LegacyGT.com

Adding a subwoofer (Basslink) - Best location for speaker wire access?

Fantastipotamus

Hey everyone,

I had an Infinity Basslink in my old STi, and when I traded up to my new Spec B, I pulled it out and planned on putting it in my new car, since about the only thing lacking is a little more bass.

Couple questions though:

1) how tough is it to remove the interior trim bits? are they a struggle?

2) where is the best place to graft into the speakerwires? I thought about just running them all off the back speakers, but that's less than ideal for a number of reasons. Is in the dash/behind the headunit the best location?

3) If the dash is the best way, can anyone tell me how to remove the climate control/stereo face without damaging anything?

4) or is it difficult enough that you'd recommend I have an installer handle it? I wouldn't mind doing this, it's just a bit more of a pain. :)

Thanks everyone. :)

its not that hard, pick up the subwoofer harness from this guy

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Subwoofharness.htm

and run the power cable up the left side of the fender (do a search on here for best way to run power wire)

run wires to the back and your good, do some reading on here youll find all the info you need.

Am I reading that wrong? That looks like a harness for the Subaru subwoofer only..

Applications:

Install the Subaru under-seat subwoofer in another car

Repair a damaged Subaru subwoofer T-harness

Build your own harness for a Subaru subwoofer (you'll also need the appropriate 'forward' wiring adaptor to connect to your car and a reverse harness to connect to your radio)

I have a non-Subaru sub, I just need wires to tap in to.

I've got a brand new spare set of forward and reverse harnesses from that guy - PM me if you want them (I sold my car). This will allow you to get your speaker level signal with no cutting or splicing of the factory harness. Then, run speaker wire to the sub and power for the sub to the battery and you're done.

I've got a brand new spare set of forward and reverse harnesses from that guy - PM me if you want them (I sold my car). This will allow you to get your speaker level signal with no cutting or splicing of the factory harness. Then, run speaker wire to the sub and power for the sub to the battery and you're done.

Would you mind explaining them to me a bit more? Not cutting the factory wires would certainly keep things more attractive to me.

Do they plug into the headunit somehow? Or do they plug into the speakers, just providing connections to the speaker-level inputs?

I am interested, yeah, just curious about how they work, because the ones on that page look like they're only for the Subie sub. :)

the radio has a MOLEX input. The factory harness has a MOLEX plug (male). You take one aftermarket male harness and plug into the radio and the other aftermarket female harness to plug the factory harness into. This gives you a ton of loose wires you have to connect. Most get connected directly together, while the rear speaker outputs you can also daisy chain some extra speaker wire to run to your subwoofer.

Basically, you just connect up two plugs with loose wire instead of cutting the wire on teh factory harness.

If none of this makes sense to you, please pay a visit to your local 12V audio shop. They can install the sub for $75 or so (and I'd still give them the harnesses to use so they don't cut your factory wiring).

Archived