LegacyGT.com

Car wouldn't start?

Zanatech

this morning my car wouldn't start the first try just cranked. it was like 50 degrees out. earlier that night (1-2 am) when it was <30 it started just fine. im taking it to the dealer later this week to get the oil changed/routine matenience, should i mention this to them and have them check it out? also it seems like it is going to stall when i stop sometimes (mainly when stopping quickly, people like pulling out infront of me). other than this time it has started quickly but idled a little rough till it warms up.

just a side note. im 22 but take great care of my car. i park away from people, wash it regularly, vacuum it out etc... do all the oil changes on time, let it warm up (even during the summer) and rotate the tires regularly. also merging onto the interstate is the only time i go above 5000 rpm, avg 24.5+mpg city 30+ highway in a 2005 2.5i sedan.

its kind of wierd. does the warranty have any deductable? i wasn't fully informed about the warranty program.

• 5 weeks later...
Mine has a harder time starting in the colder whether but i assume that is normal.

How cold are we talking about? 'cuz, my 93 Mazda with 212K km never had problems starting in cold or any kind of weather (except when battery died) and today my LGT had problem starting up, and it only has 22K km!!! It felt so emberassing on the parking lot when 1 yr old LGT won't start and the guy next me in he's 10 yr old civic starts up fine and takes off. It took about 5 tries and 5th time I had to give it some gas to start it up (it reminds me of my old 88 huyndai excel with carborator engine, I'd have to pump the gas a few times - like mower - before starting up :lol: ). Well, today it wasn't funny. wtf?

Like Zanatec, I'm young, 25, but I don't even beat on this car. I don't even go to 5K rpm cuz LGT has plenty of power at 3K rpm, there's really no need for it. I wash my car once a week, vacume it regulary, change SYNTETIC MOBIL 1 oil every less then 6K km (not miles), and today I could bearly start my car. It started up fine at lunch time (about 3-4 hrs earlier), and it was about 10-15C outside (not cold).

Anyone else had this problem?

... and today my LGT had problem starting up, and it only has 22K km!!! It felt so emberassing on the parking lot when 1 yr old LGT won't start and the guy next me in he's 10 yr old civic starts up fine and takes off. It took about 5 tries and 5th time I had to give it some gas to start it up (it reminds me of my old 88 huyndai excel with carborator engine, I'd have to pump the gas a few times - like mower - before starting up :lol: ). Well, today it wasn't funny. wtf?

Suspect leaking fuel injectors. Sounds like you are flooding.

I guess it depends on how good your dealer is. From what I've read, many will say "it's normal" if they don't see a code. This is unfortunate and can lead to much needless frustration and ill will.

I suggest calling them up and asking the service advisor what they would do for diagnosing (they'll ask you if your check engine light is on)... take it from there.

If it consistently won't start when cold, see if you can drop it off overnight and get a loaner as they try to reproduce the problem the next morning.

what? liar? how about a responsible there are alot of people between 20ish and 25ish that know how to take care of their vehicles, seriously the worst abuse i put it on was driving down the minimum maintence road after it rained, my friends fj cruiser went in the ditch cause it was just 2-3 inches of mud. i admit i do somethings in my car that i shouldn't, but nothing wretched/warranty voiding/racing.

anways, i went to the dealership.

they reflashed the ecu (basically they thought it would fix it) it seemed to fix the problems i was having i.e. the going to stall feeling after braking sometimes, and it seems to start alot easier.

as for the cold temperature it was about 40 both times it didn't start, which shouldn't be a problem, makes me kind of worried for when/if it gets to -15 or so like it normally does here.

they also replaced my window regulators and lubed the guides since they were making a screeching noise.

i think they are being pretty understanding since i bought the car like 4.5k miles ago used from them, and this stuff shouldn't be happening this early in its life, and they don't know who owned the car before me for sure.

get to go back to the dealership cause the car makes a thumping sound when turning right (no feedback through the wheel so nothing is bent etc..)

also i hear a ding noise kind of like the seatbelt one randomly, no lights come on or anything, but its been mainly during turning. is it some type of turn signal reminder?

As much as I pity you, what 25 yr old doesnt take the 7,000 rpm redline car to 5,000?

LIAR!

Whatever. I didn't say I NEVER readline it, but I bearly ever do. Since I bought the car probably like 10 times total. No need really, car has plenty of power!

I bought my car 5 days ago. Today I couldn't start the car at lunch. You guys have no idea how much my heart sank. After work I experienced the exact same thing. I drove straight to the dealership and told them about my problem. They're going to take a look at it tomorrow. I'm off to a very bad start.

On another note, I'm 26 years old and haven't had much time behind the wheel in the LGT Wagon. But even I've redlined it a couple (literally 2) times already. I just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't worry guys, it won't see those high rpms until 1000 miles, but that's assuming it'll start. I think my driving habits are similar to Malim's, don't worry I believe you.

Dealership wasn't able to start the car either. They said it was a bad battery. They replaced it with a "new" one. The car did start up fine after that. I'm praying this is the end of this problem, only time will tell. How many trips does it take for the car to be considered a lemon?

That really sucks! I wish it happaned to me when I had it for 5 days, I would just return it.

pillboy> what kind of tire is that in your avatar pic? thanks.

Sorry, but it was funny. Did you get the no start issue resolved? The tire is a Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Good luck and I appreciate your disappointment / frustration.

It is still ugly.

Me? No. But it starts fine now. I wonder, since some ppl here said that batteries in these cars aren't too good, and I have a rust module, maybe that caused the startup issue? Either way, it shouldn't because the car was sitting for less then 4 hours before I started it again, and sometimes it'd be sitting for a whole day or two in my garage and I didn't have that problem. Also, rust module was installed by dealer and was told that it will NEVER cause that kind of problem. It's supposed to sense how much battery it's using or whatever, and it'll shut off on its own, and it does. I noticed sometimes in morning that the little LED will be off.

Now I wonder if these things work good at all since they go on and off all the time.

p.s. Are you happy with dunlops?

Archived