LegacyGT.com

Reliability survey results for the Legacy

mkaresh

After collecting data for a year, I posted the first results yesterday, and the 2005 Legacy is among them. The first stat I'm publishing is repair trips per year. (I included only trips that included a successful repair in the analysis.)

The 2005 Legacy came in at 0.45 trips/year, based on 25 cars reporting for a total of 188 months. Given the margin of error, this is typical for a Japanese car.

Results for other cars:

http://www.truedelta.com/results0906.php

Results will be updated every three months, the next time in late February or early March. The number of models and sample sizes should grow each time. Next time around I hope to have data on enough 2006 Legacies to also include that year. Details on how the research is conducted:

http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php

We're a bit past initial reliability in this case. I post the average odometer reading at the time the surveys were completed, and for the Legacy it was 15,431 miles. If a car responded during all four quarters, this would be the average of the readings at the end of each quarter.

I'm not currently adjusting for odometer readings because my analyst found no strong relationships between odometer readings and repair rates. This will no doubt change as the sample sizes grow and the data includes more older cars. (For some models I'm now collecting data on model years as old as 2000.)

I only collect data on repairs that occur after people sign up. So even if they are in a sense self-selected, they didn't know what they would be reporting at the time they decided to participate. This is a key difference from the CR and JD Power surveys. My response rate is also much higher, about 45%, which reduces the potential for non-response bias.

I am not happy with the sample size, but fully expect it to grow in the future. Got to start somewhere.

Given the small samples, I was personally surprised by the consistent patterns in the results. Nearly every model came in about where other studies suggest they should. Also, first year designs do tend to have higher repair rates even with the small samples, so there's a good chance the 2006 would have lower repair rates.

And its on 05 so there were no SpecB's :eek:

Moved to news :)

Based on the repairs people report, I wouldn't expect the SpecB to differ significantly from other Legacies (Legacys?). Unless people have been having trouble with the suspension.

On a more serious note, I am going to have to formulate a clear policy on mods. What I have in mind for acceptable mods for the survey is something like this:

Engine: intake, exhaust, and other mods that boost horsepower a maximum of 25

Suspension: Max lowering of an inch

Tires: Max of +1 over the largest available stock wheels

Any suggestions?

People who have more aggressive mods would be excluded from calculations of drivetrain and/or suspension reliability. In the future I'll be looking at reliability separately for the drivetrain, suspension, and rest of the car.

I want anyone to be able to participate, but clearly aggressive mods can have an impact on drivetrain reliability.

most everyone around here is modding...so they should not participate in survey.

I have 06 spec b with 25k miles or more.

Not one service need or complaint.

I am surprised.

Thought something would go wrong by now.. :)

Just don't even think about it!

Change the oil all the time and the thing is a champ.

Probably take it to subaru at 30k for the first time.

Let them have a look at it......

that's about it

Archived