LegacyGT.com

Why does my car click?

CrakuhBlack

I need help guys. My car is clicking and now I'm depressed. So depressed in fact, that I'm not going out tonight (Friday) and instead I am sitting here writing to you guys and pouting. Please help.

Ok, first let me say that I have had the new style cobb sway bars for roughly a month and Megan Racing coilovers for about a week (ride height is about stock). This morning I took my car into DC because I was late and figured I could get there faster in the legacy than the other car :icon_mrgr. About 3/4 of the way to work I started hearing a slight click...sounds like if you were to take a wire w/a ground connecter on it (you know, the ones you screw/bolt to metal to ground a connection) and tap it on a a solid metal suspension or chassis member. I can't quite locate where the sound is coming from. It's somewhere between or including the coilover, front sway, and/or the top of the dash/hood area. The car only makes the sound when I go over bumps. When I jerk the car left to right like they do in racing to warm up tires, the is no click. It also seems like the click is loudest when I go over a bump with the left side of the car than with both or just the right (could be my imagination though). If that's the case then it would immediately make me think sway bar, but I've had the sways on for over a month with no problem. Also, the click has become progressively louder since this morning. At first I could barely hear it and now it is VERY noticable. I plan on puting it up on jacks as soon as my FU#*ING company will give me a God damn weekend off (yes, im extremely pissed I had to work a federal holiday, on saturday and this coming sunday).

In the meantime, does anyone have a clue? I'm really confused on this one. BTW, I'm pretty sure I didn't screw up the coilover install. The only way I could see it having to do with that is if the coilover is F'd. Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated.

Double check that all your bolts and lock rings are tight. The nuts at the top of the strut shafts sometimes work their way loose as well and you can easily check those without worrying about getting under the car. When you get under the car, check the ride height and preload rings for tightness. To make sure mine are tight, I put the adjustment spanner wrench on them and give it 3 or 4 good whacks with a hammer.

Of course, it might not even be the suspension as the sound you are describing doesn't sound like a usual suspension noise. Could just be some kind of rattle in the dash that the less compliant suspension had brought out. Our car's interiors are unfortunately not as well screwed down and dampened as some other makes.

Thanks for the reply. Already checked the nuts on top of the shaft. As for the bolts and lock rings, they're probably overtightened. My buddy thinks the click is from the dash somewhere behind the airbag and airbox. I still dont know though. Anyone have a similar problem? This is really pissing me off.

It could be just your description, but clicking to me implies some kind of repetition which doesn't sound like a suspension noise.

Try going up a driveway at 45 degrees. This should wind up the swaybars since one wheel goes up first. If you hear some noise, it might be your endlinks either worn or loosened.

The stock endlinks were hard for me to torque up because I had to hold onto it with a little hexhead.

Had the same problem on my TSX. Swaybar installed for months = no problem... installed lowering springs = click clunk etc...

Just had to replace the end links and all was ok.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

Jon, how is it coming, still making the noise? Have you been able to diagnois it? Do you need me to come over tonight and check it out with you? I would immediately assume the coilovers/suspension, only because that is what we just changed. Let me know.
Semper Fi.

well, after tearing apart my dash and taking multiple rides in the passenger seat (one of which was upside down), I've deternined its nothing inside the car. I'm thinking it's something above the plastic cover inside the RF wheel well. Anyone know whats up there? I think I'll take it out this weekend...the first time I'll be outside of work during the daylight. Thanks for the offer coop, but i dont think i'll get out at a reasonable time any day this week.

Archived