LegacyGT.com

Suspension Set-up Advice & Suggestions

sportwagon

Hey,

I've already got some nice suspension mods in my 05 LGT sedan and I'm about to do some more... I thought it would be nice to get some setup advice and suggestions before I get into my install. I'm also wondering what kind of handling characteristics I should expect from my completed setup! I'm so friggin excited, but I don't want to overlook anything because of it!

So... Setup now:

Stock Struts/ tophats

STI Pink Springs - JDM GT

Cusco F/R Solid Sway bars

Cuscu Front Lower (ladder) brace

AVO Adjustable Endlinks

STi Upper Strut Bar (Bling Bling)

Cobb Rear Sway Reinforcement Brackets

SSI Stainless Steel Skid plate (to protect me from Boston Roads)

17" Sutimoto (Summer Compound, not sure model) tires on BBS RK Rims -

new tires expected for next summer

17" Nokian WR Winter (all season Compound) on Prodrive P7 Rims

New Parts I already have in my possesion:

Used (6000KM) JDM GT Bilstien Struts

New stuff for the Bilstien Struts:

New JDM Tophats (all four corners)

New Dust Sleeves (all four corners)

New Spring Seats (all four corners)

Cusco Rear Lower (ladder) Brace

New Parts I'm Still Waiting On:

STi Rear Trailning Arms (possibly 2-3 weeks out)

Note:

I have 2 Amps/Amp rack mounted directly over the rear axle (~50-70lbs), a JL Highoutput 10W7 Sub box just past the rear axle (~75-100lbs), tons of Dynamat mostly concentrated through the rear of the car, doors and floors(~50-70 lbs), and I usually have a full-size spare and other stuff in the trunk...

Why mention this... I think this weight noticably effects my car's ride height and handling (definitely rear ride height)... The handling, in my opinion is improved with all the weight over the rear axle... but I'm no expert... I'm sure there is a valid argument that any increase in weight is negative... I'm not one to disagree... But my rear half has better traction because of it (especially in the winter)... This Car is a daily driver only (so far)!

So... What can I expect for installation issues?

What would be a proper alignment for this setup?

How will the car feel different?

Is there anything else I would possibly need to finish up my suspension?

What kind of ride height/quality can I expect from the setup?

What do you think?

I'm no mod noob, however suspension modding is not something I have much experience with!

Thanks in advance....

-Sportwagon (but don't forget I drive a sedan....:lol: )

Wow, you're not missing much.

Assuming the published curb weight of the sedan as 3415lb and a F/R weight ratio of 57/43, thats a weight bias of +478 lb at the front have so your stereo equipment weight (200lb?) puts your car closer to 54/46.

Better weight distribution but weight is weight and it kills.

The way I look at suspension bits is stuff that makes the car feel better and stuff that actually makes the car faster at the limit. Theres plenty of overlap between the two such as tires. When I upgraded to 18x8 with kumho mx (got a set of dunlop super sports going on next), that made he biggest difference for me in driving feel and control and limit at the track.

If it's daily driven I'd stick with stock alignment. If you're going to the track or autocross, then you should consider more negative camber up front and some toe in.

Good luck with the rear trailing arms. I haven't looked at our cars recently but I remember changing them out on the WRX to be a beeotch.

One thing you don't have that would probably affect driving feel a good deal are these:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44834

I'm thinking about them also.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps.

Yeah... I agree those front bushings are a major weakpoint! I checked mine recently and they are still intact. There seems to be several options targeting that weak link, so I'll wait and see what else might be available... or until I NEED them! Which is always a posibility! The modifications I have done so far have tighetened up a lot of slop, and I'm very excited to even out the car more by reinforcing the rear a bit more and stop the bouncing from the stock shocks! Plus, I'll have complete JDM and USDM strut/spring assemblies, so swapping back and forth will be much easier!

Thanks for you opinion and advice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's a fairly soft setup of what you have which on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being race level, tight, fast and responsive riding-on-rails-type handling) improvement level, I see it as a very mild setup which will score you 1.5 points in performance gains at the most.

Most of the parts (including the tires) are based for the soft side.. the extra weight from the stereo and such is really killing your ride since the springs you have are fairly soft comparatively speaking to what's available out there today.

Keefe

it's a fairly soft setup of what you have which on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being race level, tight, fast and responsive riding-on-rails-type handling) improvement level, I see it as a very mild setup which will score you 1.5 points in performance gains at the most.

Most of the parts (including the tires) are based for the soft side.. the extra weight from the stereo and such is really killing your ride since the springs you have are fairly soft comparatively speaking to what's available out there today.

Are you saying you think Sportwagon's changes will take him from a 1 to a 1.5 on your 10 point scale? Where's the stock OEM setup on your scale?

stock is 0, it makes sense right? no mods, no gains in points ;)

there's nothing really significant other than the sway bars that would make it make it note worthy. The springs wont be THAT huge of an increase until the shocks are matched as well.. but with stiffer shocks and springs, this puts more emphasis on the tires.. i think if you swap out the tires for something else, that would jump it a good point..

My car is around the 4 to 5 points for suspension mods at best.. so dont feel bad for the grade scale I give. Remember, 10 is race level equipment if you are looking for that kind of suspension level.. not everyone needs that kind of level.

Keefe

stock is 0, it makes sense right? no mods, no gains in points ;)

there's nothing really significant other than the sway bars that would make it make it note worthy. The springs wont be THAT huge of an increase until the shocks are matched as well.. but with stiffer shocks and springs, this puts more emphasis on the tires.. i think if you swap out the tires for something else, that would jump it a good point..

My car is around the 4 to 5 points for suspension mods at best.. so dont feel bad for the grade scale I give. Remember, 10 is race level equipment if you are looking for that kind of suspension level.. not everyone needs that kind of level.

That does make sense. You're clearly doing more with your Sube than I am and so I appreciate your perspective. I'm not that evolved as far as suspension upgrades (I'm still jazzed by the rotation I'm getting from the AVO RSB) but would have guessed that sportwagon was further up the food chain with what he has (I'm not sure what the tires are from the description). You've probably listed it before, but could you list your setup that you rank at 4 or 5? Thanks.

I don't care... for where I live and the season (late fall through early spring) my Nokian WR's f*$k'n kick arse! They are so perfect for the Southern New England Weather where the thought is... "is it gonna snow, well... it should be snowing this time of year, but wait it's 75 degrees out... but it might snow tomorrow and it will be back to 80 on Sunday!"

The all season compound is Ideal, plus a snowflake to boot! Come on! They are not the stockers... that should be at least 2 points!!! Plus, I don't think they handle much less than the crappy summer tires I was rolling on!

Those sutimotos... they were free with the p7s I bought for $500! They weren't expected to last more than a summer as they were at ~40% of their treadlife... and they made it all summer with plenty of tread to go!

For next summer, I'll get some of the most current feedback about good summer rubber and buy something... I've had good luck with goodyear eagle f1 gs d3s... maybe I'll get those again...

Don't penalize me for having the best suited tires (Nokian WRs) for the geographical location where I live... It is winter (sort of)!!!

I've never modified suspensions on my past cars... I've had 2 GTi's, 2 Passats, and a WRX sportwagon... But I never had the desire (well, actually the cash) to modify any of those suspensions!

Coming from the WRX, I felt the stock LGT Sedan suspension was a little bit loose (understatement of the century) and it was something I wanted to improve...

I think I have... and I am hoping to improve it even more! But...

I've always been into stereos and other car electronic equipment! The added weight is something I've traded off for performance, but it is my daily driver, not a race car! If I had money for two cars it would be a different story! But, for what it's worth my leggy's added weight was worthy enough to win the "Best stereo/interior" at the 2006 Wicked Big Meet!

I've never modified suspensions on my past cars... I've had 2 GTi's, 2 Passats, and a WRX sportwagon... But I never had the desire (well, actually the cash) to modify any of those suspensions!

Coming from the WRX, I felt the stock LGT Sedan suspension was a little bit loose (understatement of the century) and it was something I wanted to improve...

I think I have... and I am hoping to improve it even more! But...

I've always been into stereos and other car electronic equipment! The added weight is something I've traded off for performance, but it is my daily driver, not a race car! If I had money for two cars it would be a different story! But, for what it's worth my leggy's added weight was worthy enough to win the "Best stereo/interior" at the 2006 Wicked Big Meet!

Compared to my setup, you're probably a 10. I'll still be interested to hear how everything comes together and what you think of the different pieces. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Archived