LegacyGT.com

The Early Winter Storm of 12/06

The Spec. with ContiExtremes performed superbly. AWD is simply amazing.

I went on a business trip and fought heavy winds there and back and as a result my mileage dropped to 24.9 (indicated) traveling at ~75mph with some city driving in heavy wet snow conditions thrown in as an added bonus.

The NAV was great for getting around. So many ways to use it.

My trip took me to Grand Rapids and environs. The entire trip was very interesting but this post will narrow itself to the very interesting -IMHO - car stuff.

I left at 2230 on Thrusday from the Loop planning to drive until the weather got stupid. It was sleeting heavily when I jumped in the Spec.B started her up and programmed the NAV. The forecast was for "thunder" snow with accumulations of 8-12" but the winter storm warning had been pushed back to midnight. Since I was traveling east, I figured I might get a jump on the front.

The further south and east I got the warmer the temp. became. The Loop was 33F. By the time I got to the south end of Lake Michigan on I-90, it was 36F and the sleet/freezing rain turned to heavy rain.

I must say that the LGT OEM lowbeams are very good. They gave good defintion in the rain and have pretty good range. The fogs are were helpful at making slush ruts, road paint, curbs, etc. visible when that info became important. The wipers were past their "best by date" and seemed to give up the ghost all at once. :( Damn, but that makes for a long night in a heavy cold rain.:icon_mad: Then it rained harder and harder and harder.

I could see well enough but at around 2330 it dropped to 33F and I had at least another 2 hours at least at 70-75mph. But the rain was hammering down big time and getting even more fierce. The ContiExtremes were fantastic. Great confidence inspiring winter shoes for the Spec.B.

End of Part One.

Yeah contis are great.

Sometimes in heavy winds (like on a bridge) I feel like the car gets pushed a bit more than I like. Maybe because it isnt so heavy..

I've noticed that crosswinds affect the LGT quite a bit more than I've been used to with other cars in the past my most recent one being a J30t which was heavy and had pretty low roof line and overall height. The Spec. for being fairly light feels very solid but when I look at the fuel consumption gauge there is a lot of energy being used to maintain cruise. As much energy as when running into a straight headwind of the same speed. I wonder if this might be because you can't "trim" an AWD vechicle like a TwoWD car.

At 75mph with little wind, I can flicker consistantly between 25-30mpg. However, a cross or headwind will have me gauged at 20-25. A 5 mpg or 20% difference in fuel economy. :eek:

I always figure it's a problem with cruise itself. It doesn't know you've got a headwind, a slight rise or a steep hill. It just thinks "accelerate." It's no smarter than the climate control, so some terrain is going to make it lose efficiency.

True enough but I find the CC to be quite good which I put down the the ETC as far as maintaining rpm and therefore momentum. However, it surely can't anticipate conditions as you mention.

I'm thinking that because all 4 wheels are producing motive force, energy is lost because the steering input is more accute than in a TWD car that can be "pointed" into a prevailing wind causing less drag. At speeds over 60mph, aerodynamic drag is a significant energy consumer.

Had a fairly serious winter-like week last week here in the northwest. Have the Yokohama Advans. I had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.

Biggest thing was just common sense driving. Don't go too fast for the conditions. There were abandoned cars all over the place, even abandoned/wrecked Subaru's.

Yeah, tires are a factor, but I think your BRAIN is just as much a factor.

Our Subaru's will get us to pretty much wherever we need to go. If the snow is too deep, if the road is closed, if some fool in a 4X4 runs into you, ( which I almost had happen a few times ) well, it doesn't matter WHAT you drive.

All I can say is that I'm fairly confident that I can get to where I need to go in my subie....it's NEVER let me down. From my 00 Legacy, my 03 Legacy, and my current 07 wagon...the cars are plain AWESOME in teh snow!!!

schneiks.......IM SO FREAKING JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!! no sarcasm at all....ya lucky bastid...we better get some storms like that this winter in jersey.

It was pretty sweet, but unfortunately I was with my gf all day (ok not that bad ;))and she didn't want me tooling around in parking lots and such. by the time I was alone, most things were plowed.

The RE92s aren't THAT bad if you know what you're doing...A lot of people assume that since they have AWD they are untouchable. Drive with some sense and driving in the snow with the RE92s can still be fun. I'm considering getting new tires, as I have 20,000 miles on the RE92s, but is there really a need?

Last year during the first snow storm I ever encountered with the Legacy, I drove out and took a turn entirely too fast, thinking that the Subaru AWD would be unstoppable. I slid into a curb.

Maybe that could have been prevented with better tires, but now I can just as easily prevent it by 1) going slower or 2) accelerating out of the turn instead of braking.

I got into trouble one time during the big Midwest snow/ice storm last week. I wasn't going to stop as quickly as I wanted to (due to the tires slipping), so I accelerated from a stop sign into a two lanes of traffic traveling perpendicular to my slide.

I accelerated, turned the wheel, and joined the traffic. It wasn't the most safe thing in the world, but I looked both ways, saw that nothing was coming, and just accepted the slide and then accelerated.

If AWD is great for one thing, it's accelerating in the snow.

The RE92s aren't THAT bad if you know what you're doing...A lot of people assume that since they have AWD they are untouchable. Drive with some sense and driving in the snow with the RE92s can still be fun. I'm considering getting new tires, as I have 20,000 miles on the RE92s, but is there really a need?

Last year during the first snow storm I ever encountered with the Legacy, I drove out and took a turn entirely too fast, thinking that the Subaru AWD would be unstoppable. I slid into a curb.

Maybe that could have been prevented with better tires, but now I can just as easily prevent it by 1) going slower or 2) accelerating out of the turn instead of braking.

I got into trouble one time during the big Midwest snow/ice storm last week. I wasn't going to stop as quickly as I wanted to (due to the tires slipping), so I accelerated from a stop sign into a two lanes of traffic traveling perpendicular to my slide.

I accelerated, turned the wheel, and joined the traffic. It wasn't the most safe thing in the world, but I looked both ways, saw that nothing was coming, and just accepted the slide and then accelerated.

Remind me to stay off the road if you ever come to my town.

Snow tires are extermely important if you have to drive in the snow a lot. Do you need them?? NO you don't need them. You also don't need AWD. AWD without snow tires is not a very good compromise at all. You still need to stop!! I would take a FWD car with snows over an AWD car without them ANY DAY. I feel you wasted your money to buy AWD if you don't have good tires. That is if you live where you get decent snow. A good good example would be buying a great stereo receiver with crappy speakers. What's the sense if you can't use the full potential of the receiver..... Ok, just my two cents.

In central Illinois, it snows occasionally. I grew up in the Northeast so I know how to drive in the snow. With the 5EAT, the winter is the only time I ever use sport shift--and I use it to slow down. It works fantastically. (Engine braking)

Snow tires + AWD is a great combination. However, I drive in the snow about once every 3 weeks during the winter. I think I can handle that with the RE92s.

I agree with you--FWD cars are great for stopping in the snow. They just aren't so great at going. AWD and engine braking in my LGT work great for both accelerating and stopping.

ContiExtremes rock! A very close second only to the Pilot Exaltos :)

Reality check - They're good, but they're not THAT good. The exaltos are exceptional for an all season - check the reviews. This is a rare michelin where the price you pay for the level of performance is actually competetive.

:lol:

Excellent post. You HAVE to be careful driving the RE92s. You should replace them if you want to drive faster, but one CAN get by on them for winter. I do recal though that at about 20 k mi on my '95 legacy with the same farking tire that they were no longer very useful at all in the snow, slush in particular they found very little grip.

Anyway this is a good level headed view!!

The next morning, I recieved a call informing me that my first appointment had been cancelled because of the storm. Some snow had collected over night but mostly it had been a steady rattle of sleet bouncing of my motel room windows. Slept worth shit. I waited around a while to kill some time for my now earlier check in at mine next hotel and then set off.

The roads were slushy so before I left I took the Spec. into a parking lot to try some donuts. Unfortunately, the Contis were gripping too well for easy drifting.

Once on the freeway the farther north I got, the more snow there was on the road. The temp. was 32F so the roads where mostly slush covered and fairly rutted. I kept the Spec. at 65-75 to test out the AWD on lane changes through the ruts. Wow! What a different feeling than FWD and way different than RWD! So much more control.

I finally began to encounter real snow by the time I got to Grand Rapids. The Contis were fantastic with the AWD. The Spec. was unstoppable (in a good way :lol:).

End of Part II

I would take a FWD car with snows over an AWD car without them ANY DAY. I feel you wasted your money to buy AWD if you don't have good tires. That is if you live where you get decent snow.

We get snow in New Hampshire, too. My tires are entering their third winter. With 48,000 miles on them, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of them somewhat soon. I'm not in a rush, though, and I'm not worrying. Snow accumulation is a safety hazard, but I don't feel any need to buy tires specifically for it.

AWD is for go. Tires are for turn and stop, but they're below situational awareness, skill and planning on the list. With a manual, AWD is for slow, too- with situational awareness, skill and planning.

Snow was a consideration in wanting AWD. So were wet and dry. "Good tires" doesn't necessarily mean snows, especially with AWD. I can apply power more evenly with the AWD- the whole car is accelerating and decelerating, not just the front or rear end. If I were only using half of my tires to move my car around, I could see wanting great snows. I've found that when I'm using all of the tires to move it, regular ones work just fine. I don't pass too many plows, but I get around without a problem.

^ It's interesting that there is more talk of snow tires on AWD sites than most others. I was thinking along your lines when I bought my winter set up (I had to because the OEM was strictly for summer). Solid A/S should be plenty of grip for anything but mountain driving and/or frequent heavy snow in which case I would go down to a 205 size.

Reality check - They're good, but they're not THAT good. The exaltos are exceptional for an all season - check the reviews. This is a rare michelin where the price you pay for the level of performance is actually competetive.

:lol:

Dude that what I said in not so many words, read my post again lol :)

Archived