LegacyGT.com

Moving from NE to SE, what type of tire?

sl10002001

Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of moving from the Boston area (been here for 35yrs) to the Orlando FL area. I've always had all season generic tires as I've always had all season generic cars before my LGT haha. Anyhow my LGT will need tires soon and I'm wondering what type would be best for the southeast area. Meaning, do I still need to go with an all season tire, or should I go for a more performance oriented tire since the car will not see snow much at all moving forward?

My car is Stg2, Tein Basics. I like performance, but I do drive quite a bit and don't want to get something with too low a wear rating.

Not sure if any of the southeast brethren can chime in...

Buy some "summer only" tires and enjoy. Your biggest issues in central FL will be wet traction and hydroplane resistance.

Allow me to suggest the Bridgestone Potenza RE750. It's a great tire in every aspect with a long tread life to boot (treadwear of 340). Read the reviews at the Tire Rack - you'll see I"m not the only one who loves this tire. For about $150 a tire, you can't beat 'em.

Summer tires are all you need here and as said look for one with good wet traction as we do get a bit of rain. Our roads are very flat and smooth for the most part and although the interstate speed limit is 70mph the average speed on the interstates is 80-100mph (no really, it is...wait and see) so you'll want something that can handles those speeds and has good wet & try traction. There are several good choices out there.

I'm running the Nitto Neogens and I've been satisfied with their performance in all conditions, I've also run Goodyear Eagle F1-G3's, Falken Azenis', Kumho ECSTA 711's & 712's and Bridgestone Potenza RE050's with good results.

get yokohama advan neova ad07s best dry and wet traction tire you can buy that is streetable. According to Tirerack.com anyway. only draw back is poor tread life. but thats because they are super sticky extreme performance summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Neova+AD07

Summer only tires ftw. The RE 750 is a very good tire, but it is loud - either right away or after 10 k mi - I've had 3 friends driving on these, and each of them ended up being unhappy with the noise. If that doesn't bother you then its a great tire.

HOWEVER, there is currently available the best tire "bargain" I have ever seen. You can get the B'stone RE 050A on closeout from tirerack for $92 per in 225/45/17, and I strongly suggest you get it ! Buy a fifth tire as a spare since its on closeout. This is fabulous wet or dry - the grip is outstanding. It is also smooth riding and quiet too - quieter than my RE 92's, by a significant margin.

Other excellent options for summer only, where rain traction is important, are the Contisportcontact 2 or 3, the Dunlop SP sport Maxx, the Toyo T1-R, Avon Tech M 500 (offers great price performance, but does not have the ultimate grip and feedback offered by the 050A, and ATM is $10 more expensive, so this is just for future reference).

These are the best available IMO. The Michelin Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport PS2 are also quite excellent, but the former is loud and both are very expensive - not worth it by comparison. The Dunlop 80xx (but not the 8000, the 8000E is good though (confusing)), particularly the 8090 is also excellent and not loud, but is wicked expensive.

Good luck. Simple answer - get the 050 A's.

get yokohama advan neova ad07s best dry and wet traction tire you can buy that is streetable. According to Tirerack.com anyway. only draw back is poor tread life. but thats because they are super sticky extreme performance summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Neova+AD07

BUT this is a track tire that can be driven on the street. If this is what you're looking for great but most people dont want this kind of tire - it will be loud, wear quickly, and I'm not sure it's good against hydroplaning (could be wrong).

I wouldn't suggest a streetable track tire to someone who doesn't know what they are looking for.

BUT this is a track tire that can be driven on the street. If this is what you're looking for great but most people dont want this kind of tire - it will be loud, wear quickly, and I'm not sure it's good against hydroplaning (could be wrong).

I wouldn't suggest a streetable track tire to someone who doesn't know what they are looking for.

maybe so, but i had these tires for this past summer and they are nothing short of spectacular. I wouldnt get anything else. they arent noisy and they rarely hydroplane at all. I bet you can get 2 years worth of use out of them if you dont race on them. the are better than goodyear f1's, better than bridgestone s-03's, or 070, or 050, or 750. Its a lotus OE tire for a reason ;)

maybe so, but i had these tires for this past summer and they are nothing short of spectacular. I wouldnt get anything else. they arent noisy and they rarely hydroplane at all. I bet you can get 2 years worth of use out of them if you dont race on them. the are better than goodyear f1's, better than bridgestone s-03's, or 070, or 050, or 750. Its a lotus OE tire for a reason ;)

OK, but it's still a track tire. AND at $229 a pop, MHO is that it's just not worth it. Even the Avon is good enough for the most aggressive street driving, and the 050 is better still. What's the point if you don't track the car?

I just see no reason to drop that kind of cash on tires when you can get very close to the performance for less than half the price. Every tire I mentioned will be more than enough for the street.

Not to say your suggestion isn't a good one, but you might at least mention the bad with the good to help the guy choose. And so it's Lotus OE, and that means . . . ?

:icon_conf

Thanks for all the info guys - I like the wear rating on the RE750s but I do drive a lot so if they are noisy thats a concern. This (lots of driving) be a concern for low wear rated tires. I like the price on the RE050A's! Nice.

Very much appreciate all the opinions - I feel like there are a lot of possibilities now that i am not concerned with an all season tire!!

Archived