LegacyGT.com

Cell phone advice?

Guest *Jedimaster*

Get this one.

Fully functional Portable Rotary Phone! Phone comes fully assembled and tested. All you have to do is open the phone, insert your SIM card, and turn the unit on! The unit will utilize your phone number and account minutes. Phone dials out like normal through the rotary. Incoming calls ring the original, loud, gong style metal bells. Please note: As with all cellular phones, there is no dial tone. While we thoroughly enjoying taking the Port-O-Rotary out on the town, please realize the sound quality will not be as good as your pocket phone.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/images/Rotary-0.jpg

Guest *Jedimaster*
Well, I went looking at them the other night and it's just information overload- I'm thinking of just keeping my shitty old phone and calling it a day.

Well, I went looking at them the other night and it's just information overload- I'm thinking of just keeping my shitty old phone and calling it a day.

Just get the LG VX8300. It's a solid flip phone with Verizon's new OS. It has bluetooth and all of the other goodies you can imagine. Plus, its cheap! as I said before, I have the Chocolate, and this is the phone that I should have gotten.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

We have a plan with Verizon. If the LG above is one of the choices, they've held up well for us.

If you are looknig at smart phones, we now have 5 people using the Motorola Q. If you get any smart phone be sure and buy the extended service/replacement plan - they're complex and expensive if broken.

I didn't want it but found it to be extremely useful, with better reception than the LG it replaced. Only shortcoming was battery life, I know have a long life battery that makes it thicker. Keyboard works surprisingly well.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

speaking of battery life...:offtopic:

Just a quick PSA for Verizon users: Disable EV-DO if you don't use "Get it Now", or the web. This will greatly increase battery life if you are like me and just talk on your phone, with the occasional text message or three. The method for disabling EV-DO is different for each phone, but its normally located in the service menu (for LG phones, hit "Menu" then hit "0000000" That will dump you into the service menu where you can select "1x only". Almost doubled my battery life!

I am getting the KRZR from Amazon soon. Its $50 right now with activation!!! I am switching from Sprint to Verizon - Amazon has some sweet prices. Only $50 is a mail-in rebate.... so I only pay $100 at checkout I think.

I would get the moto Q - but it requires a data plan, and right now the Verizon plans are expensive. I am too lazy to wait until Sprint gets the KRZR and Q (which they are supposed to by the end of the year), so I am just switching to verizon. The data plans on Sprint are cheap - hopefully they don't do what verizon did and require a different plan when getting a smartphone. They currently don't on the Treos. Which means motoQ with internet and email would be cheap.

The KRZR can be hacked just like the razr, so all the features that are out there will still be available (free WAP internet, customizable bluetooth options, mp3 player, SD card saving options, etc etc). I might actually use it as an mp3 player for now - but my guess is battery life sucks.

No love for the Sony's?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-W810i-Phone-Cingular/dp/B000J2FOF0/sr=1-2/qid=1161644725/ref=sr_1_2/104-3697102-2701533?ie=UTF8&s=wireless

I have the Sony-Ericsson S710a Star Wars edition. I like it. It's obsolete but still has most of the current generation functions. It's a little bit larger than others but it has a bigger screen. It's round all over so even though it's bigger, it's comfortable to store in your pocket.

Some of my upper management friends use the Blackberry 8700g. Apparently, it's all the rage for the exec-types. No camera phone so it's good for use in areas that don't allow cameras on-site.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FEHG76/ref=amb_link_3600792_2/104-3697102-2701533

I have the same phone, but not the Star Wars theme. I am currently using the Sony Ericsson W900i, almost the same as the S710, but whole lot better!

get the blackberry pearl from t-mobile or the cingular 8125 (t-mobile calles it T-mobile MDA)(i have the cingular version and i like it) ...the 8125 is a tad bit bulky yet not a bad pda/phone in one. T-mobile SDA looks kinda neat as well

the blackbery pearl will b my next phone

I dunno why you guys are hatin on the razor. I have it & it's the best phone I've had since I had a star-tac 5 years ago
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I dunno why you guys are hatin on the razor. I have it & it's the best phone I've had since I had a star-tac 5 years ago

People who don't know how to take care of their phones keep on breaking them. Even then, it only takes one little drop onto asphalt and the screen can crack. They guy at my Verizon store actually steered me away from one.

People who don't know how to take care of their phones keep on breaking them. Even then, it only takes one little drop onto asphalt and the screen can crack. They guy at my Verizon store actually steered me away from one.

the Verzion salesman told me something similar he said i would not like the Motorola phone and to buy a LG 8100 btw both where offered for the same price at the time. LG phones work great. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

^^^ +1 on the LG phones, I really like their stuff. I said it before, but I should have got the VX8300. That is the ideal phone for my purposes.

another thing to look at is how phone feels on your ear are the controls/buttons easy to use? are they large enough to see does it slip in your pocket easy some phones are squared off and seem to get caught on pockets rounded corners are better. imo. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived