LegacyGT.com

Thoughts in my audio plan please?

GTLTDGOLFR

I've got a new Legacey GT. I'm happy with the stock radio/changer, but would like to upgrade w/ quality but have limited funds. My current plan is as follows:

1. Replace the fronts w/ JL XR650-cxi's.

2. Replace the backs w/ JL VR650-cxi's or JL TR650-cxi's.

3. Add an amp (thinking Rockford Fosgate P 850.4 or Pioneer Premier PRS-D4000F.

Here's where I can use help:

1. Is this generally a good plan? I'd buy the components on line and have them installed locally.

2. Speaker choice: What do you think? What about the choices for the back?

3. Power amp: Which is the better choice? Is there something else considerably better for the same $$$.

4. I plan on skipping the subwoofer to save $$ and space. I'm more of a sound quality guy than a loud music guy. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you really want some quality, try to get yourself a JL Cleansweep (plenty of info on this site and via Google). Even though it costs a mint at roughly $300, I'd get that, and pass on upgrading the rear speakers. The Cleansweep will EQ out all of the nonsense introduced by the factory headunit, and should improve low-end response.

I would also recommend some sound deadening. Our cars are quieter than most econoboxes, but mine is still is annoying at highway speeds. I suggest RaaMaudio's RaaMmat.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

1. good choices on speakrer, though for the rear i would just go TR

2. there are better amps IMO than those...i suggest a 5 channel amp to save room for hte sub

3. if you are truly a sq guy, then you need a sub to get you the full range sound spectrum, subs are cheap to come by now...

by the way, i do have some subs and an old school 4 channel amp for sale :)

b

I really wouldn't consider that a true budget system, as your willing to spend some $$$. Add a cleansweep or RF 360.1 to your budget. What's the point of nice speakers and clean power if your going to distorted the original signal?

The JL's are nice, use the XR upfront and the TR in the back. Check out Focal and CDT as well. Add some $$ for dampening the doors. As for the amp, take a look at the Alpine PDX 4.150 for the $400-$500 range. Small space requirements and 150x4 power...

With a fiberglass enclosure, you're not going to give up much space. Less than .7ft tucked in the corner of the trunk with a good 10" sub and you're good. True sounds comes with bass, I agree there should be clean highs first that bass compliments...

Here's what I ended up w/ on the basics:

Here's what I ended up w/ on the basics:

JL Audio XR650-Cxi speakers in the front

Stock speakers running off stock stereo in the back

Polk Audio MOMO MM2104 10" subwoofer in a closed box

MTX Audio TC6004 4 channel amp

If somebody wants to share recommendations on the cleansweep/equalizer portion of the equation looking closely at cost, feel free.

And thanks for all of your input so far.

If it were me I'd take the sub money & put it toward some kind of EQ or CS. You can get respectable bass from those fronts alone - it's not sub bass, but you're not building a competition system & subs are only 10% of a system. They can add impact but aren't necessary for a good sounding system, plus with the 4 ch amp it's an easy upgrade later.

Conversely, what you've got there, especially with the sub, ain't gonna sound very good with the stock HU w/o equalization. That system is hamstrung from the start.

You're gonna get a lot of alternate opinions on that b/c so many ppl put emphasis on the subs as being the key to a good system. I don't think that mindset matches what your original goals are & don't agree that subs are really that important anyway.

[Here comes basshead PGT, he's cracking his knuckles, gettin' fired up...]

Best bet is to go listen to those JL front speakers in a shop playing full range with similiar power. If there's enough bass response to keep you happy for the time being you're much better off spending the allotted $$ on the EQ. A simple trunk-mounted EQ can be cheap & serve your purposes fine. You can always add the sub later.

no sub? UNSPEAKABLE!! :lol:

I've been satiated with a simple 8" driver and 100 watts (true story!). Something to be said for the extra clarity and headroom of using electronic crossovers and letting the main speakers do what they were intended to do while a sub handles the rest.

• 2 weeks later...
FYI, everything's installed and the sound is good. I don't know how much better it'd be w/ another $300+ for the Cleansweep but I'm happy enough for the time being to look to performance mods the next time I have some extra $$ to put into the car.

Congrats on getting it done. It should be better than stock in any case... Enjoy!

If you ever find $300 burning a hole in your wallet and you're willing to take your dash apart again, check out the Fosgate 360.1. I'm not a huge RF fan, but the control this device offers looks great. I'll be adding one soon.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4981

Where did you mount the amp? Did you dampen the doors?

The amp is velcro'd behind the right back seat and the subwoofer's on the left. I didn't put any materials in the doors. Perhaps next time I have work done...

The guy who installed the system's going to do some exhaust work soon. He's also a cobb tuning dealer so I'll be buying that as well. He might just become my second wife... :wub:

Archived