LegacyGT.com

AWD and Snow Wires?

MtnSub

Anyone have experience with tire wires(don't like chains) on AWD subys? I drive 300 mi to my Calif ski area across desert about five times per winter. So switching to snow tires does not work for me. As most of us know, AWD is not magic and is not much help stoping or turning on hard pack. It only takes a few minutes to put on wires for real added safety. Even if you drive careful on ice, people around you that don't think about conditions do dumb stuff and you need to react. My question is two fold. One, anyone know of good brands or style of wires? Second, on AWD suby, would you put the wires on front, I assume for better steering and stopping? Any advice from those of you that live every winter with ice and AWD?

Subaru says this. -Do no use chains on your Subaru. -Use 4 snow tires allways, not 2, not 3, not 1, but 4 of the exact same type and tread wear. With that said some good snow tires that lots of other subaru owners have recommended are. Nokians (WR's or RSi's) Blizzak's WS-50s (for deep snow, not as good in the dry or wet) Blizzak LM-25's these are new tires and look pretty promissing. There are others out there too, just do a search here or nasioc.com

Also being a California skiier, I understand the need for extra traction but not wanting to switch to snow tires. I think people who live in the snowbelt would be more likely to switch to winter tires. I've used the Shur Grip Z cables on my previous Forester with very good results: [url]http://www.scc-chain.com/Pages%20Traction/Pass%20trac%20prod.html[/url] They are low profile so they should work with the Legacy (haven't had a chance to try them yet). They also install relatively easily and provide extra traction for the very deep or icy stuff. I've used them in the middle of winter around Tahoe as well as Yosemite. Put them on your front tires. I've read that for the ultimate, unstoppable experience, get two sets and put them on all four tires. Ken

Thanks Ken S, That is exactly the info and experienced comment I was looking for. Brand, source and how to all in one. Great help. I am from SoCal and part-time Mammoth resident, but look forward to skiing Alpine Meadows again one of these winters. Maybe your advice will keep me from sliding into someday. We actually see lots of Tahoe people in Mammoth late season.

You're welcome MtnSub. Out of curiosity, I did a search for what fits on the stock GT tires 215/45R17. Unfortunately, it looks like the Shur Grip Z is not available for that size. The standard model is available. The difference, from what I can tell, is that the Shur Grip Z uses an elastic tensioner that makes it unecessary to do the install, roll forward and retighten procedure. I'm in NoCal so I haven't made the trip down to Mammoth yet. I'd love to try that some day. But north shore resorts at Tahoe aren't bad. Alpine Meadows is great as is Squaw, Northstar and for quickie trips, Sugar Bowl. Have fun! Ken

Archived