LegacyGT.com

Your driving style??

Maybe that could be a good thread to start........

How many times a day do you accelerate to redline?

I think I calculated that I do about roughly 100 to 200 shifts a day.. so you figure that I have close to 80 chances to redline? :lol:

Keefe

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I red line at least twice a day.

It's interesting to see what the info system reports on engine performance. It has always been my understanding that lugging the car at low rpm is inefficient and surely it is. Accelerating at 35 mph in 5the gear isn't going to accomplish anything but wasted gas and stress on the engine. What is interesting is that maintaining a steady mph 35 in 5th on a level stretch of road buries the fuel consumption gauge and the throttle opening % gauge shows next to nothing. RPM is ~1500. Now this isn't something I normally do but it is surprising because I would have thought that mileage would go way down and throttle opening % would be substantial.

Well, on the salesman's advice, I was revving the car to 5K RPM during the test drive so the idea of 4K RPM shifts during the first 1000 miles went out the window. I would say I still shift around 5K a lot. 2.5K if I'm babying the car or warming up.

What about crusing? Is crusing at 4K RPM bad?

Well, on the salesman's advice, I was revving the car to 5K RPM during the test drive so the idea of 4K RPM shifts during the first 1000 miles went out the window. I would say I still shift around 5K a lot. 2.5K if I'm babying the car or warming up.

What about crusing? Is crusing at 4K RPM bad?

That's using a lot of boost for nothing.

So crusing under 3K RPM would keep the intercooler colder and leave more power for accelerating? Any other disadvantages?

I like to keep it above 3K RPM for faster throttle response, but maybe it isn't worth it.

If you "cruising" you really mean "waiting for a roll-on competition with the car in the next lane" then 4k rpm will be helpful to you. If you mean "cruising down the road at a fairly steady speed, minding my own business" then the highest gear that will allow the car to easily maintain your desired speed is the best choice. You can always downshift if you need quicker acceleration.

Problem I have with LGT is when I am crusing I am at 4k rpm or above and there is no gear to upshift :(

Would SOA listen and introduce LGT Wagon 6MT? .....yeah, right.

Problem I have with LGT is when I am crusing I am at 4k rpm or above and there is no gear to upshift :(

I frequently experience a similar problem, but as I said, "the highest gear that will allow the car to easily maintain your desired speed." ;) I find that cruise control is my best bet for staying under 4k rpm in 5th, that's really what I use it for. I have no problem holding my foot on the accelerator, I just hold it a little too close to the floor in the opinion of the revenue enhancement faction of the law enforcement community.

6MT LGT Wagon would be nice... but since they won't even sell us 5MT LGT Wagons anymore you're dreaming.

I red line at least twice a day.

It's interesting to see what the info system reports on engine performance. It has always been my understanding that lugging the car at low rpm is inefficient and surely it is. Accelerating at 35 mph in 5the gear isn't going to accomplish anything but wasted gas and stress on the engine. What is interesting is that maintaining a steady mph 35 in 5th on a level stretch of road buries the fuel consumption gauge and the throttle opening % gauge shows next to nothing. RPM is ~1500. Now this isn't something I normally do but it is surprising because I would have thought that mileage would go way down and throttle opening % would be substantial.

^that's only true if you are hammering the throttle using a high gear at low rpms.. the ECU doesnt know what you are trying to do when you give those types of input. It's not so much of wasted gas, but more on the car trying to deal with feeding timing AND fuel based on your throttle (which back in the old days only controlled air flow).. better throttle control for each gear will save you a lot of trouble.

Keefe

That's using a lot of boost for nothing.

and

So crusing under 3K RPM would keep the intercooler colder and leave more power for accelerating? Any other disadvantages?

I like to keep it above 3K RPM for faster throttle response, but maybe it isn't worth it.

You can be at red line and coast at redline and not make boost on purpose.. do some data logging or get a boost gauge... you'll learn a thing or two about it. Your only interaction of telling what the motor do is only by your throttle. The car doesnt know anything else other than inputs such as ambient temps to precisely dial in the timing appropriately to prevent knocking. I see no point of redlining when you can save your motor from the friction and cycling of the oil when you can go just with the same speed/velocity in a higher gear.. the real question that we all should be asking "how fast do you all accelerate and when do you stop accelerating?".. because if it's up to 60mph that you want to do, all you need to red line is 2 twice as 2nd gear can hit 60mph (depending on the tire size you run). I doubt anyone here is going to redline 4th gear on a daily basis.

As for your cruising, the motor makes peak torque at 3600 rpms.. check up the dyno graph, and you'll understand where the "passing" power of your car is regardless of the gear.

Keefe

5th gear @ 4000 rpms is well over 90+mph.. I dont want to know what your definition of "cruising" is.

Get taller tires and change your final drive to a WRX 3.91 ;)

Keefe

cruising on highways hunder 3k rpm is less than 70 mph.

I usually put it on cruise control a lil under 80, which is around 3300 rpms.

are you saying that if you floor the pedal in low rpms is actually worse for the engine than downshifting?

Is this the part when you floor it at low rpms and you get that slight pause of acceleration but just a deep grunt? (intake resonator out)

oh and also, trailing a speeding car won't help anymore.

cops can pull next to both of you and waive at both of you to pull over.

or they radio you in.

what's LIDAR? Also, I don't think there's any radar detector that picks up instant on

Of course on private track... :icon_wink

Too many kilometers on Autobahn in the past. 90-100 mph is really just cruising. 1.3L econoboxes go at that speed there.

what's LIDAR? Also, I don't think there's any radar detector that picks up instant on

LIDAR is laser. Uses infra red beam instead of radio waves to detect speed (light).

Every even crappiest radar detector picks up instant on. But often it might be too late :lol:

one cop told me when he uses instant on, as soon as it reads, he turns it right off, so that it will be too short of a time for the detector to pick anything up.

just one question, if that's the case, how do they have proof that you've been speeding? does it record the speed of your car? or is it the cop's word against yours? what if you say prove that I was speeding officer?

one cop told me when he uses instant on, as soon as it reads, he turns it right off, so that it will be too short of a time for the detector to pick anything up.

just one question, if that's the case, how do they have proof that you've been speeding? does it record the speed of your car? or is it the cop's word against yours? what if you say prove that I was speeding officer?

Where do you live? Did you just start driving?

That cop is an idiot or was BSing you. He can't be faster than a RD. True, there are new radars that have special POP mode, which sends extremely short burst - which by the way has high degree of error (and cannot be used in court) -- newer radar detectors however detect it easily as well (at the cost of more false alarms, though, it seems).

And get real, cops do not have to prove that you were speeding. In theory they do, but one visit to a court teaches you how it is in practice. The system is set you're guilty until proven innocent. That's the sad reality.

We are way :offtopic:

I stay out of boost completely until the car is warmed up, then anything is fair game. Usually I'm in heavy traffic commuting though, so I just cruise and hang back with about 5 seconds between me and the car in front of me so people can cut me off without cutting me off (they're not gaining anything, so WTF do I care?)

If there's an opening though, I'll drop the hammer as long as it'll actually get me somewhere. If there's an opening to a string of brake lights, I'll hang back and just slow down to the point I never have to touch the brakes and keep cruising at my own speed. :) I'm very anti-stop & go so I create my own buffer so I can actually maintain a single speed. Why can't everyone just do that? It is however entertaining to see people speed up on me, get around me really fast, then have to slam on their brakes when their lane is stopping and I just keep on cruising.....

BTW, I do this in the right lane...I'm not hanging out in the left lane with a huge gap in front of me. Those a-holes should have their licenses taken away! If you're in the left lane, you better be passing someone, or get over!

And regarding detectors, they definitely ARE worth it - especially on long trips with plenty of open road. You just have to know the roads you're driving very well. Never been pulled over in the LGT (for moving violations), including trips through the wonderful Ohioian laser-land.

I stay out of boost completely until the car is warmed up, then anything is fair game. Usually I'm in heavy traffic commuting though, so I just cruise and hang back with about 5 seconds between me and the car in front of me so people can cut me off without cutting me off (they're not gaining anything, so WTF do I care?)

If there's an opening though, I'll drop the hammer as long as it'll actually get me somewhere. If there's an opening to a string of brake lights, I'll hang back and just slow down to the point I never have to touch the brakes and keep cruising at my own speed. :)

+1 on all of the above. Except I'm pretty sure I'm not completely off boost while warming up. I usually shift at 3k, but with gentle throttle until warmed up. Then a bit firmer and still at 3k to 3.5k. When there's a good gap in traffic though, woo-hoo!

Actually, I kinda keep myself busy scanning traffic to maintain a decent flow. It's interesting to see the cars that surge quickly up to the next car only to slam on their brakes, then continuously repeat the process, cutting across lanes, etc. Then I often just cruise by them later.

+1 on all of the above. Except I'm pretty sure I'm not completely off boost while warming up. I usually shift at 3k, but with gentle throttle until warmed up. Then a bit firmer and still at 3k to 3.5k. When there's a good gap in traffic though, woo-hoo!

I wasn't sure on the boost until I got a gauge. I'm sure I wasn't before, but now I'm certain that I'm not. Rpms don't have as much to do with boost it as throttle, so it's hard to judge without a gauge.

Wow...Reading everyone's response made me feel alot better. I think I'm going to opt out getting a radar for now. I think the 4 weeks I've owned the car, I have only approach the redline once. I hardly use the I-mode anymore. I just leave it in S, and bump it to S# during sticky situations (and that usually shifts around 4500, 5K range), and yes, I spend about $30/week on gas...not too bad comsidering I use to spend $60-80/week when I had my Dodge Ram...

I have an '06 LGT with around 10k miles on it. I drive it differently everyday. Some days I gun it everywhere.. aka "spirited" driving and other days I drive like an old lady. Subies can take a beating and last for a long time. Radar detectors help too, I have a passport and it saved my ass more than once.

Drive it so that driving is fun.

thats why i love this car so much...

i can absolutely unleash its power on one day and the next day, i can drive like an old lady and enjoy the the drive...

If you're in the left lane, you better be passing someone, or get over!
Unless there's enough traffic that the left lane is just another filled-with-cars lane, usually going faster than the other lanes but not always.

Archived