LegacyGT.com

Tweaking a moderately lowered setup

NSFW

I think what I want is roughly the drop i'd get from pinks, but perhaps a little more. The Swifts are a bit lower, but probably too low... The look I'm going for is one that would make a person think, "hey is that car lowered? no... no wait, I think it is..." Most importantly I don't want cops to perk up at the sight of my zoom-diggity (stealth FTW) and I want to enjoy corners a bit more (tightness FTGrin).

So my thought is to get Sprints, and get used to them - they claim to lower 1 inch front and .75 rear. Maybe I like them, if so, I'm done. If I feel the height is too low, perhaps I can bring them closer to the .5/.5 drop of pinks:

Raise the front w/ Bilstein top-hats, as per http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=813997&postcount=26

Raise the rear w/ an extra sprint seat, as per http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=814280&postcount=30

If the rear goes up by the suggested 1/4", then that's about the Pink height.

If the front goes up by about 1/2" w/ a Bilstein top-hat, that's about the Pink height too.

This is a practical way to adjust ride height? I mean, is it likely to result in a reliable system after all the tweaking?

Assume that I'll be switching to Koni dampers as soon as they are available.

Thanks!

I have H-techs I think they have the least amount of drop@ .9" all the way around. I also have 19"s with 225/35/19.

144944(1).thumb.JPG.ef76162c98c9c6776703838970fb6f93.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Pinks drop by 15 mm - .6" for metric uninitated.

The least drop available.

And it's subtle, but rather visible that the car is dropped. No cops will give you second looks.

Don't play with ghetto methods. I don't understand what you mean by raise with Bilstein top hat? You can't mix and match top hats. If you plan on Koni, it's not clear what top hats they will require (stock KYB/USDM ?).

Pinks ftw.

Pinks are high on my list (no pun intended) but I keep seeing photos here with Swifts and Tein H-Techs and thinking maybe that's not so bad. I like the idea of getting one of those and being able to shim it up a little if I change my mind.

Also like the idea of raising it back to stock height in the winter, but AFAICT most coilovers have a minimum drop that's well below stock, plus too-high rates, plus more maintenance.

As for the top hat thing, I guess you'd have to ask LittleBlueGT, since he made the claim. See the link above.

I asked LittleBlue and I am unconvinced that ghetto methods are way to go.

In JDM there are some springs, that drop front 15mm, and rear 8mm with rates similar to Pinks (TN Guts/Bestex). Mild drop plus attracive visually (no sag in the rear). I happen to have a set coming to me, maybe I'll put it on my car to see how they work.

A better option for you is to mix-and-match springs - nothing bad about it as long as you don't mix progressive/non-progressive springs, and spring rates make sense. For example a member here has Tanabe NF210 springs in front (25mm drop) and Pinks in rear (15mm drop). Perfect stance.

I asked LittleBlue and I am unconvinced that ghetto methods are way to go.

In JDM there are some springs, that drop front 15mm, and rear 8mm with rates similar to Pinks (TN Guts/Bestex). Mild drop plus attracive visually (no sag in the rear). I happen to have a set coming to me, maybe I'll put it on my car to see how they work.

A better option for you is to mix-and-match springs - nothing bad about it as long as you don't mix progressive/non-progressive springs, and spring rates make sense. For example a member here has Tanabe NF210 springs in front (25mm drop) and Pinks in rear (15mm drop). Perfect stance.

JDM tophats are a little firmer with a better bearing, at least that is what it looks like to me. They will raise front by 1/2 to 5/8.

I ended up raising my rear and stiffening a little bit by putting in iON HD rear springs.

I would not be any means call my suspension set-up getto. I will put it against any aftermarket set-up up (not coil-overs)!

I will look over what you want and give my best answer next time I am on-line.

If the rear goes up by the suggested 1/4", then that's about the Pink height.

If the front goes up by about 1/2" w/ a Bilstein top-hat, that's about the Pink height too.

This is a practical way to adjust ride height? I mean, is it likely to result in a reliable system after all the tweaking?

100% reliable. Nothing at all wrong with it, it is not ghetto, or only partly correct. In fact the car was designed to run at OEM ride height. If you raise it up a little via top-hats or an extra spring seat the car's suspension is closer to OEM geometry and is better!

Assume that I'll be switching to Koni dampers as soon as they are available.

Get good shocks. IMO stiffer springs w/o better dampers is a half-&^%ed system.

This is what I would suggest for your car:

1) Normal iON front springs: lowers front by 1.25 inches, if this is too low for you then put in Bilstein top-hats and it will be .75 inch lower. These springs are progressive and have a better performance/ride compromise then others, IMO.

2) If you only lower the front by .75 inches then iON HD rear springs if you have a sedan.  They raised the rear of my car higher then what the front sits at with normal front iONs and Bilstein top-hats.

If you have a wagon then the HD rear springs (same as above) but you may need an extra spring seat for the car to look level (remember if it looks level the rear is actually a bit higher due to the way the rear fender is designed)

***important note*** the HD rears are a little too stiff for the OEM dampers so only use if you have better dampers.

Any more questions let me know. I have tweaked my suspension to death (for a non coil-over set-up).

Here is the pic of my car before I cut my rear springs a bit.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24950&d=1158874116

Obviously the rear is too high, but I have a non-limited (maybe weighs a bit less, although I have two amps and a fibre-glass sub box), and the front is on Bilstein top-hat specific springs.

If I had normal iON springs the front would be 1/2 to 5/8 inch higher which would look pretty level to me, maybe the rear would still be a touch higher.

Archived