LegacyGT.com

Griffin Technology's iTrip and other FM ipod transmitters

GTLTDGOLFR

I have an older 20 gb ipod. I bought a Griffin itrip as it seemed the best of the bunch of the fm transmitters for ipods that worked with "all ipods". Well it came and the sound that comes through the speakers is just bad. Not necessarily staticy, but as if the sound is coming thru tin cans stretched over 100 yards.

Is this typical?

Do they only work in Kansas and other like places where there's limited competition for frequencies (I'm in central NJ)?

Any feedback's appreciated.

I have an older 20 gb ipod. I bought a Griffin itrip as it seemed the best of the bunch of the fm transmitters for ipods that worked with "all ipods". Well it came and the sound that comes through the speakers is just bad. Not necessarily staticy, but as if the sound is coming thru tin cans stretched over 100 yards.

Is this typical?

Do they only work in Kansas and other like places where there's limited competition for frequencies (I'm in central NJ)?

Any feedback's appreciated.

Yep that is to be expected. FM transmitters are a really poor solution to getting iPod audio into your radio. You get bleed over and pickup distant stations. One step better would be to use an inline antenna connection, but you are better off to...

Look up Jazzy's Subie solution

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/

About 99.9% of the people that have used it love it. It isn't perfect, but the sound is nearly CD quality.

This is on my to-do list after the holidays.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

+1 on the jazzy one. i used to run a modified belkin transmitter (oh, 3ft transmit antenna?) but the jazzy one rocks the hizzouse!

if you cant afford it, google for mods to your transmitter. mine was able to overpower 90% of the stations and transmitted for a good 15ft. the only thing that sucked was the sound quality in that it would spazz out and drop some of the low/high frequencies that were out of its range to transmit/recieve. so i got the jazzy aux-in mod. much better

that jazzy thing looks cool. I wish i'd know about it when i had the upgraded stereo components installed two weeks ago. I'm not particularly handy and looking at the instructions i don't want to take on the project myself.

Nearly everyone says it is easy per the instructions. It is just a bit intimidating pulling your car apart the first time.

Like a virginal experience, the second time you rip the dash apart, it is easier and more satisfying. :lol:

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Almost all FM tranmitter's Suck. If you want to use the FM to get signal at least get a Fm Modulator.(they tend to be a little bit better quality)

or go with the Mod everyone else is speaking of. (I havent used it;nor do I require it as mine is '07)

Archived