LegacyGT.com

Dash board lights on ! Please help**

If the car is coverd under warranty and the cel is popping on its just a given that there is a problem and you should take it back, especialy if there are multiple lights going off. Other wise whats the point in there even being a warranty.

^ That's one way to look at it - but the other way to approach this issue is that I like to know what's wrong with my vehicle, myself, and especially in cases where it's something simple that I can address, I will do so myself, to insure that the job is done right.

Sure, I can easily take her to an oil-change place, but I know that when I do it myself, I'm neither overfilling nor underfilling, and that I'm not cross-threading the filter, etc.

The flashing cruise w/constant CEL condition typically signals something awry that's "non vital" to engine health - and since I have the tools necessary to make a basic diagnosis (OBD-II scantool, etc.), there's no reason why I should not tackle the problem myself, especially for something that's "known," such as this very same "CEL/Er. SS" condition.

------

Update:

Well, the battery-negative pulling didn't work.... gonna look at hardware, but I still suspect that it's sensor related (since the snow-bank was soft snow; however, I do understand that as soon as I started spinning the tires, it quickly compacted, and could have caused one of the wires to pop off), and will require a little "recalibration" via simple road-miles.

Will-update. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

This just happened to me today. we have a big snow here in Boston. I was stuck and I wasn't able to get the car out (I did gas a few time but no luck). then check engine, ABS and cruise control light came on. I didn't turn the car off right away, but I did put in park and went to the neighbor to borrow a sholve. About 10 minutes later, the ABS light went away but the check engine is still on with flashing cruise light.

So I can just unplug the negative (black) cable off the battery and that will go away? My car is still under warranty, I can bring it to a dealer sometime next week or I can just do it over the weekend and save myself a 3 hour trip (to/from plus wait time).

If I didn't unplug/reconnect the negative (black) cable, can I still drive the car for a while before my next oil change?

Bumping this old thread....

Got this strange combo of lights today - flashing main cruise light, solid CEL, mated to the ABS light.

Dash read ER SS - that's the vehicle speed sensor, if I'm not mistaken.

The OBD-II reader pulled a generic P0500 (zero-five-zero-zero), which was read as a speed sensor malfunction. Two of them, actually.

I cleared the code by resetting my ECU using my datalogger, but the ABS light remained.

Pulled the ABS fuse, the light is still there.

I've now pulled the battery negative terminal, and will wait a while before reconnecting to see if that solves the problem.

This was incurred as I tried to enter my driveway today. We'd just received a massive amount of snow (there's over 3 feet on my front lawn), and although we get our driveway plowed, the area where it meets the road is often overlaid with the city plows' run-off. I actually almost got stuck (running 225/45/17 Falken ZIEX ZE512 all-seasons at 38/36, f/r, cold)...but she pulled herself out of it.

Never stalled - but the wheels were spinning like mad. I would guess this is the "speed mismatch" that everyone here's talked about.

My neighbors were all fascinated that this little blue sedan was revving and making all sorts of weird turbo and BOV noises. :lol: The entire street turned to look, and some even cheered when I got her down the drive. :lol:

Will-update.

hey i got stuck today too on a huge bank of snow. The ABS, CEL and blinking cruise. After i stopped the car i started it back up an hour later and the abs was still one, but i moved few feet forwards and backed up and the abs light went out. i still have the Err 55 or SS

^ Hey bro, if you need to, swing by my place, I can read the code and clear the CEL for you. Gimmie a call on my cell, you still have it in your LERSOC PMs, I believe. :)

-----

kuoman - Like brother PhilT said, you'll definitely want to pull the code before you clear it. You can never be sure exactly what it is, so it's *always* a good idea to pull it before clearing/purging.

----

Update -

As it turns out, all that the car needed was just about 5 feet's worth of forward travel, and the ABS light went off. :lol:

IAM went back up to 1.0 almost immediately - less than 5 miles traveled. Dang that Tim Bailey/PDXTuning knows what they're doing! :)

Oh, that's right, I also dug-out/pushed-out two of my neighbors this AM. One was an "AWD" Volvo - and unlike Winky, his Volvo wasn't lowered. Subaru AWD FTW!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

When I start the car this morning, both lights went away. I didn't do anything since I turn off the engine last night...

^ Hey bro, if you need to, swing by my place, I can read the code and clear the CEL for you. Gimmie a call on my cell, you still have it in your LERSOC PMs, I believe. :)

-----

kuoman - Like brother PhilT said, you'll definitely want to pull the code before you clear it. You can never be sure exactly what it is, so it's *always* a good idea to pull it before clearing/purging.

----

Update -

As it turns out, all that the car needed was just about 5 feet's worth of forward travel, and the ABS light went off. :lol:

IAM went back up to 1.0 almost immediately - less than 5 miles traveled. Dang that Tim Bailey/PDXTuning knows what they're doing! :)

Oh, that's right, I also dug-out/pushed-out two of my neighbors this AM. One was an "AWD" Volvo - and unlike Winky, his Volvo wasn't lowered. Subaru AWD FTW!

• 8 years later...

Got this problem after i tried to park my car in deep snow in Mestia (Georgia.Svaneti).

It was continiued abou 5 second my car drift. Check engine and abs light went turned on. My jdm 2006 legacy has si drive and none of them was working.. i unpluggednegative wire of battery. After 20minute check engine cleared. But abs still on. Ihope after read this thread 2-3 km ride will clear this abs light off.. but here is -6 celsius and road is frozen.. dont know what to do without abs.. hope sun will give uss much warm beams

Archived