LegacyGT.com

help with Ksports

Satans_Puppet

I've been running my ksports for a couple of months now, and my friends complain that the ride is jsut too rough in the back. It seems to launch off of any bump I go over. It's to the point that if I hit a large enough bumb at freeway speeds my rear passengers are launched into the roof. Now, as hilarious as the noise from my friends heads hitting the ceiling of my car is, I really have to do something about it. I have the 7kg/mm stock springs and the dampners are turned all the way up. The spring preload is 3.5 turns past relaxed in the front and 3 turns past relaxed in the back. Does anyone else with kports have this problem, or have a set-up suggestion to soften my ride.

ksport 7kg front/rear

cusco 23mm sway front

cusco 21mm sway rear

perrin endlinks

and due to my lack of reading and poor attention am running falken azenis 6-15 255/45/18 on my 5ziegan rims. Which means i'm forced to run the coilovers at their maximum height to avoid rubbing new tires after winter 245/35/18 hopefully. any suggestions?

Also, I have the damn creaking in the front passenger side coilover that is common with these ksports and haven't been able to get it to go away.

Or should I just get different springs in the rear. Anyone have the 7kg front 6kg rear setup and like it?

Well first of all, you have a super stiff suspension setup that took all compliance out. Second, don't turn the dampening to full hard, this just makes the strut stiffer, set it t full soft and it should be a smoother slide.

I fixed all my creaks and groans and spring binding noises by taking ample amounts of wheel bearing grease and working it into the pillow ball joint. You can pull the nutoff the spindle (after you loosen the spring) and slide it out and grease the two busings that go into either side of the ball joint, and then just cover everything the spring touch with grease. Keeps it from making so much noise by letting it rotate freely.

I have my ksports set to probably 6 turns and find the ride is stiff, but not too bad. You might want to run a soft spring like a 4/5 setup (I think thats close to stock, maybe a little higher)

perhaps i wasn't clear, the dampners are already on full soft and ride is still really rough. can not preloading enough make the ride more harsh? (too little spring involvment?)

Could I have blown my struts and not noticed?

and there was a bit of a mixup when i installed them. turns out I didn't know when I installed them and the spring preload was alot out of the box. I rode around like that for a few months, could I have accidently ruined the springs?

It depends on what kind of bumps are causing the head prints in your roof ;):lol: If you are talking about big bump taken at speed and the rebound launching your passengers, then more dampening will actually help. I have no personal experience with K-Sports, but running your dampening too soft can cause that exact problem.

Unless your preload settings are seriously out of whack (and yours are not) they won't have that severe an impact on your ride quality. Increasing preload might help if you are bottoming your suspension, as it will increase your compression travel at the expense of performance on edge drops since you won't have as much extension travel.

There is no magic bullet. You need to experiment with your settings a bit and see what works best for the bulk of your driving conditions.

Are thes compression and rebound damping adjustable independently? Try full soft compression and full hard rebound. Try it out with an empty car in a parking lot with speed bumps. Start adjusting from there.

Although I agree with greasing the pillowball... I would first check your endlinks. The cusco fsb is narrower than stock and so your endlinks will be angled. I believe the perrin endlinks are unsealed ptfe ball bearings. Dirt entrapment may result in wear and some extra freeplay. Freeplay + angle will result in some noise.

That is not true at all. You cannot compare spring nominal spring rate between the Impreza chassis and the BL/BP chassis. The LGT is a bit heavier so the 7 kg/mm springs versus the 8 kg/mm springs you had in your Impreza are actually quite a bit softer. The rear suspension of the LGT is a multilink versus the strut suspension of the Impreza. Because of that the effective wheel rate of the LGT is much lower than the nominal spring rate, again making it considerably softer than the Impreza with the same spring rates.

In reality, while people get fixated on spring rates, the dampeners have more to do with ride quality. Well valved shocks will ride well even with comparatively stiff springs, but IMHO 7/7 is not too stiff... not by a long shot. BTW, 7/7 are the springs rates on the KW Variant 2 coilovers for the LGT and they ride very nearly as well as stock.

• 3 weeks later...

dunno if you still trying to solve the problem or not. But the ksport coilover is designed to keep your suspension travel the same at any given ride height. Adding preload to the spring only increase your spring rate (since you are loading up the spring with energy and when u go over a bump the spring releases harder, so you want to make sure that you don't add much reload at all, just 1 turn to keep the spring in place). The other thing is that don't set your shock to full soft, the shock damping keeps the spring rebound in control so that you not bouncing all over the place. Turn ur shock to full stiff and then back down to about half way (if you go from full soft to full stiff in 4 full turns, then go about 2 turns or 2 1/2 turns from full soft). This should help you.

Your sway bar might also adding into the mix as u r also increase ur spring rate (relatively speaking) when u step up to a bigger bar. so play with your settings accordingly.

Archived