LegacyGT.com

Legacy brakes suck a#@

sic GT

I have a similar set up to yourself, but with XP10 race pads, they can put a passenger through the windscreen if they're not expecting it.

I also use Carbotech XP10 pads, but only on the track. Initial bite is awesome. I wouldn't run them on the street, though, because of excessive rotor wear. Check with Eric at Brakeswap.com for a compromise solution.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have installed Goodridge brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, Motul fluid . :icon_mad:

Any hits on this would be appreciated

hope theres some explanation to this...(others have been successful using this set-up to get a better feel for the brakes, not necessarily better performance)

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I usually find dragging my feet help !@@##$$#@! These brakes suck BAD :icon_mad:

The LGT brakes aren't bad. I've made some hard stops with them (of course I have different OEM rubber on mine) and they do stop well. It's just the feel of the pedal that is not quite right. The response is not linear and which makes it somewhat difficult to modulate during a stern stop. That said, I've done several very hard emergency brakings and have not yet had the ABS kick in. The brakes are like the clutch. You just have to figure them out.

Re-bled brakes last night as suggested & added more Motul 600 fluid. Pedal is nice & tight..so far. Hopefully any trapped air was expelled providing this was the issue. A little skepticle only because the Subies pedal was reassuringly firm for about 5 days on the initial Hawk HPS/ Goodridge install & then it gradually began to feel spongy again. Will update later.

Thanks for the help.

I've never found Motul to provide a solid pedal feel, even when freshly bled. I have a lot of other preferences for brake fluid. If it's a track car, then I prefer Neo Syn 610. For a daily driver? Valvoline synthetic, which is available pretty much everywhere. Plus you can get a lot for a dirt cheap price.

Warren

How much better is braking just with upgraded tires? More significant than upgrading pads/lines/fluid?

If your car is like mine was, then more friction in the tires wont make up for next to no friction at the brakes

I cannot figure out why my brake pedal is incessantly spongy. I have installed Goodridge brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, Motul fluid and properly bled the system. What is it gonna take to get a firm brake pedal devoid of excessive free play & a little more initial bite. Better booster? I mean the brakes scrub speed if I stomp on it but the feeling of modulating the brakes borders on crude. The 06 Camry LE I rented last week had better brakes & no free play what so ever that I could detect. :icon_mad:

Any hits on this would be appreciated

I got fed up with brake fade at high speeds, way too many white knuckle praying that I could stop in time incidences.

I went to a Stop Tech 4 wheel big brake kit and absolutely love it. It's amazing how quickly I can bring the car to a halt from any speed with no fade at all.

Now I have to worry about what's behind me not in front.

Front:

ST40 Calipers

332/32 Aero Rotors

Rear:

ST22 Calipers

328/28 Aero Rotors

^ unless you're me :p I use all of my brakes and all of my tire grip. Progressive/threhold braking works well when you want to stop quickly.

Really shows........ :lol:

http://img39.photobucket.com/albums/v120/Snoopy0614/USA%20Drift%20Wreck/IMG_2401.jpg

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

:icon_bigg

I got fed up with brake fade at high speeds, way too many white knuckle praying that I could stop in time incidences.

I went to a Stop Tech 4 wheel big brake kit and absolutely love it. It's amazing how quickly I can bring the car to a halt from any speed with no fade at all.

Now I have to worry about what's behind me not in front.

Front:

ST40 Calipers

332/32 Aero Rotors

Rear:

ST22 Calipers

328/28 Aero Rotors

Emerson Fittipaldi was rear ended in Toronto once during Indy car race and he said the guy "tried to stop his car with my brakes" !!! :icon_mrgr

Obviously tires play a vital role in overall braking numbers, but the Spec B has much better tires than the LGT but the braking numbers (100-0) were not dramatically different.

i personally think the stock brakes are ok at best..the initial bite on the stock pads are horrible IMO. But overall they stop the car in panic situations pretty well. It is the initial bite (or lack there of) that I hope to remedy soon.

as a reminder, the car is about 15 feet long.. so if you see a difference in incremements of car lengths, then it's significant amount. If a car stops a 175 ft stock, well, what if you shaved off 17.5 feet with new tires? That's a 10% improvement in braking distance.

Keefe

I also use Carbotech XP10 pads, but only on the track. Initial bite is awesome. I wouldn't run them on the street, though, because of excessive rotor wear. Check with Eric at Brakeswap.com for a compromise solution.

The XP8s and XP10s are still rotor friendly.. heck even my XP12s are still rotor friendly.

Keefe

Hey Xenonk,

That WRX looks familiar,pre sheetmetal mods.:) Were you at a Subaru Challenge in Richmond VA. 2003?

Yes, I came in 4th in SM at that event.

As for my "custom" body work to that WRX, my tires were heat cycled enough to the point where they needed more than just one lap on the track to bite, but hey, that's the learning curve of not thinking twice about warming up track pads with not-quite-sticky-yet-cuz-they-are-not-warmed-up tires.

Keefe

Yes, I came in 4th in SM at that event.

The lights on that car triggerd a flashback. I also ran a silver 02 WRX in SM, drove thru the night to the event, got 1st in class,drove back home. That was rough.

Sorry to OP for derailing the topic, I often wonder if SOA/SOJ designed in the "soft" initial brake application. Due to the mission of these cars as foul weather / snow vehicles.

AH, now I remember you, we talked about how your car was setup and such and remember we talked about your suspension setup at the end of the super challenge. Do you still autox?

They designed it for better pedal modulation in my opinion (for that luxury kind of driving). It's been said that the 06 and 07 have a better improvement somehow on the feel for a sportier feel. I don't see many claiming the Spec B has a better pedal feel but I dont know how many people that have drove an 05 vs 06 vs 07 to really know if there is a significant amount of improvement.

Keefe

Archived