LegacyGT.com

Will my GPS fit in the Legacy Cubby Hole?

rudy

Still waiting for my 07 GT to arrive. In the meantime, I'm curious if my Garmin Nuvi 350 will be able to fit in the cubby hole so I can close it when parked to make it less visable when the car is parked.

The dimensions are as follows:

3.87" W x 2.91" H x 0.87" D (98.3 mm x 73.9 mm x 22.1 mm)

For perspective, it's very much palmsized:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin_images/nuvi_func.gif

I'll probably try and use a mount similar to this one:

http://www.roadmapgps.com/models/garmin-nuvi-350/pic0011.jpg

Can anyone here point me to where the cubby hole dimensions are posted, or knows them offhand, etc.?

I've got the C550 (pretty much same size) and it will NOT fit in the cubby box. The nuvi may fit in there stored, but you wouldn't see the screen. You might be able to fab up some slide out swivel mount but that take a bit of work.

I used the AVO clock relocation kit and removed the bottom part of the cubby box and cut up the vent trim so I still have the door (but no box or clock). Fits perfectly now! I'll try to snap some pictures tomorrow.

Note that should be able to keep the clock if you remove the door and box. I had that setup for awhile, but didn't like it being visable (had my last car stolen for contents!).

I also have the Nuvi 350. It will not fit into the cubby. I ran the power wires behind the cubby and suction cup the Nuvi to the floor of the cubby. You will need to remove the rubber mat that sits on the floor of the cubby. I tapped into the cigarette lighter for power behind the dash. I also installed a hard-wired FM modulator and ran that wire into the cubby as well. Now when I play MP3's on the Nuvi, the music comes out of the car's speakers. My passengers were impressed when we were listening to commercial-free music with occasional interruptions that announced the next turn on our journey.

Finally remembered to snap some pictures of my beta install of the Garmin C550 GPS in my cubby with the clock relocated.

As you can see when the door's closed it's hard to see the GPS, even with the screen on you can barely see it from seated level in the car, outside the car you only see the GPS black bezel (I swapped out the stock silver one).

I really only get glare when the sunroofs open or when the sun's low, but it's still pretty easy to read.

I used the rubber cover on the bottom of my new cubby but haven't built a true expanded cubby (may never will). This allowed me to adjust the bottom so the GPS is wedged between the back of the cubby top and rubber, so it stays put but is easy to pull out.

Also not pictured is the 12v socket is moved up to behind cubby the GPS so it's on accessory power. I also got the external mic and routed it through the dash up the passenger size A piller then through the headliner to the windshield next to the mirror. If I want to use the GPS in another car it's easy to pull out the GPS and power socket (and the mount that stashed back there).

cubby_closed.jpg.d2d31509477aa86badf86d3bcf59315e.jpg

Cubb_front_nosun.jpg.b73a1e7ed9366a1c8c9d49dec9285bac.jpg

Cubby_front_glare.jpg.18a6a1c3cca5f8f7594d2e9c7c969177.jpg

Cubby_top.jpg.fbea449c7181c5a921ec6012390e81b0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived