LegacyGT.com

Confirm before I head to stealership

AirSix

I think I already know the answer, but I want to sound educated when I walk into the service department later today.

For the first time tonight, I overheard a grinding noise coming from the left rear wheel area during left turns and intermittent while driving forward (not present under braking). The sound is slight but noticeble just above the exhaust note. Wheel bearings I assume?

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

sounds like it...

are you sure its the wheel area?

There is also a bolt in the rear seat area that is problematic. It definitely groans a bit under turning. Guys have had this replaced as well.

This sound is definitely of the mechanized, moving nature...you know the type.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Back from the stealership. Took a mechanic for a ride, shook, twisted, turned the affected wheel and he didn't think it was wheel bearings. I had a set of iON's installed about a month ago and he was leaning towards some grinding in the spring saddle because the noise is more consistent when turning to the left. Although, when I backed out of my garage this morning it was very loud as well. I'm not feeling anything unusual in the brake pedal and the sound is absent under braking. What the hell?

Mechanic may be wrong about the wheel bearing. Read other posts on the topic and you'll see this occurs quite often.

You could also check your sway bars to see if lack of lube is causing them to make sounds.

Yah, I've read many of the threads about this issue, but it was my understanding that there would be some noticeable play in the affected wheel, which there is not in my situation.

Front left wheel bearing shot. And the genius service advisor tried to ad-lib that the presence of a windshield wiper rail, which had pierced my rear splash guard and was rubbing the tire, "might have also caused some of the noise you were hearing".

It's like a bad dream...

^^ Will it actually accomplish anything....I mean I don't think car dealerships are out recruiting for employees at top mechanical engineering schools. Nobody cares, they all think your like the 10 stupid customers that blumbered in before you got there. And not mention I threw in the much discussed flickering head unit/climate control gremlin thinking it's no skin off their nose to replace the damn thing. I swear, the dude offered to drive my car home to see if he could recreate it! Yah sure, and go ahead and take my wife while you're at it bub.

Please...

^^ Will it actually accomplish anything...

I think the surveys do have some impact on the dealership. Not sure if it's in money, or allocation of cars, or what. The survey is with Subaru, not so the dealership can recruit. Subaru may reward or punish dealerships based on survey results.

Archived