LegacyGT.com

Blown Head Gasket...what next?

midgy_56

About three weeks ago I took my 98 Legacy GT Limited to the dealer for an oil change and coolant flush. I had some cooling problems when I got it back which I posted about here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46967. I thought the problem was solved and wrote a letter to the dealership (Lakeland Auto), which I have attached. Then I went to my hometown this last weekend for thanksgiving and started having cooling problems again. I talked to the closest import mechanic (no subie dealer within 45 min) who told me the problem was most likely a blown head gasket. So I left the car with him to find out for sure and fix it if necessary. My car has about 128,00 miles on it, and I know this is about the time these engines are known to blow gaskets, but I still feel like the dealership at minimal expedited my blown head gasket. I still haven’t gotten a response from my first letter and I’m not really sure what to do now. I was thinking of calling the manager and maybe meeting with him, and if that doesn’t work, I would take it to SOA or the Better Business Bureau. I don’t expect them to pay for the full cost of the blown head gasket, but I would at least like reimbursement for the coolant flush and the expenses I got from that. Anyone have any suggestions or think that I would even have a decent case for SOA or the BBB? Thanks for any help.

letter to lakeland.pdf

There was a thread recently about OSA extending the warranty on these cars due to the number of problems. Not sure it went up to 128 K.

To be honest, I think the dealer covered their assets with the repair slip, they kinds inferred the head gasket was leaking. Should they have been more explicit? Absolutely. Could you have asked additional questions, sure. Did you assume they "fixed" the car correctly, yup and I might have as well.

Call or see if the dealer will contact SOA, they may be willing to offset some of the $ needed to repair your car, maybe all of it. If you are good a negotiating, call SOA yourself.

if the cooling problems just started after the coolant flush, then I would suspect that your cooling system was not bled properly, possible forgetfulness @ the dealership. Like it or not, most dealerships are flat rate, and speed is needed. Your car may just be the victim. Also ask if the dealership would do a CO test on your cooling system, after they bleed it(burp it) properly.

So I was thinking of seeing the dealership and ask them about reimbursing me for the cost incurred as a result of the faulty coolant flush, and then I was going to try to contact SOA about helping out with some of the head gasket costs. I've never delt with SOA before and was wondering if you just start with their general customer service number and work my way to the right person, or is there a certain number I should call about this issue? Also, I'm not sure if I should explain the whole problem with the service center, or if I should just talk about the head gasket and extended warrenty, how would you go about bringing this up to SOA? Thanks for the advice.

So I was thinking of seeing the dealership and ask them about reimbursing me for the cost incurred as a result of the faulty coolant flush, and then I was going to try to contact SOA about helping out with some of the head gasket costs. I've never delt with SOA before and was wondering if you just start with their general customer service number and work my way to the right person, or is there a certain number I should call about this issue? Also, I'm not sure if I should explain the whole problem with the service center, or if I should just talk about the head gasket and extended warrenty, how would you go about bringing this up to SOA? Thanks for the advice.

I've no experience with SOA but did try this once with Toyota.

You can search through the threads here, but gear up this won't be simple or likely single phone call. You'll need plenty of persistence, SOA is not going to simply volunteer any money.

Just a thought, I'd see if you could get the dealer to try for reimbursement as well as you going direct to SOA - a dual pronged attack.

Tough to be patient when your car is not working.

• 1 month later...

This is a little off post, but here it is anyway...

Wife's '05 BAJA with a N/A 2.5 --

Started using antifreeze at the 15k mile oil change. Called dealer - they said to keep an eye on it. At 18k mile oil change still using antifreeze. 18,500 puked out a quart of antifreeze. 20k puked a half gallon twice in 400 miles. 20,600 miles took it in for a check. They said the radiator cap failed - it over heated -- and that in turn blew the head gasket. It never did reach the red zone (I payed attention!) I THINK that it was the other way around... that the head gasket blew first.

The car is at the dealership now for repair. I just hope they machine the heads and do BOTH sides while they have it in the shop. I also asked them to replace all the belts, even if I had to pay the cost.

This makes me wonder how long the repair will last. It also makes me question why I ordered a new Outback with the same engine in Mid December.

Thank God for warranty!

There is a Subaru Program # WWP99

Covers pre-2005 2.5L engines with this exact problem including Impreza, Forester, Legacy and Outback.

If you know a mechanic that subscribes to the Alldata network, they can pull the program info from there and give you a copy. A buddy at work has a 2001 Legacy Wgn that went through 2 head gaskets in 140,00 kms. Cost him well over $3K to fix out of pocket. Now it looks like he'll get his money back...or some of it.

C

There is a Subaru Program # WWP99

Covers pre-2005 2.5L engines with this exact problem including Impreza, Forester, Legacy and Outback.

C

Got the Baja back last night -- warranty covered everything. Seems to be OK now -- Just hope it stays that way.

What about those like me that have a 2005 or later? I beginning to wonder. And how about the 2007 Outback with the same 2.5L that I have on order? I better just keep my cars new enough, that their covered under warranty, I guess...

sorry to burst your bubble, but so far 05+ has not been fixed, and i don't believe they will. I recently did an 05 OB w/ 13k. several 05's have come in, and someone recently did an 06 w/ 25k, they will continue!!! the engineering change to the head was to the variable valve stuff. the leaks are caused by the design of the block, not the head, anyway.

What state do you live in? Different states have different programs in place.

If you go to ultimatesubaru.net, you'll find hundreds of posts about HG problems. SOA steadfastly denies there is any problem wit hthe Phase I 2.5l engine. It is INCREDIBLY DUMB for them to do so, as in New England a lot of "traditonal" Subaru customers are now purchasing other brands. The only silver lining is that the resale value for H6 models has improved as they seem thus far immune.

Contrast this with Ford, who many people here routinely stomp on every measure of automotive design, quality and performance (makes you wonder how they achieve sales of over $175 billion a year...). My mother's 1992 Mercury Sable had an overheat problem eventually resulting in a blown headgasket. Despite the fact that the car was 8 years old, they replaced the engine with a rebuild for the cost of fluids and belts - about $100.

I blame in part the combination of Japanese senior managers and American middle managers. The Japanese may be quality conscious but don't seem to understand the scope of the problem and the impact it is having on the brand. The American middle managers are ambitious and feel that short term success is fostered if they sweep it under the rug.

It reminds of the old joke about the difference between heaven and hell. In heaven the waiters are English and the Chefs French. In hell, the waiters are French and the chefs are English. The new Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 are cutting a swath out of the folks who would otherwise be buying their 3rd or 4th Subaru. And if you're on your 3rd or 4th, the Tribeca isn't going to be your 4th or 5th.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So am I to assume that this will happen again with my '05? Have any been repaired a second time?

And yes, I am going on my 4th new Subaru in under 2 years.

I like the dealership and their service department (that's what keeps me buying.)

Call or see if the dealer will contact SOA, they may be willing to offset some of the $ needed to repair your car, maybe all of it. If you are good a negotiating, call SOA yourself.

Yeah right. I contacted SOA multiple times about a certain dealer's inability to fix my speedometer. I was the one in the end to provide the solution. SOA told me that my vehicle was well out of warranty and if I have any problems to take it up with the service center and not SOA. Makes me wonder if Ill ever buy another Subaru, though I probably will.

I stand corrected!

I had heard that Subaru had made some engineering changes to the engine to alleviate the HG issues on the 2.5...guess I heard wrong. Damn....that was one of the reasons I bought an 05 GT.

Anyway, when you say to buy the H6, any turbo or the older 2.2, do you mean that the 2.5 turbo is relatively immune to the HG issues? Just want a little clairification on that point...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OK...timing is crazy...since my last post, my head gaskets blew and were replaced under my Subaru extended warranty, which turns out to be one of the best purchases I ever made! What a mess. I pulled into my garage and there was smoke coming out of the wheel well and I opened the hood and there was some in there too and I got it to the dealer ASAP and they confirmed it was the head gaskets and replaced them. Crazy. Plus, my warranty expires in 2500 miles so I just made it! But still, I was extremely disappointed that this happened.

OK...timing is crazy...since my last post, my head gaskets blew and were replaced under my Subaru extended warranty, which turns out to be one of the best purchases I ever made! What a mess. I pulled into my garage and there was smoke coming out of the wheel well and I opened the hood and there was some in there too and I got it to the dealer ASAP and they confirmed it was the head gaskets and replaced them. Crazy. Plus, my warranty expires in 2500 miles so I just made it! But still, I was extremely disappointed that this happened.

And your mileage was????:icon_conf

happened at 77500 miles...warranty expires at 80K...The dealership said my VIN was not one of the "affected" ones necessarily. But either way I am sure glad I had that warranty. Now - is this something that will happen again, or am I relatively safe? If it is going to happen again, I am saving up for a new car because I am not interested in replacing the head gaskets every X miles. Especially at such a high cost (when out of warranty)...

Archived