LegacyGT.com

Just drove back w/ new short throw!

Hey all... I dont know how many of you got the dealer installed short throw..I wanted to give my 2 sense on it.... It's sweeeeet!!!!! I just drove back and got back to my office... If your driving the manual and dont want to wait for aftermarket I suggest getting it from the dealer (plus its covered under warranty) $360.00 for the short throw $160 (abouts) for labor... now I can shift twice as fast to 4,000 RPM!!!

I ordered the short shift, momo knob, and pedal set with my GT wagon. when I picked it up, the dealer said it was installed, and the old shift was in a box in the back. the "old" shifter has anodized gold control arms, just like the STI short shift shown in the catolog. my dealer said the stock shifter is also gold - can any once confirm? (i.e., if you have a short shifter, what color are the rods on the one you got back in the box...) thanks :?:

My stock assembly has gold rods. Someone posted a picture of the two side by side and they didn't look any different: [url]http://legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3739&highlight=shifter[/url] The short shifter basically moves the pivot point up slightly. The rod that it attaches to is bent a little differently, which is key. I had to grind away a portion of the metal plate that surrounds the assembly so that the straight rod wouldn't rub with my Kartboy short shifter. I had to do the same thing with my WRX. It's well worth the savings ($110 for the shifter, $0 for the 15 minutes it takes to make the swap). Either way you go, a set of Kartboy bushings is an improvement as well. Chris S.

LOL... Ok... I'm sorry I meant cents... I wasnt thinking and typed it in fast...my other sense's are working over time when I'm in the Legacy so when I come back and start saying stuff wrong please understand my mind is on driving down a twisty road w/ the sunroof open, and Carmen Electra sitting shot gun screaming "faster! faster! Oh WRX2LGT (cause thats my real name) you make me so hot when you drive fast!" I look over at her slide my sunglasses up w/ my right hand "wink" then grab the shifter down shift into 3rd and take off.....(que helicopter camera to pan up and away from Legacy as WRX2LGT drive off at incredible rate of speed)

[quote name='powbmps']My stock assembly has gold rods. Someone posted a picture of the two side by side and they didn't look any different: [url]http://legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3739&highlight=shifter[/url] The short shifter basically moves the pivot point up slightly. The rod that it attaches to is bent a little differently, which is key. [/quote] powbmps is correct - look closely at where the shift linkage attaches to the shift lever. The short shift has it's attachment about an inch higher on the shift lever. They are otherwise identical. I've decided that the STi STS is more accurately a medium throw shifter. After a trip around the block, it feels normal. I guess it boils down to if you like the height of the stocker, and you don't want to increase the effort too much (and you want a SOA warranty), get the STi STS. If you're looking for a super short throw, lower shift lever, don't mind the mechanical feel that more leverage hides, and want to spend half as much, get the kartboy.

Archived