing will get the paint looking great. Easy to re-polish for me. I've had two black Subys, and I'd do it again. GO4IT!

BDubs... What dealer do you recommend? I have been working with Holmgren and they seem to be pretty good... You know of any other deals happening anywhere else?

<--- Griswold, CT.

I purchased my 07 from Holmgren, and they were pretty good. I truly chose them because they have an excellent service dept. My 95 Legacy was purchased from Suburban in Vernon, but from what the original owner of the car told me was that they were kinda shady. There is also Secor in New London, you may want to check them out as well, they aren't that far from where you live.

I work literally 2 blocks from Holmgren... And matt is a buddy of mine, as well as my buddies at swift send me towards holmgren too... So I'll probably buy from there..

btw... check out netuners.com its a local tuners board run by my buddies at swift motorsports. My name on there is ScrapinSi.

Just about all carmakers have extremely soft paint it seems.

Not true. There are several cars with extremely hard paint. Late model Corvettes and Benzes are good examples.

Harder paint is not always better. While it may reduce the number of rock chips, it is still suceptable to scratching and swirling. The problem is getting those scratches and swirls out when detailing the car.

I use a Porter Cable orbital buffer, Meguiar's pads and Meguiar's chemicals to detail my cars. These work great on my Subaru. Harder paint requires a rotary buffer and harsher abraisives to remove defects. And that requires a lot of practice and skills. (Ever see a car with rotary applied holograms and swirls?)

There are plenty of discussions about the problems associated with detailing hard paint on http://www.meguiarsonline.com

I'm sort of in the same position. Live on a gravel road, want dark interior. My drive is about 5 miles of gravel.

Are Subarus coming out of Japan (Impreza, Forester) any better, as far as paint's concerned? Or is this just an issue with Subaru models in general, regardless of where they're made?

Am I that much of a newb to think that ALL Subarus were made in Japan? Or is that just where my '02 WRX came from when I bought it brand new? And although not the greatest paint, I thought Subaru went with a different kind/style of paint starting in '04 that was much better then what they had been using? No matter how good the quality is, black will always show dirt more then other colors.

Archived