LegacyGT.com

Suspension Set-up Advice & Suggestions

sportwagon

Don't penalize me for having the best suited tires (Nokian WRs) for the geographical location where I live... It is winter (sort of)!!!

it's not really a penalty, remember, it's an all-season tire, it's well rounded for a lot of difference uses, but as I said for the scale I gave where 10 is race car level response, that's all.

If you end up getting stickier tires, this will make the rest of your suspension parts a lot more pronounced.. that's where you are one step closer (as a whole) of earning a point towards that kind of higher performance levels.

You're also talking to a guy that runs on r-compounds in the slush and snow for the past 2 years just because it just snowed for one silly day that didnt have any trailing effects to the daily commute to work for the remainder of the week. yes, Im that crazy to drive in the snow covered ground with R-compounds (heck I did it on a race track, driving at lower speeds on public roads is a piece of cake, it's the other drivers I worry about).

Im being really easy going on the scaling, because in the winter, you want actually a very soft setup with skinny tires to cut through the snow.. that's why Subaru designed the GT as-is out of the factory.. the only real downfall that the car has is using very simplistic tires due to cost.. but aside from that, the GT can surely drive through unpaved roads and handle way better on such roads than compared to your car with the modded parts. This another reason why I left my scoring so widely interpreted.. there's a big difference in setting up a WRC race car and a Road Race car in terms of suspension performance. (and a WRC car has a totally different setup from Snow/Ice vs Mud/Gravel vs Tarmac/Hard-Slick Surfaces)

Keefe

Keefe- What springs do you think would be better suited for my heavier rear suspension? I was hoping that the pinks with the JDM GT struts would be the perfect combo...

Thanks!

Did you think about getting a coilover setup?

Or possibly a set of Swift springs? Perhaps a set of stiffer set of Ions?

Keefe

Did you think about getting a coilover setup?

Or possibly a set of Swift springs? Perhaps a set of stiffer set of Ions?

Well Keefe,

The reason I chose the pink springs was because I got a great package deal on them with the cusco sway bars! I also thought that the pinks were the best option for use with the stock struts... to this day, I have driven close to a year with the pinks/stock struts combo... I'm not any more "bouncy" now than I was the day after the pinks went in, so I think my stock struts aren't shot yet... but I don't know how long that will be the case! However, If I had chosen the swifts or Ions I think that I would be NEEDing new struts at this point!

I wasn't ever really planning on upgrading the struts (shows how much of a suspension noob I was... and still am) because they were advertised to work well in conjunction with the stock struts! To a point, I think they do... I'm happier driving around with the setup I have now compared to the stock setup... But I think (or hope) that the pinks/JDM GT Bilstiens will be much better... am I dreaming?

Coilovers crossed my mind, but like I said before I thought springs (and sways) would be enough to satisfy my suspension needs... But, I think that suspension modding has become quite addictive... I've really noticed each addition to the suspension that I have added... and each new part has made me want that one more! With the money I've spent at this point, I assume that I could have gotten some decent coilovers... but that isn't the course that I went, and I don't regret it! I don't think that I would really require the ability to adjust my suspension setup... I just want a solid all purpose suspension... am I getting close?

it's not really a penalty, remember, it's an all-season tire, it's well rounded for a lot of difference uses, but as I said for the scale I gave where 10 is race car level response, that's all.

If you end up getting stickier tires, this will make the rest of your suspension parts a lot more pronounced.. that's where you are one step closer (as a whole) of earning a point towards that kind of higher performance levels.

You're also talking to a guy that runs on r-compounds in the slush and snow for the past 2 years just because it just snowed for one silly day that didnt have any trailing effects to the daily commute to work for the remainder of the week. yes, Im that crazy to drive in the snow covered ground with R-compounds (heck I did it on a race track, driving at lower speeds on public roads is a piece of cake, it's the other drivers I worry about).

Im being really easy going on the scaling, because in the winter, you want actually a very soft setup with skinny tires to cut through the snow.. that's why Subaru designed the GT as-is out of the factory.. the only real downfall that the car has is using very simplistic tires due to cost.. but aside from that, the GT can surely drive through unpaved roads and handle way better on such roads than compared to your car with the modded parts. This another reason why I left my scoring so widely interpreted.. there's a big difference in setting up a WRC race car and a Road Race car in terms of suspension performance. (and a WRC car has a totally different setup from Snow/Ice vs Mud/Gravel vs Tarmac/Hard-Slick Surfaces)

I once was caught in the prediciment of having 90% worn Goodyear Eagle GS D3's on my car in a late spring snow storm! I had taken my blizzaks off the WRX two weeks earlier, and I was caught by a serious snow storm and basically racing slicks for tires. With a 30 mile commute of mixed highway and two-lane roads it was not fun... well, it was really kind of fun, but only for a little bit! My car would blow completely sideways if the engine got much past 2000 rpms (in any gear). My analogy would be: wearing worn out sambas on an oil-slicked ice rink! My usual 45 minute commute was about two hours!

Since then I've found the WR's... I think they handle comparable to any cold-weather compound snow tire that I have ever owned... and they are fine to use late in the spring and early in the fall! Hell you could use them all year round if you wanted! I prefer using Summer tires, and because they are basically only for the summer, they last longer, too!

As for the suspension... yeah, the stock setup would have been nice this past weekend driving on the dirt roads and parking lots of the ski resorts up north! I'd love to have a softer setup just for those times, but for the most part I haven't had too much trouble getting by on my lower, stiffer setup! On snow roads I don't mind at all... I have less ground clearance, but the traction seems improved compared to when I was completely stock... Besides, I have one of those sweet RBS snow plow front lip spoilers to clear the way! :icon_mrgr

Are you going to drop all the mods together at the same time? I am really curious about the sti links... have them on order already but will take 6 weeks to get them, plus whatever more to get them installed.

Wonder how hard is the install? Does not look too hard, methinks.

hmmm.... not sure! I'd like to do them myself, but it doesn't make sense to since it would be easier to do at the same time as replacing the struts! I don't have a spring compressor so I'll likely look for assistance from someone who does, or find a shop!

Don't waste the time with spring compressor - not needed with Pinks! Just installed Pinks on Ohlins yesterday.

Fronts spring just drop in, for rears, two people might be handy - one to press top hat/spring down, another to thread the nut.

Don't waste the time with spring compressor - not needed with Pinks! Just installed Pinks on Ohlins yesterday.

Fronts spring just drop in, for rears, two people might be handy - one to press top hat/spring down, another to thread the nut.

Yeah, but I want to assemble my stock springs/struts, too... so swap out will be effortless if needed in future!

Archived