LegacyGT.com

tail lights

fbi012

I think you could make the lights a little brighter. The new tail light setup for the 3 series runs on a LED setup. A lot of the current shape BMW M3 owners are looking to move to the new LED back light setup as it is relatively cheap and easy to reprogram thru the computer. The whole deal is costing around the USD250 mark plus USD50 to re-program. Not sure if Subaru will go down this same track but it would be good if they do. This could be something for the OEM market. Adam. PS Moving this thread to Exteriors. Thanks.

You would have to check the maximum power that can be in for the blubs, don't need to go melting anything. I'm looking for rear clears too, I want clears front and back I miss them. Also I want to see if I can black out the reverse lights so that they only show up when in reverse, I don't know how managable that is as it would have to be done so elements of safety are kept in tack.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I think the melting part was the big worry for me especially moving from the normal light system to HID's if I went down that track, the same would remain true for the rear if you went a brighter globe. Then again, u dont run yr tail lights all the time and you might only want to upgrade yr brake lights only. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']The new tail light setup for the 3 series runs on a LED setup. A lot of the current shape BMW M3 owners are looking to move to the new LED back light setup as it is relatively cheap and easy to reprogram thru the computer. The whole deal is costing around the USD250 mark plus USD50 to re-program. Not sure if Subaru will go down this same track but it would be good if they do. This could be something for the OEM market. [/quote] Yes, I'm annoyed that Subaru haven't already started to use LED lights all round (except headlights), especially the one behind the rear window. Obviously Subaru don't really want to be in the luxury or prestige market.

[quote name='fan42025']Yes, I'm annoyed that Subaru haven't already started to use LED lights all round (except headlights), especially the one behind the rear window. Obviously Subaru don't really want to be in the luxury or prestige market.[/quote] i thought the JDM wagon's have LED rear fog lights?

This Space For Rent

[quote name='jedimaster']Get some Altezzas :lol:[/quote] Sorry, it's the juppy in me speaking out. Normally, I couldn't give a rat's ass. Love the car and that's all that matters. Still, I expect the next GT/STi/whatever I get will have LEDs :evil:

I'd like LED tail lights, not for bling factor, but because they have a sudden on, sudden off state change that grabs my attention much better than the incandesants. I much prefer it when the brake lights coming on gets my attention, and others attention.

[quote name='DAP']I'd like LED tail lights, not for bling factor, but because they have a sudden on, sudden off state change that grabs my attention much better than the incandesants. I much prefer it when the brake lights coming on gets my attention, and others attention.[/quote] Exactly! I thought this was the original reason for using a LED stop light behind the rear window. Can't understand why Subaru decided to use a bulb there - to save money? Pathetic if that's the case. All new cars in GT's league use LEDs there, and most below also (eg. Mitsubishi). Anyway, next time.

I have thought about this topic for a while. What I'd love to see in the Legacy Sedan Tail lights: Extend the line in the trunk through the tai lights, all the way to the side edge. Above is smoke tinted, unfluted, and faceted reflector behind it. Toward the trunk edge, a halogen reverse light. Toward the side edge, amber LED turn signals, perhaps shrouded, like the upper brake light sections in Toyota Prius tail lights. Perhaps, also programmed to light from inside to outside quickly, and hold for half a second. (i'd do the mirror signals like that, too.) Below the line, an unfluted red lens, much like the current Legacy tail lights, with the chrome border (nice touch) 4 lines of those plastic light pipes with LEDs in the ends (like e39 BMW 5-series tail lights) that wrap around from the trunk edge to the side edge, that light for tail lights. Below those, filling in the space to the bottom of the tail light, red LEDs, similar to cadillac DeVille, that light adaptively depending on braking force. For lighter than normal force, they would "Warm up", or have progressively more of them come on, to full bright at a similar rate to an incandescent bulb. For quicker brake applications, or more force imparted, they could be more instant on, or the tail light optics could get brighter/come on. For emergency stops, when ABS is activated, the leds could have a modulated pulse from 75%-100% intensity, to really grab attention. For rear fog lights, a square area of the brake light LEDs, closest to the trunk edge could go full-bright. When the brakes are applied, they default back to brake-light behavior. Either that, or mounting clear/red LED Legacy Wagon rear fogs into the trunk lid. (german market for left side, jdm for right side) For the CHMSL, I would do something similar to the most recent Olds Aurora, with a wide LED array, across the top of the rear glass, from the inside. If you've ever seen the inside of the Aurora, the CHMSL is mounted as a separate peice to the rear part of the headliner. I wonder if one could do some fabrication, and re-cover it with subaru headliner cloth, and install one of those in a Legacy sedan?

Archived