LegacyGT.com

Shopping for a GT or L: many questions...

Hello All,

I'm in the market for an '01 to '05 Legacy...preferably with an auto box and sunroof.

- The ones I've looked at have between 40 and 90k. What is the timing belt/water pump replacement interval?

- It sounds as if the 2.5 is an interference engine, yes?

- What is the necessary maintenance that's required as the car reaches 100k? I ask because an 80-90k+ car may be a good deal, but I'd rather not have to do a ton of maintenance and work that appears to be required at that mileage.

- Lastly, any tips regarding these cars -- pre-sale, or upon owning one -- would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Theo

Welcome. Timing belt is 105K. Water pump, not to sure. My previous Legacy was at 75K, however I have 85K on my current Legacy and have no need for a new one.

As far as 100K, not to much. Some are prone to head gasket failure. If you start the car and there is white smoke comin out the tailpipe, I wouldnt risk it.

Thank you for your help!

Welcome. Timing belt is 105K. Water pump, not to sure. My previous Legacy was at 75K, however I have 85K on my current Legacy and have no need for a new one.

As far as 100K, not to much. Some are prone to head gasket failure. If you start the car and there is white smoke comin out the tailpipe, I wouldnt risk it.

what is an interference engine?

In an interference engine, the valves may interfere with the motion of a piston if the timing belt/chain breaks. The result is usually bent valves and possibly other ruined parts which would necessitate an engine rebuild.

The opposite of this is a non-interference engine where there is sufficient clearance for the pistons to travel through their cycle without colliding with the valves at their fully open position.

Why would you design an interference engine, anyway? The reason is increased efficiency plus the probability of losing a timing belt/chain is pretty low. However, if the owner neglects to replace the timing belt when required, he risks serious engine damage and expensive repairs.

In an interference engine, the valves may interfere with the motion of a piston if the timing belt/chain breaks. The result is usually bent valves and possibly other ruined parts which would necessitate an engine rebuild.

The opposite of this is a non-interference engine where there is sufficient clearance for the pistons to travel through their cycle without colliding with the valves at their fully open position.

Why would you design an interference engine, anyway? The reason is increased efficiency plus the probability of losing a timing belt/chain is pretty low. However, if the owner neglects to replace the timing belt when required, he risks serious engine damage and expensive repairs.

lol, wow. what are the chances that a 98 Toyota Camry has an interference engine?

lol

Archived