LegacyGT.com

6 speed for mileage

my last car a 96 z-28 camaro had a 6 speed manual with a "double" overdrive. Fifth gear was a .73 overdrive and 6th gear was a .50 overdrive. What this allowed the car to do was have great performance AND good mileage. I think this would be my #1 wish for my 2005 LGT. With a set up like this freeway hauling could return good mileage and hold the performance.

I have to admit, as of yet I havent had the pleasure/opportunity of driving the 3.0R Spec-B but I would believe that with a 6MT, the RPM's would be a lot lower in top gear giving you the ability to save a little more fuel. Unsure what the gear ratio's are in the 3.0R Spec-B, does anyone know ? Adam.

It seems there is not much comment on this idea. With many posters at this sight commenting about just average fuel mileage of there cars I thought this idea could spur some interesting insight for future model updates. This is a way many cars are going to "have your cake and eat it".Performance with lower 3 to 4 gears and relaxed high speed cruising ,less engine wear and GOOD mileage for at speed. Subaru may be listening. Nobody would like to get better mileage?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I don't know about this engine with another cog- with an LT1 or LS1 you can lug that sucker and still take off- not so even with a big four banger like we have.

Wonder what the JDM Forrester STi 6mt would do for the Legacy. Doesn't it have taller ratios? Even if it doesn't and the lower gears are lower than the 5mt, the final drives could be adjusted taller, so that the lower gears even out, and the higher gears get better mileage. Or I could be completely wrong.

Iwannasportsedan clarified my point. Thank you. The JDM Forrester gearing is one way to get this done(maybe the best way). I think a 6 speed with this type set up would ice the cake for the LGT. Yes to get strong excelleration you may need to downshift OK. As it stands my car has super high speed roll on excelleration by pays for this with on the mileage end. This way you can have both.

6th gear shouldn't be an acceleration gear. On my other car, 5th would theoretically reach about 190 mph. 6th was even more rediculous, but more importantly it gave stupid low rpms at interstate speeds. Accelerating WOT in 5th without downshifting is one of the worst things you can do to your engine. It stresses the components (like the bearings) more than anything else you can imagine.

This cars top two gears (4 and 5) are already over drive but I would much prefer 1:1 in 4th and 5th .80 or something and ridiculous 6th gear to just hum along, I always downshift anyway if I need to move so I won't mind that 6th gear couldn't move well becuase thats not why I'd be using it. For reference 4th right now is .97 and 5th .74

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='John M']6th gear shouldn't be an acceleration gear. On my other car, 5th would theoretically reach about 190 mph. 6th was even more rediculous, but more importantly it gave stupid low rpms at interstate speeds. Accelerating WOT in 5th without downshifting is one of the worst things you can do to your engine. It stresses the components (like the bearings) more than anything else you can imagine.[/QUOTE] Even more than an MBC at 22 pis? :p

OK The car is a grand tourer, its got a great setup and works sweet. Now in addition to the .97 4th gear and .74 5th gear we simply add say a .55 6th gear this would drop the RPMs about 20% at speed. The change would take 80 MPH crusing from appx. 3500 RPM and drop it about 20% (700 RPM) to about 2800. The result same 1st to 5th performance but less wear and tear, and likely 1 to 2 MPG improvement. For those of us doing lots of highway driving in the days of $2.00 plus gas this would be nice. 2005 legacy gt limited 5 speed manual 2003 Accord v6 coupe 5 seed auto

I had an old 93 Legacy. In top gear It would be at 2300 rpm for 65 mph and 3100 for 80 mph. With my new 05, the rmp is 3500 for 80mph. I thought this was high, but it seems other cars are doing the same. Subaru did make a lower ratio for the top gear on the older cars for better milage. I wonder why they didn't make a 6 speed or a lower gear ratio for 5th.

Archived