LegacyGT.com

Recommendations for shops to replace a windshield in NoVA?

FirstEight

Had an unfortunate encounter with a rock last night on I-66 that put two good sized craters in my windshield. Judging by other posts on here a new windshield is going to cost me $400-$500. So since I'm going to be dropping a decent amount of money here, and there seems to be plenty of other people who have had to get this done, can anyone recommend a good shop that can replace the glass for me at a decent price?

Are you gonna clain it under insurance? I know when mine got broke on my last car they came to my office parking lot and changed it for me right there. Quick easy and painless. Talk to your insurance guy they have a whole list of decent glass people.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

I'm going to have Safelite look at it tomorrow, and hopefully repair it for like $50. The main ding is pretty small, about 1cm across, but it's pretty close to being right in my line of sight, so they may or may not be allowed to repair it.

If they can't fix it, I'll probably go through my insurance co. since our our windshields are so expensive.

If you car has heated wiper elements and they have to replace the windshield they will need to remove your passenger interior A-pillar trim. It would be a good idea to ask them if they know how to do it properly and maybe even print out the page from the service manual for them. Regardless, I would check the piece when you get the car back and make sure it is solidly affixed just as you brought it to them. I had a bad experience with this and Safelite.

• 1 year later...

Will do, I did notice that if I went through insurance the cost was $700+ so I would just pay my deductible. but if I pay just to have it replaced via safelite it would cost 350ish...they are running a sale right now so check it out on their website. 70% off or something for the glass...crazy.

Eric

Yup, I actually like the defroster better on the new one. It doesn't stand out as much if you look closely its just blue tinted coil in the black at the bottom of the windshield. My only problem now is the installed damaged my a pillar panel (some of the fabric looks like its ripped) and it's not fitting on there properly.

Yup, I actually like the defroster better on the new one. It doesn't stand out as much if you look closely its just blue tinted coil in the black at the bottom of the windshield. My only problem now is the installed damaged my a pillar panel (some of the fabric looks like its ripped) and it's not fitting on there properly.

doh! just like aldo ixnay said....

i gotta good size crack in mine to. have had it for about 3 months now. lazy and to poor to get it replaced.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Looks like I'll finally be getting that new windshield. Got hit for the 4th time yesterday and this time it's not repairable. Less than an inch from the edge and quickly spreading. Probably go with Safelite as they did a good job with the first two hits. Used a diy repair kit on the 3rd hit that held up well so far.

Thanks for the tip about the A-pillar trim. Think I'll pop it off preemtively so the repair guy doesn't have to figure it out and since I've done it before.

Looks like I'll finally be getting that new windshield. Got hit for the 4th time yesterday and this time it's not repairable. Less than an inch from the edge and quickly spreading. Probably go with Safelite as they did a good job with the first two hits. Used a diy repair kit on the 3rd hit that held up well so far.

Thanks for the tip about the A-pillar trim. Think I'll pop it off preemtively so the repair guy doesn't have to figure it out and since I've done it before.

If you can, wait till just before you get the car inspected. That way you don't have to replace it again incase it gets cracked before inspection. :) Safelite ended up buying me a new a-pillar panel. It seemed like there were a lot of complaints about that installer.

Archived