LegacyGT.com

Anyone local to Pottstown / KoP to help with installs?

Max Rebo

... anyone who will work for beer? :icon_bigg

I have a Cobb STS and Omori boost gauge that I'd like to install, but I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this type of stuff... especially the boost gauge... or anything for Subaru for that matter.

I'm serious about the beer, too. It's required for any car work. :icon_bigg

i used to install parts on 90% of all the WRX/STI's in the KOP/West Chester area... for credability, im a toyota technician by day...

STS and boost gauge shouldnt take long, i've put a kartboy in my car, and the boost gauge is as easy as any other car.

what do you have for mounting the guage, also did you get all the necessary hoses/adaptors for the vacuum supply to the boost gauge?

i'd help ya out, lemme know when you are available, im sure we can work something out.

I appreciate the offer!

This is the boost gauge I bought:

http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/10/products_id/126

It's an Omori 45mm mechanical unit with an electrical hookup for the backlight adjustment. I have everything you see in the photo:

http://www.j-spectuning.com/images/single_pod_pack3b.JPG

... including the T-fitting for use in the Legacy when the hose is cut.

I'm not sure how I want to mount the gauge pod, however. It will go on the steering column cover, but I'm wondering if I can attach the gauge with velcro instead of drilling a hole and screwing it on. I don't know how well the velcro would hold, though. I'm thinking about reversibility here... in case I sell the car in 4-5 years. Or maybe I shouldn't worry about that... :)

I have to find a weekend where I'm free, although I don't know if it will be possible anytime soon because it's getting colder outside. Working in the cold sucks. :p If we do that, I can provide lots of coffee instead of beer. lol

i didnt think the Omori gauge was that cheap.. i may have to pick one up soon for my GT..maybe one for the STI too, since i hate the readout of the stock gauge in it.

keep an eye on the weather, both these items shouldnt take very long to install on a somewhat warm day(like we've been having recently).

i think you can get that pod mounted with velcro.. not sure now sturdy it will be though, but it could work.

i actually have this friday off as well, if you were available then and wanted these parts installed "now"

The STS should take about 20-30 min to do and is done in the car...where it's warmer. If you have any shifter bushings, they take about 15-20min

The boost gauge could take almost 2 hours depending on how fancy you wanna get with mounting.

I have mine mounted on the A-pillar... you can take a looky at mine and decide where you want yours

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I'll take the highest bidder! :lol:

I'd love to do this Friday, but I hafta work. Saturday or Sunday is still a possibility, though if one of you will be around.

Does anyone actually sell A-pillar gauge pods? That's kinda what I'd like, but I don't know where to look. Otherwise, fastening it to the steering column cover is good for me. It's probably better, anyway because it'll be out of the way.

nice install, i like how gauges look when installed like htat on the A pillar, im not a big fan of the a-pillar pods.

the steering column mounts look good enough for me, so thats the route im gonna go.

the omori pod looks similar to the stock WRX/STI ones, which install easily in a few minutes.

:( i kinda miss installing stuff every weekend :lol:

Max Rebo: if your avail. this weekend, i could meet up...neither one of these parts requires very much warmth.. just leaving the car running for a while if its cold out will get it warm enough to work in... if i could do a motor swap without heat, i can install a few small easy pieces without too much bitching :lol:

This weekend, I'm busy Saturday, but I may be available on Sunday. I'll update soon...

Murray -- Are you familiar with tapping into the electrical system for the gauge backlight adjustment knobs? It seems easy in concept, but I have no idea where to tap in.

Crap... it appears as though Sunday may be out, too. Our son has a portrait appointment at 1:00pm and then we have to go to yet another party at my dad's/stepmom's house. :( I swear, they have "parties" every other week. They only live 15 minutes away, so it's not like I never see them. If I can get out of going, I may be available mid/late afternoon.

i guess you missed the fact that im a technician.. :)

also, to ensure i get the proper wire, i have the factory service manuals on my computer.

the violet wires going to all your interior switches/things that light up... are your illumination wires. tap one of htem and ground the other side, and BOOYA, dimming boost gauge.

Hm... yeah... short term memory loss. w00t! :icon_bigg

Anyway... my planning sucks. So Sunday is out, but late Saturday afternoon could be a possibility still. How much time would be needed to do both? 3 hours?

We'll have friends over for the early/mid afternoon and I'll be bottling my homebrew, which shouldn't take a long time. It all depends on whether we do anything afterwards.

This weekend may just be bad timing for me. At least I know I can bribe either of you with beer! :lol:

Note to self: Get a ride in mwiener2's car so I can drool over more power mods to buy.

lol...

Short shifter is like 30min max

turbo gauge is like 1-2 hours assuming everything works out perfectly. But there's always stupid stuff like dropping a screw and not being to find it or running a wire over, instead of under something, then having to go back and rerun it....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

my short shifter took about 4 minutes..

i've put boost guages in in less than 30 minutes..:lol:

2 wires, one to any violet wire going to any switch in the dash or console, the other to ground, 1 line from the gauge to the engine compartment, 2 small holes to be drilled to mount the pod, snip one vac. line by the recirc valve, and put in the T, reconnect the 3 hoses.

tidy up.

done.

:lol:

i do this stuff every day.

my "hidden" Sirius unit took about 45 minutes with removal, cutting, testing, and then wire routing. (its in the ash tray, and yes, it folds out when you open the ash tray bin, but i no longer have an ash tray)

Archived