LegacyGT.com

anyone got protuned? if so...where and how good was the experience?

16psibrick

I did the E-tune (I think it's called that) where they email a new map based on specs & it's a huge improvement, well worth it. I can give more details if you need.
Who is "they"? Do you need the Cobb AP for that? And yes, I'd appreciate more details.

"They" is TDC Tuning & yes you need the AP for that. The best characterization I can give you is to say the TDC maps are as much an improvement as stock --> Accessport, maybe more.

Considerably more juice & smoother, spools noticeably faster and seems to keep the car hanging on the edge of boost just waiting on the OK to run. Overall makes the car feel far more willing to run, almost like I'm holding it back now.

im gonna chime in and rock the boat here, i dunno why but the TDC map i bought i ended up not liking it.

i dont know why yet (TDC has asked me to datalog) but the COBB map just seems to pull more and the car is much more fum to drive.

i really wasnt like "omg,wow,etc" with this map.

im only at stage 1 for now and my car is stock except for the AP.

The FXT has a Protune by Mike @ GST Motorsports (he used to be the tuner at GRuppe-S), and it was a good experience. I'm waiting on Ed @ EQ Tuning to get me dyno time so that he can Protune the Legacy, since Mike's shop isn't up and running yet. Then I'll go back to Mike for a race gas/100 octane tune for the Legacy in a couple months.

More or less, my mods necessitated the need for a Protune since I have more than the basic downpipe necessary for Cobb's Stage II programming in both vehicles. If you're at Stage I, a Protune probably won't be worthwhile (at least not to me).

-Mike-

I got protuned by DB Tuned in Roseville, He has a mustang dyno. I would recommend Paul at DB tuned because he definalty is a stand up guy and will tell you straight up what you need and don't need. And he has terrific customer service.

The protune that I recieved was based on my STi swap that was installed at DB tuned also.

in regard to gas milage it all depends on how you drive, Before the tune I used to "granny" drive so obviously I got great gas milage, however after the tune and I found out how much power i really had, I don't quite get the milage I used to... it all depends on that right foot.

And also in regard to voided warrenties.. I obviousy have had a lot done to my Legacy, but if you have an 05 legacy you may want to have the dealer change out your ECU before you do any type of hardcore modding and/or tuning.... because of that whole cooling fan relay thing. I for one had to dish out around $600 for a new ECU because I had voided the warrenty.

Just thought I would chime in and give a little protune and voided warrenty experience of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this is a tad old, but +1 for Ed, he custom tuned my 20g legacy and he's definitely a stand up guy and a great tuner, took very much time and detail to get my car just right.

Also yeah, Jeremy and Ed are getting together and opening a shop called Method Motorsports (I think... definitely Method something) and that's going to be pretty tight for sure and should open within the month. They're going to have some lifts, mechanics, a great tuner, a parts guy, and on AWD dyno (I think Land and Sea Research makes the dyno). Anyway, just an FYI

Maybe this is a tad old, but +1 for Ed, he custom tuned my 20g legacy and he's definitely a stand up guy and a great tuner, took very much time and detail to get my car just right.

Also yeah, Jeremy and Ed are getting together and opening a shop called Method Motorsports (I think... definitely Method something) and that's going to be pretty tight for sure and should open within the month. They're going to have some lifts, mechanics, a great tuner, a parts guy, and on AWD dyno (I think Land and Sea Research makes the dyno). Anyway, just an FYI

do you know where its going to be located? i heard s.sf from somewhere... if so thats just down the block from me!

Archived