LegacyGT.com

Automatic Shift Interlock Noise

GTWag

Every time I come to a stop in my automatic Legacy GT, I hear an audible click noise coming from the shifter (and I can feel the vibration of the click by putting my hand on the shifter). I read in another post that this is an "interlock" plastic piece that engages to prevent from shifting into reverse by accident while driving. My question is, has anyone found out how to disable this? I find the click noise very annoying every time I stop the car at a stop sign or in traffic. Anyone else?

Nope. For now, there isn't anything that can be done. I had my service department check the noise out a few months ago. They had the entire center column apart and showed me the piece that clicks back and forth with the brake pedal action. The noise occurs because it's a plastic-on-plastic contact. They applied some lube on the piece but it really didn't do much. The only way it could be dampened is to put something like foam between the two parts, but the service department was worried that it may interfere with the interlock action. It drove me crazy when I first started hearing it. Even the service tech thought it was louder than in previous years. Apparently, they changed the interlock mechanism. The noise isn't destructive so right now, I've just trained myself to tune it out. Call Subaru and let them know at 1-800-SUBARU3. If enough people formally log their concerns, there could be a workaround issued in the future. Ken

Thanks for the info Ken - my old legacy was a 5MT, so if this was in previous Suby automatics, I wouldnt know it. I guess I will have to live with it for now, but I will definitely call and let Subaru know that it is very annoying to me. thx -Ward

[quote name='GTWag']Yeah, it does it in SportShift mode too. :([/quote] "F" it just drive in reverse...lol. I have not noticed that with mine??? hmm..I better perk up my antenna's when I get in the car this afternoon.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

It happens anytime you depress/release the brake pedal, actually. You just tend to hear it more often when coming to a stop since roadnoise is most diminished then. All of the 5EATs have this click. I think the quiteness of our vehicles and smoothness of the 5EATs also make the click stand out more. My last Subie was a 5MT and it made all sorts of noises when I shifted. Ken

Yeah, complaining about noise in this car is pretty picky, since it is so much quieter than my BH wagon (MT). But, as you poitned out, that's why the click is so damn annoying - because it rudely interrupts my beautiful silence!

[quote name='Ken S']It happens anytime you depress/release the brake pedal, actually. You just tend to hear it more often when coming to a stop since roadnoise is most diminished then. All of the 5EATs have this click. I think the quiteness of our vehicles and smoothness of the 5EATs also make the click stand out more. [/quote] i totally agree with you. [quote] My last Subie was a 5MT and it made all sorts of noises when I shifted. Ken[/quote] same here!

This Space For Rent

[quote name='Ken S']It happens anytime you depress/release the brake pedal, actually. You just tend to hear it more often when coming to a stop since roadnoise is most diminished then. All of the 5EATs have this click. I think the quiteness of our vehicles and smoothness of the 5EATs also make the click stand out more. My last Subie was a 5MT and it made all sorts of noises when I shifted. Ken[/quote] Ken, on my OB it only clicks right before I come to a stop with the brakes applied (like when I cross below 7mph or so). If I hit the brakes at higher speeds, no click. I'll try and observe the exact speed at which I hear it click. Craig

Craig: That's when I hear it too -- right before my Legacy rolls to a stop. I can also hear a slightly softer click when I let up on the brakes to move again. And it makes sense since it would be disasterous if the system allowed one to shift to neutral or park while moving at any significant speed. The service department told me that the clicking would happen any time I depress the brakes so I assumed I wasn't hearing it due to road noise. Mike: 5EAT. Ken

Archived