LegacyGT.com

Blown Head Gasket...what next?

midgy_56

So I haven't had a chance to get on here in a while, but I ended up getting the head gasket replaced at about 128,000 miles, (with no help from subaru or the dealership). Exhaust was leaking into coolant causing the overheating. Thankfully no coolant got into the engine. But here I am at a little over 132,000 miles now and the car started overheating again. Just the same as what it did before. Coolant resivour was overflowing with coolant, temp gauge pegged whenever driving, would cool off when idling. It appears to be headgasket once again, I didn't think this would be possible after only 4,000 miles. Is there anything that would cause this?? I love my car, but this is really getting sickening.

So I haven't had a chance to get on here in a while, but I ended up getting the head gasket replaced at about 128,000 miles, (with no help from subaru or the dealership). Exhaust was leaking into coolant causing the overheating. Thankfully no coolant got into the engine. But here I am at a little over 132,000 miles now and the car started overheating again. Just the same as what it did before. Coolant resivour was overflowing with coolant, temp gauge pegged whenever driving, would cool off when idling. It appears to be headgasket once again, I didn't think this would be possible after only 4,000 miles. Is there anything that would cause this?? I love my car, but this is really getting sickening.

I would say that the job wasn't done correctly in the first place. I would be talking to whom ever did the job.:confused:

So I haven't had a chance to get on here in a while, but I ended up getting the head gasket replaced at about 128,000 miles, (with no help from subaru or the dealership).

Thats not what I like to hear. Im at 91,000 miles and Im kinda thinking well, I dont have any signs of it, maybe it wont happen to me. *knock on wood*

Cause I really dont want that to happen.

• 1 year later...

Didn't think so, but just thought I'd ask.

I'll give it a good look-down though inside and out.

Kind of a related note, but my in-laws have a 2006 Impreza, and the radiator cap blew off on them the other day...

• 3 months later...
Well it's been a few months since anyone has checked this, but I'm hoping for some input from someone. I have an 03 Subaru Legacy. A few months back we noticed a slight burning smell when I would shut the car off. Later, we noticed leaking on our garage floor. We didn't notice it sooner due to me parking on grass and/or gravel. A few weeks ago a friend of mine and her boyfriend came to visit. He just happens to be a tech for a Subaru dealership about 5 hours away. He looked at my car and told me it was definitely a leaking head gasket. My car had just under 65,000 on it. He told me he'd talk to his manager to see if they could help. So make a long story short, I called my local dealership, which is 1 hour away, they said they couldn't do anything, the warranty ran out at 60K. I called SOA and the guy told me that I HAD to bring it to a dealership before they could tell me if they would help pay for any of it, so I got a service request number and have been waiting for work issues to make the trek about 5 hours from my home to get my car fixed. The service manager told me to bring it to his dealership since he feels that I have a better chance of Subaru paying for it. I am kind of irritated since this guy (and he has called me to remind me about it) keeps tell me that they cannot tell me if they will help me out until my car is at a dealership, but a Subaru tech has already diagnosed it. Why should I drive 5 hours away and have the possibility of paying almost 2K instead of bringing it to a local garage? But I am also nervous that if I bring it to a local garage they may not do as well. Any help or anyone who has had this issue as well? Does it sound like I'm getting pulled through hoops...btw, I am a girl, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

...btw, I am a girl, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

It's a natural conclusion but, hard to be sure about. At a minimum, persistence, being forceful but not antagonistic nor combative.

Try calling the deal sand telling them you understand it is past the warranty but, you'd like to see if Subaru of America (SOA) will do anything. See if the deal will help you fight this battle if not, you'll need to try this yourself. Or, pay the $2500 to get the repair done which I think they figure most people will do.

• 1 month later...
We have a 03 Legacy with the 2.5L engine. Last fall we brought it to a dealership for a routine oil change and they told us that the head gaskets needed to be replaced and they wanted $1700. I told them I would wait on it. It has now been 8 months and I haven't experienced any of the problems that others were describing on here that would indicate they are leaking. Is there any way they could have known that the head gaskets were bad just from doing an oil change? Should I have them replaced anyway?

Don't replace em until you have problems. They told me the exact same thing back in '04 with my '96 GT. That car is still on the road today with the original head gaskets.

White smoke out the tailpipe is generally a sign of blown gaskets.

We have an 05 Legacy GT LTD wagon and were on a roadtrip from California to Texas and started to have overheating problems when we pulled into Flagstaff. Took it to Planet Subaru and they said that my radiator caps were bad. They did not have the caps in stock and put used caps on it that worked and continued on our trip. About 4 hours down the road it started to overheat when we slowed down below 65. Above 65 the temp would drop down to normal. Got to Dallas and bought new caps at the dealer and installed them. Drove around Dallas for the week and it ran fine. Headed back to Cali and about 4 hours down the road it started overheating when we slowed down again. Got back to Flagstaff and dropped it off at Planet. They found combustion gasses in my radiator coolant. Hello Headgaskets! Thank GOD I purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the car four months ago. They warrantied the head gaskets and replaced them. My baby is running wonderfully now. I LOVE PLANET SUBARU!!!
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I guess the new rule-of-thumb is any 2.5L Subie engine is going to blow a head gasket, and its not smart to expect to be the guinea pigs.

I had a 98 LGT that I paid $2000 for head gaskets and I vowed never to do it again. I sold that sucker right afterward. There have been several instances of repeatedly replacing the head gaskets.

My wifes old 05 OBXT had its own serious misfire problems, so after we got rid of that car, she got an Element and I got a Civic Si. I love them, but I miss how unorthodox Subarus are.

I'm thinking about an H6 OB in a few years, because I will not go near that 2.5L anymore.

• 1 year later...
they will keep happening......ballpark figure about every 60,000 miles

My 07 had recently had cooling issues, and at first they switched the radiator, (with an underlying fear of HG issue). The car seemed fine for about 2 months and it started overheating again. So back to the shop and they are going to do the gasket. Subaru secular trend of HG issues is worry some, but my mechanic told me that once they get replaced with the newer gasket i should be able to drive the car into the ground and not have to worry about the gaskets again.

Thoughts?

My 07 had recently had cooling issues, and at first they switched the radiator, (with an underlying fear of HG issue). The car seemed fine for about 2 months and it started overheating again. So back to the shop and they are going to do the gasket. Subaru secular trend of HG issues is worry some, but my mechanic told me that once they get replaced with the newer gasket i should be able to drive the car into the ground and not have to worry about the gaskets again.

Thoughts?

I think you'll be OK.

Archived