LegacyGT.com

Spec. B Tranmissions

So Subaru is making more and more of the Spec. B. So I got to believe that at some point, sooner rather than later, they will have to offer in automatic in order to boost their sales. So my question is why kind of transmission do you think will go in it? 5EAT? Or do you think that Subaru is working on something better. 7EAT to compete with Mercedes, Lexus, and everyone else that is seeing the benefits of more gears?

Subaru doesn't have to design their own; they can spec it out and buy it.

Toyota doesn't always design / build their own transmissions. I believe the Prius transmission (which is one of the most technologically advanced) is an Aisin unit.

However, there are pitfalls to outsourcing critical components. Ford tried to use the Aisin hybrid transmission in the Escape but for some reason couldn't get enough of the transmissions. I believe either the chairman or one of the directors has the last name Toyoda.

So Subaru is making more and more of the Spec. B. So I got to believe that at some point, sooner rather than later, they will have to offer in automatic in order to boost their sales. So my question is why kind of transmission do you think will go in it? 5EAT? Or do you think that Subaru is working on something better. 7EAT to compete with Mercedes, Lexus, and everyone else that is seeing the benefits of more gears?

I doubt it.

The Spec B is the "sport" model of the Legacy much like how the STI is to the Impreza. You can have an automatic WRX much like how you can have an automatic GT but you cannot have an automatic STI and the non-auto STI sells very well.

Mercedes, Lexus are still above Subaru's social status; be realistic and aim for the higher end VW's and low-end Audis so a 6sp auto if anything might happen.

I doubt it.

The Spec B is the "sport" model of the Legacy much like how the STI is to the Impreza. You can have an automatic WRX much like how you can have an automatic GT but you cannot have an automatic STI and the non-auto STI sells very well.

Valid point, but it is also contains the most luxurious features. What kind of buyers is Subaru missing by not offering to people that desire automatics. Not saying that it should be. Maybe they should offer another model. Maybe they should make the Spec. B. available in Auto and then offer a 293 hp, 6 speed manual only STi version of the Legacy. Personally, I wouldnt buy a car thats not a manual. But I also dont have to deal with stop and go traffic.

Valid point, but it is also contains the most luxurious features. What kind of buyers is Subaru missing by not offering to people that desire automatics. Not saying that it should be. Maybe they should offer another model. Maybe they should make the Spec. B. available in Auto and then offer a 293 hp, 6 speed manual only STi version of the Legacy. Personally, I wouldnt buy a car thats not a manual. But I also dont have to deal with stop and go traffic.

7 and 8 speed ATs will spell the end of the MT at least for me. They will be so efficient that we slow humans will be unable to compete with their ability to apply and control power.

Ponder, if you will, going into a corner as you paddle down your gearing to the perfect ratio for exit, the stability control adding subtle inputs and the electro magnetic suspension assuming the most efficient stance. What fun!!!!!:)

It'll be fun, but a lot of people still prefer to shift themselves. I like DSGs for the technology, but I can understand why a lot of people still enjoy being more in harmony with the car with a manual despite the slower engagement.

Ditto. The only thing that will get me out of a MT (in a performance-oriented car) will be a sequential gearbox.

-Mike-

I just like shifting... it's not about speed or 0-60, I just like being able to shift and run with it! :D I had a great drive home tonight and I enjoyed rowing through the gears... call me crazy but I was taught on a stick and will always love it. :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

In other markets, such as Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, the spec.B is available as a sedan and as a station wagon, both with the 3.0 six-cylinder engine and 5EAT automatic transmission. For me that would be the right combination.

Ditto. The only thing that will get me out of a MT (in a performance-oriented car) will be a sequential gearbox.

-Mike-

At the current level of technology, even a DSG wouldn't get me to switch over. There's a reason why DSG-equipped cars tend to weigh over 4000 lbs...

When DSGs go on a diet and weigh less, then I'll reconsider.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

It'll be fun, but a lot of people still prefer to shift themselves. I like DSGs for the technology, but I can understand why a lot of people still enjoy being more in harmony with the car with a manual despite the slower engagement.

My original response seems to have gotten lost but I enjoy the MT as well.:)

I just like shifting... it's not about speed or 0-60, I just like being able to shift and run with it! :D I had a great drive home tonight and I enjoyed rowing through the gears... call me crazy but I was taught on a stick and will always love it. :)

Admit it, you just like handling a stick cause its a socially acceptable form of mastubation in public :lol:

me too :(

Ed

Admit it, you just like handling a stick cause its a socially acceptable form of mastubation in public :lol:

me too :(

Ed

:lol: NICE! Me four... or me one since I said it first. :iam::D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived