LegacyGT.com

A few Questions from a new subie owner

Overall I am very happy with my new subie (2.5iMT OB) but I have a couple powertrain/engine questions because for a new car the engine does not seem as quiet or smooth as I might expect:

1. noticed a fairly rough idle to the point that you feel the car shake/shudder (a bit) as it sits idling long after the car is warmed up. Anyone else experience this?

2. At about 3000 rpm the engine sounds a bit noisy - almost like a shuffling noise from the engine compartment - again is this standard boxer sound or something I should look into?

You can occasionally feel more vibration in a Subie than in some others, althoug I think it's mainly because it's different than in the others - the H4 engine resulting in a a yaw torque, which you'd feel as sideways. Was it present in the one you test drove?

As for shuffling sounds, I've not heard anything like that.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I sometimes get a slight shake at idle that only lasts about one piston stroke or so. I figure it has to do with a lack of (or need for) counter-balance weight and just less mass spinning with the crank, and as mentioned above, those silly sideways cylinders. I accept it as a trade off for the free-revving smooth performance up the tach.

Overall I am very happy with my new subie (2.5iMT OB) but I have a couple powertrain/engine questions because for a new car the engine does not seem as quiet or smooth as I might expect:

1. noticed a fairly rough idle to the point that you feel the car shake/shudder (a bit) as it sits idling long after the car is warmed up. Anyone else experience this?

2. At about 3000 rpm the engine sounds a bit noisy - almost like a shuffling noise from the engine compartment - again is this standard boxer sound or something I should look into?

1.) normal, mine does this as well sometimes. more of an annoyance

2.) that sound must be the intake noise. completely normal. part of the boxer charm.

Well, I have a '05 LGT and tonight when I started my car I had the rough idle as described by nahtanoj1. But when I drove off my "CEL" started flashing. I pulled over and stopped and it went out but still had the rough idle. I drove off again and the light came back.? I only had a couple blocks and when I pulled into my driveway the light went out and still had the rough idle. I figure I'll call my dealership and see what they say.

________

Squirting Black

Well, I have a '05 LGT and tonight when I started my car I had the rough idle as described by nahtanoj1. But when I drove off my "CEL" started flashing. I pulled over and stopped and it went out but still had the rough idle. I drove off again and the light came back.? I only had a couple blocks and when I pulled into my driveway the light went out and still had the rough idle. I figure I'll call my dealership and see what they say.

Your bad idle sounds like a misfire, probably a bad coil tripping the CEL. The one the original thread starter is describing is normal. Its a very very slight wobble, you really have to be quiet and still to even feel it..

Latest gen are a lot smoother at idle than the older 2.5's. Probably worth beefing to the dealer.

But the subaru engine is the opposite on inline 4's - not especially smooth at idle, but much better on the highway than most.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Interestingly I found the noise of a 2.5i I was test driving louder and unsetlling at high rpms than the woosh sound of the LGT turbo boxer.

Is it just me or is there diffrerence in the sound deading between 2.5i and GT?

...1. noticed a fairly rough idle to the point that you feel the car shake/shudder (a bit) as it sits idling long after the car is warmed up. Anyone else experience this?...

What you're feeling a known as a "rocking couple" and is normal for a horizontally-opposed 4-cylinder engine. The engine smooths-out at higher RPMs, though.

Is it just me or is there diffrerence in the sound deading between 2.5i and GT?

I test drove both and bought the 2.5i. I found the sound of the mechanical growl similar. The GT of course had the turbo whine though. The mechanical sound is loudest during acceleration and IMO on the 2.5i it's more noticeable because it lasts longer and takes more time to get up to your desired speed. In the GT it's over so quick you don't hear it for very long.

:lol:

Archived