LegacyGT.com

Aero Turbine Exhaust products... any experiences?

IwannaSportSedan

Caution: backstory present and accounted for.

With all the talk of quiet exhausts... I have been mulling over my options with quieting my exhaust. It flows well, but I am starting to worry that I might be waking the neigbors.

I had my car out at my mother in law's house, and my wife took the car while I stayed... I do almost all the driving, and it was a complete suprise how LOUD that thing is from the outside. More than twice as loud as it is inside the cabin. For some reason it didn't even seem that loud the night I arrived in VT to buy the car, and had never heard it before. In Nebraska the other weekend, I could hear the car 3/4 of a mile away.

The drone is loud enough at 65mph, that you have to raise your voice to talk over it. Most of the gorgeous roads in VT that I drove on didn't get to that sustained speed, so I can understand it in that setting. Out here in flyover country, there are miles upon miles of interstate highway, and the exhaust drone creeps into your brain.

Sound, boxer burble, rumble-tone, free flow = good.

Volume turned up to eleven = too much.

So...

I have been eyeing some things. My dad has mentioned aero turbine mufflers for his mustang, so I started to look into them.

Does anyone here have any experience with Aero Exhaust components? they seem to be catering to diesel and high-output gasoline applications.

The concept is interesting, with aerodynamic chambers with an interior nozzle that expands a portion of the airflow, and then re-combines it, which creates an extraction effect. the exhaust flow, and some models have some ceramic insulation to absorb even more of the sound, without gates and baffles to impede flow through the muffler.

They also have resonators, and even y-split mufflers that are straight through designs.

The only downside is that the mufflers look like large keilbasa sausages, or something. I am not sure I want my car sporting that look under the bumper.

But, considering that they would have to be custom installed (no bolt on kit exists for the LGT...) I am thinking the mufflers could be "tucked" a little bit more than usual, up under the bumper cover, and have the tips extended slightly with a very shallow "s" bend that would put the tips into the bumper cutouts, without having the mufflers hang below the tips as much. That and some high-temp black epoxy paint might make it look better.

What I would like to do is one of the two following options that will hopefully keep or even improve the flow characteristics and sound quality, while turning the volume down a few notches.

Option 1: Partial custom.

Perrin, XO2 Racing, or other new or used 3" mid pipe and y pipe set up from the after-cat joint back, perhaps with an Aero Turbine large 3" straight-through resonator installed in the mid pipe, and 2.5 inlet and outlet aerospeed mufflers (pulled up out of sight and clearance range, painted black) with double-walled tips at the stock locations.

Option 2: Full custom.

Re-create the K2gear Riez cat-back with aero turbine parts and stainless tubing. GO from the after-cat joint into a Aero turbine steath muffler/resonator at the stock resonator location, that has a 3" inlet, and an internal V/Y pipe, and two 2.5" outlets. TWO 2.5" tubes under the rear suspension (more ground clearance than a single 3", but slightly heavier) Those 2.5 secondaries would have flange joints at some point, and go into said pair of 2.5" Inlet/Outlet Aerospeed tucked turbine mufflers, and double walled tips.

The variation on this is to use Magnaflow mufflers, resonator, and tips, rather than Aero Turbine parts...

Aero Exhaust parts, for those who want to see what they have:

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/products.html

Muffler: resonated, then unresonated, respectively.

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/uploads/AT2525XLthumb.jpg

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/uploads/AT2525thumb.jpg

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/images/performance_mufflers.jpg

They also have this muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet, and an integral 4" exhaust tip on the end.

Resonator: 3" in and out. 2.0 and 2.5 available. (use with option 1 in a pre-made aftermarket or even stock midpipe.)

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/uploads/AR30thumb.jpg

Muffler/y-pipe: (use with option 2)

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/uploads/S156thumb.jpg

Tip:

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/uploads/ST2535thumb.jpg

The K2 Exhaust that I have thought about having a custom copy made of, using above parts... http://www.k2k2.jp/img/EX/neo004.jpg

Opinions and reasonable comments welcomed... what do you guys think?

one of my co-workers has an aero muffler on his Morgan. It makes an interesting noise. It is higher pitched than one would expect. It sounds a bit like too much air going through a speaker port combined with the occasional pop from the lack of management shutting down the fuel during over-run. At lowrevs the engine is fairly lumpy so it is hard to really say how much noise is from lack of muffling and how much is from the high overlap cams.

just put a set of Borla's on and be happy. don't tell me you will lose power b/c my car made 262whp/295wtq @stage 2 93 Protune and it was 103 degrees that day. bosco

btw no drone at highway speeds.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I have been considering Borla, Autospeed, and others, as well as perrin center section, with stock, current flowmaster, or other mufflers...

I don't think it will lose power, but I want to make sure I am happy with what I end up with.

It is just that everything is so expensive, 700-1000$ just for a cat-back. These Aero turbine mufflers are less than three hundred for a pair, if you look around, and the resonator is even less expensive. That leaves some room left over for labor, pipes and tips.

And I am starting to figure that if I am going to have to get work done on a custom basis, why not replicate that cool looking K2 catback... but that is just a thought.

I just want a good straight-through resonator, a smooth, non-bottleneck y-pipe, and some mufflers that balance flow with sound reduction. Mufflers and resonator that hopefully all work to eliminate the droning.

Borlas may be just fine. their Y-pipe doesn't look as nice as some others, with a hard 90 degree bend after the differential to the passenger side. It might be fine. really anything that does better than OE. If I am going to eventually spend money, it might as well flow better than the stock midpipe.

Helix or other shorty downpipe in the future (gutted downpipe currently) unless I can find the money for a nice catted full downpipe. and headers after that, unless I try to save up for a twin-scroll setup in the farther future.

It would be nice to not have to re-address the cat-back bottleneck in the future.

I have been considering Borla, Autospeed, and others, as well as perrin center section, with stock, current flowmaster, or other mufflers...

I don't think it will lose power, but I want to make sure I am happy with what I end up with.

It is just that everything is so expensive, 700-1000$ just for a cat-back. These Aero turbine mufflers are less than three hundred for a pair, if you look around, and the resonator is even less expensive. That leaves some room left over for labor, pipes and tips.

And I am starting to figure that if I am going to have to get work done on a custom basis, why not replicate that cool looking K2 catback... but that is just a thought.

I just want a good straight-through resonator, a smooth, non-bottleneck y-pipe, and some mufflers that balance flow with sound reduction. Mufflers and resonator that hopefully all work to eliminate the droning.

Borlas may be just fine. their Y-pipe doesn't look as nice as some others, with a hard 90 degree bend after the differential to the passenger side. It might be fine. really anything that does better than OE. If I am going to eventually spend money, it might as well flow better than the stock midpipe.

Helix or other shorty downpipe in the future (gutted downpipe currently) unless I can find the money for a nice catted full downpipe. and headers after that, unless I try to save up for a twin-scroll setup in the farther future.

It would be nice to not have to re-address the cat-back bottleneck in the future.

you will screw around trying to make a set that won't be as good as the Borla set which is proven to work, sound and fit properly. i like to save money as much as anybody else but when you do the math somethings are just better to buy. whats you time and effort worth? have fun. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

you do make a good point, and a ready-made cat-back is definitely still on the table (and always has been), including borla.

It will be a little bit of time before I can move on anything, so it doesn't have to happen today. I need to sell that daft pickup truck first.

you will screw around trying to make a set that won't be as good as the Borla set which is proven to work, sound and fit properly. i like to save money as much as anybody else but when you do the math somethings are just better to buy. whats you time and effort worth? have fun. bosco

+1, and while I agree with You here...you don't use nearly enough verbage to make your point!

:lol:

Archived