LegacyGT.com

SAFElight?

Wall Street Journal

Brake Lights That Warn Of Sudden Stops

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116121365277996994.html?mod=autos_3

"SuddenSTOP, which is battery-operated, will retail for $29.95 at http://www.suddenstop.com. SAFELight is sold at racinginnovations.com and autolumination.com for between $20 to $30 for each bulb."

Does anyone have experience with the SAFElight, a LED replacement for the standard taillight lamp? This LED light flashes repeatedly during hard braking.

The ones I've seen previously are the ones that flash continuously, oddly enough it's usually on the back of a huge Excursion or Suburban. (What, a 20 ft long white whale is hard to see??) Usually it's annoying enough for me to consciously turn my eyes away from the continuous flashing, hardly what the manufacturer intended, I'm sure.

A light that's activated only when you 'slam on the brakes, not during normal stops' would be a great improvement over those annoying lights mentioned above. The website is oddly vague about just How it manages this discrimination, that does leave me wondering just how well it really works.

Edit: Hmmmm... wondering if this could be the solution to adding the rear fog lights I've been looking for? Eviscerate whatever they are using currently and hook the lights up to a switch, perhaps? It would certainly be cheaper than JDM\EDM spec tails.

Actually Peugeot in France has had this on their top models for a few years now. You can also get it in Germany as an option for Mercedes I believe, not sure. The only difference is theirs work by sensors and if the computer senses that this is a panic stop or a heavy stop it flashes the 3rd brake light. If its just a regular stop it doesn't.

Archived