LegacyGT.com

mazdaspeed 3?

I did a search and did not find anything recient, of course I did not look so hard but, what are you going to do? Anyway I have been reading in all of the car mags about how great the speed 3 is and was wondering if any one on this wonderful website has driven one and what are your impressions?

I checked the local dealer and they do not expect one in until later this month.

thanks in advace.

Well if I didnt have the GT legacy I have now I probably would have bought one..I had a deposit on one of the firsts at the dealer test drive it for a while..and my impressions:

Very very quick out of the box and felt as fast as my stock suby. However I do believe it is fast from 3rd gear on because Mazdaspeed is limiting the torque going to the front wheels in the first 2 gears because 3rd gear is killer. ?Handles corners great and sticks well for a front drive and hardly an issue. If yu like the fact and its a hatchback then I would say its very worthwhile to buy. For me I like having an AWD car and it doesnt give up any perfromance to it at all plus it doesnt have torque steer. BTW I kept the legacy :)

I test drove one.

Interior is very nice, nicer than the LGT. NotRaceN is right about the very quick part. From a dig the LGT may have it, but from a roll the MS3 would probably walk it, especially in 3rd. The clutch is something to get used to. The engagement is rather high, but nothing like the MS6 that pops back at you. The gates are very close (6spd).

I did not feel any torque limiting. I believe they were able to hide it well because it is a turbo car and your gonna have lag no matter what. Torque steer was barely noticable.

Handling, well like any Mazda it handles exceptionally well out of the box. It felt very light and steering was crisp.

Overall it a very good car that should be looked at closely when your out buying.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Hopefully the aftermarket for the car takes off.......

Really do like the look, it's much better than the Speed6

Supposedly there is already a TMIC, FMIC is in the works, and Cobb is developing the AP for it. All the other bits are easy (ie. exhaust)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15610008#post15610008

if you havent seenit already... dyno looks uggggly

2 things to note.

1. There was no fan directly on the IC

2. They used 87 octane.

Here is a Dyno Graph with 93.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o44/zzzoom3/Save0004.jpg

Now why would a magazine testing a turbo car, with PREMIUM FUEL ONLY likely plastered on the fuel door, fill it with 87 octane?

Hell if I know. I just know it was reported as having 87 in the tank. Doesn't make alot of sense, considering every other test I've seen or read.

http://www.ajac.ca/english/ccoty/2007/test_data.asp?lang=1

Clearly the thing is a rocket from a roll. Only the Audi RS2 and the GT500 had quicker times 40-60. And apparently the brakes aren't bad considering the other cars in the >50k and <50k. :iam:

That graph of the MS3 is the only one hwere the HP/TRQ curves cross at an incorrect point. Should cross at 5250 so with this said the entire graph should be moved over about 500rpm's higher. it appears the MS3's motor does not sign off as quick as the graph appears.

coolbeans, did you notice the torque limiter activate and deactivate on accelration?

actually I did ..thankfully the salesman let me romp on the car pretty good so I could be sure if I wanted to buy it or not plus he was nice enough to let me literally to complete back to back test drives or it and my suby in the same exact locations on and off same freeway and streets etc..

there is still torquesteer but I have driven many a honda so its not that big of deal..honestly the car would be alot quicker if they didnt limit the power in the first 2 gears because you truly feel a difference in 3rd like no other..

Archived