LegacyGT.com

Front brake rotors warped

robsop1

^ Really? That's an interesting thought, wonder how much they are...

I got it too, BUT I just replaced the tires and it seemed to have gone away. New pad are on order- HPS. I'll turn the rotors prior to the install 24k.

So Hawk now offers pad replacements for our 05 LGT???

Are there any reviews yet that I missed?

Discount Tire's policy is that they use manual torque wrenches to tighten lug nuts. I confirmed this was true (at least in my one sample) when I went there with my previous car.

They did use a torque wrench. But I don't know if they did it in the right order, used the correct torque setting, or overtightened the lugs with the air gun. They use the air gun before the torque wrench. Any thoughts on the air gun overtightening the lugs?

^ i think oem rotors are cheap enough to just buy another pair.. rather than spending the money to shave down old rotors, I rather just buy new ones.

Not in Canada they cost me $220 cdn my wife's 04 Malibu they cost $24 cdn !!! :(

They did use a torque wrench. But I don't know if they did it in the right order, used the correct torque setting, or overtightened the lugs with the air gun. They use the air gun before the torque wrench. Any thoughts on the air gun overtightening the lugs?

Yes, this could be a logical flaw in their process. An air gun could over tighten, and then following up with a torque wrench would be meaningless because they would merely prove the lugs were "at least" 70 lb-ft (or whatever they set at).

I think the shop used "torque sticks" on the air wrench, but I can't recall now.

Frickin retards.

I hate it when people air wrench my lug nuts...WAY TO DANG TIGHT!!!

Last time my wheel was over tightened with one of those suckers, I broke my stock lugnut wrench...

Yes, this could be a logical flaw in their process. An air gun could over tighten, and then following up with a torque wrench would be meaningless because they would merely prove the lugs were "at least" 70 lb-ft (or whatever they set at).

I think the shop used "torque sticks" on the air wrench, but I can't recall now.

yes they use torque sticks, and if you see them doing it improperly, just tell the salesman

air gun w/torque sticks-> torque wrench

scroll all the way down

I kow several garages / tire shops that stopped using them they proved some what inacurate ?

what you mean inaccurate? you mean metric --> imperial? :lol: ...lets see 75lbs -> 34.02kg's

when dtc bolts up the wheel, they hand tighten (unlikey) and then use the torque sticks so they do not over-torque. then they use a torque wrench to make sure the wheel/lugs are tightened with the correct pressure.

torque sticks are placed to prevent over-torque-age, how would that be inaccurate?

to the OP, i guess the only option is to get it cut, but hey, at least they shouldn't charge you, only your time

Well I used to have pulsating problems. I go with the crowd that says it isn't the rotors warping, but uneven deposits of pad meterial. I could always get themm to go away by rebedding the brakes, some light stop and go, and letting them cool properly.

Oddly enough, I found now that i got rid of the stock tires for a set that don't get overwhelemed by the barkes and set off the ABS constantly, i don't have issues with that warped rotor feel very often.

Perhaps it's coincidence, but i don't think so.

what you mean inaccurate? you mean metric --> imperial? :lol: ...lets see 75lbs -> 34.02kg's

when dtc bolts up the wheel, they hand tighten (unlikey) and then use the torque sticks so they do not over-torque. then they use a torque wrench to make sure the wheel/lugs are tightened with the correct pressure.

torque sticks are placed to prevent over-torque-age, how would that be inaccurate?

to the OP, i guess the only option is to get it cut, but hey, at least they shouldn't charge you, only your time

I should have said not AS accurate with just the stick, they use the tq wrench to be sure of proper tq :icon_bigg

Pulstations during braking, could be one or a combination of the following:

- Overtorqued lug nuts

- Warped rotors

- Bad brake pads

On the LGT with stock pads and rotors, it is highly likely to be the pads, especially if you drive aggresively and brake late.

Turning the rotors will fix the issue temporarily, until the next time you brake hard/late and the pad just sh!ts all over the rotor again.

I keed I keeed

Torque sticks are useless IMO. I have an 85 ftlb torque stick that will, with a strong enough air gun, will spin nuts down to 120 pounds. A torque wrench is the only way to ensure a specific torque. Even with that, if you don't use the wrench properly it will be inacurate.

Paul.

• 4 years later...

Archived