LegacyGT.com

E- throttle response question.

Lately, it's been very difficult to pull off a smooth heel-toe downshift, or even a simple rev matched downshift. My timing is way off. I've never been a fan of the e-throttle, but I don't remember having that problem before. I sat at idle and blipped the throttle, and there is a huge lag, 1+sec before the engine responds at all. It feels like the throttle is not connected to the pedal (which it's not) or the flywheel weights 50lbs. (probably not far from the truth.) The thing is, I remember being able to pull off smooth downshifts easily in the past. The other factor is that I've been driving my Miata I bought a few months ago, where downshifts feel like they are completed telepathically. So, am I spoiled by the Miata, or is the E-throttle out of whack? I drive the LGT about 4 days a week, the Miata 2. I also compared it to my Eclipse, which responds much better then the LGT. On my truck, there is a proceedure for calibrating the e-throttle. Any such proceedure for the LGT?

I'd say there's something wrong with it. If it were you being rusty, you'd get past it after a few miles. I wouldn't say mine downshifts telepathically, but it's smooth. I've never had any lag in throttle response. There's got to be a way to calibrate it- you just might need an expensive tool.

My throttle has about a 1/2 second lag in throttle response. My N/A mustang was much quicker to respond. If your not exaggerating about the 1+ second lag, I would take it in for warrenty work.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

My throttle body was replaced under warranty because it was causing stalls in cold weather (20s F) while coasting to a stop last winter. The ECU would command the throttle to open to keep the RPMs from dropping, and it would sometimes get stuck closed for a second or two. It also made getting going in 1st rather difficult because you would push on the gas, nothing, push a bit more, nothing, push a bit more, bam 2500rpm. It also contributed to some stutters in the 2500-3000rpm range when transitioning from no throttle (coasting) to light throttle. Again, I believe it was getting stuck, then opening too far, etc.

Since having it replaced, response is pretty much instantaneous and smooth. It took a LOT of dealer logging time while driving to track it down. My car was out for 13 days total diagnosing and fixing this problem.

--Lee

Archived