LegacyGT.com

Camry named '07 MT Car of the Year - puke!

Counterpoint:

Ok fine the Camry dosen't have the ultimate performance numbers but anytime you can have a 3.5L V6 with 268hp and 22/31 mpg with a six speed auto its still pretty nice. I'm pretty sure that it would take a stock 5eat Gt from a roll anywhere. And it dosen't have bumper bloat.

You could do it in the larger Hyundai Azera for less, too, and it gets 26+ mpg on the highway and has a 10yr warranty. I didn't see MT giving it any awards when it came out, yet it has the Camry covered.

Maybe they should rename the award the Golden Navel...

Counterpoint:

Ok fine the Camry dosen't have the ultimate performance numbers but anytime you can have a 3.5L V6 with 268hp and 22/31 mpg with a six speed auto its still pretty nice. I'm pretty sure that it would take a stock 5eat Gt from a roll anywhere. And it dosen't have bumper bloat.

I'm generally no Camry fan (test drove a used one for my wife b4 we bought her a new 2000 VW Jetta -- the late 1990s Camry was floaty as a Buick.) but the current Camry is a damn fine looking car. I have no idea what driving one is like but Toyota has finally gone a little edgy with its styling I think it works. Aggressive looking car.

what a frickin joke. the "all new" Camry is named the 2007 Motor Trend Car of the Year. talk about mass-commercial jibberish.

Some rationale for winning as stated by MT Editor-in-Chief Angus MacKenzie, "hot-selling, broad appeal, performance, efficiency and roominess — at a price point most Americans can afford."

Wow. those are impressive figures. a technological marvel. :rolleyes:

I know we all feel the 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec.B is an absolute SLAM-DUNK better choice then a generic, geriatric car like the Samry. But it seems like MT makes their decision based on consumer volume sales rather then engineering, dynamics, true performance, safety (LGT Spec.B just picked by Insur. Institute), styling and innovation.

MT selection process: Top seller = Car of the Year

the suspense is killing me for '08

No offense, but you're joking, right?! Styling wise, the LGT Spec.B still looks like an old Camry, so no wild styling there. The LGT Spec.B gets pretty bad gas mileage (I'm not a complainer about it, but facts are facts), the rated horsepower available for both models is similar, Safety is going to be very similar between the vehicles. Give the LGT front wheel drive and better interior materials and you'd have a Camry.

Don't get me wrong, I love the LGT for what it is, but a marvel it is not. I would hardly consider the '07 changes significant enough to consider it a new car over the '05s.

Umm apparently you dont pay much attention to Motor Trend, their car of the year has been a running JOKE for a long time. My personal favorites in bold.

2006 Honda Civic

2005 Chrysler 300

2004 Toyota Prius

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe / Sedan

2002 Ford Thunderbird (oh you mean the one they cancelled?)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2000 Lincoln LS (oh you mean the one they cancelled?)

1999 Chrysler 300M

1998 Chevrolet Corvette

1997 Chevrolet Malibu (what can you say)

1996 Dodge Caravan

1995 Chrysler Cirrus

1994 Ford Mustang

1993 Ford Probe GT (a mazda with a ford body kit?)

1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ (HELOOOO!)

1990 Lincoln Town Car

1989 Ford Thunderbird SC

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix

1987 Ford Thunderbird

1986 Ford Taurus LX

1985 Volkswagen GTI

1984 Chevrolet Corvette

1983 American Motors Renault Alliance

1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

1981 Chrysler K-cars, Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant

1980 Chevrolet Citation (yeah the same ones that blew up when you hit them from the back)

1979 Buick Riviera S

1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon

1977 Chevrolet Caprice

1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2 V-8

1974 Ford Mustang II

1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1972 Citroen SM

1971 Chevrolet Vega

1970 Ford Torino

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

1968 Pontiac GTO

1967 Mercury Cougar

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

1965 Pontiac Motor Division

1964 Ford Motor Company

1963 American Motors Rambler

1962 Buick Special

1961 Pontiac Tempest

1960 Chevrolet Corvair

1959 Pontiac Motor Division

1958 Ford Thunderbird

1957 Chrysler Corporation

1956 Ford Motor Company

1955 No Award

1954 No Award

1953 No Award

1952 Cadillac Motor Car Division

1951 Chrysler Corporation

1950 No award

1949 Cadillac Motor Car Division

Good-God...

Mustang II ?!?

wow. seems like we got some Samry envy going on here.

I'm sick of hearing the Legacy looks like a Samry. I've had, quite literally, countless number of impromptu encounters with everyday people at a gas station, car wash, parking lot (you name it) making an unsolicited compliment on the looks and styling of my LGT. I'd bet my next paycheck you could drive a Samry around for a year and not get 2 unsolicited compliments about it's styling or personality (or lack thereof). Period.

Personally, I liked the Camry styling about 3 models back when it looked like a miniature Lexus LS. In fact, I bought one. It was very quiet, nice ride, and probably is still rolling around somewhere in the San Diego area.

But the Legacy GT - Spec.B or not - is so much more of a driver's car. Sure, the Samry is a great family car and people-mover. That's it. And I don't care that its rated close to 300 hp. Its the slowest near 300 hp car on the road. I know a boring Honda Accord sedan 6MT would walk it easily.

I'll reserve judgment on the new camry until I drive one. The styling is better in person than the pre-release pix. Big endorsement from my brother, who is just about the pickiest person I know: he bought TWO!

I don't care for the styling of the current generation, but It's not a bad car...especially for the masses who need the reliability of a refrigerator and give a car about as much care as they do their refrigerator. Remember "soul" and "charachter" are usually euphemisms for "issues" and "problems". Every car contains dozens of compromises...I can name about a dozen things I hate about my GT...but I still bought it and drive it and live with the compromises. If I was looking for another 4 door sedan and couldn't buy a Legacy, the Camry would be on my short list. Did anyone post the other contenders for this year's "award"?
It is still ugly.

Archived