LegacyGT.com

Replace K&N Typhoon filter with another one that doesn't use oil?

ogradnis

I don't know if it's possible or not. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the K&N filter on the Typhoon intake with a cone filter from another intake that doesn't require the use of oil on the filter?

Before anyone says it, I realize the stock system doesn't use oil; I'm not interested in going back to the stock airbox. I like the intake sound and the underhood look. However, my filter is starting to look like it needs to be cleaned for the first time and I am just investigating other options that don't require oil.

What would happen if I washed the K&N filter and didn't put any oil on it before putting it back on?

Is it possible to get the cone for the blitz intake by itself? Any experiences with the blitz intake? (problems, comparisons in sound, etc)

^^Exactly, you just need some basic measurements, and it is pretty easy to find cone filter's that'll fit from other manufacturer's.

Not oiling a K&N will allow tons of small particles to get by, as the cotton gauze used, by design, is full of holes! The oil helps to close these holes up, and attracts the dirt. As the dirt builds up, it actually tends to increase the filter's filtering abilities...

wow that's a great article. I was suspicious of whether or not steel mesh could be woven tightly enough to filter propertly, yet still increase air flow. This article seems to confirm my fear that the filter sacrfices filtration for flow.

I had looked at the A'pexi because it was a dry cone filter and replacement cones are sold for not too much more than quality drop in filters. That may be the one I go with.

Any experience with them?

Archived