LegacyGT.com

Need some swaybar input

fatbastard

I would really like to get sways for the wagon but currently the funds are a bit limited so I am looking at possibly picking up a set of used bars to save some coin. But my main concern is how this will affect the car when grip is limited. I know they will tend to make the car more neutral with a tendency towards oversteer. With OEM bars I can get the rear end loose in the rain so I am concerned that winter driving could be a little sketchy with aftermarket. Because of this concern I was hoping to pick up a set of Cobb bars since I could adjust the setting for winter but they are a bit more than I can spend right now. With non-adjustable bars if I disconnect the rear I will have heavy understeer. Can anyone comment on how the sways have affected winter driving? Am I just over analyzing this?

You can make your car understeer by adjusting the tire pressure balance.

It seems most folks run 2 psi more in the front - I believe there's a thread here. Make the rears the same or add a couple more in the back and you'll be able to see what you hit through the front windshield instead of the side wndows [just kidding]. You can add a little at a time to see how it feels.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Just don't overdo it.

A mere 1mm extra (15mm LOB wagon rear bar replaced with 16mm LGT sedan rear bar) made a noticable difference on understeer reduction. And was cheap.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

the type of tires are going to make much more of a difference than sway bars in snow or ice.

I always run dedicated snows since I think they are cheap insurance...for the LGT I will probably run M3's. But the tires will only retain help retain the cars balance, I am just afraid that running a non-adjustable rear bar will be a little too much come winter.

I always run dedicated snows since I think they are cheap insurance...for the LGT I will probably run M3's. But the tires will only retain help retain the cars balance, I am just afraid that running a non-adjustable rear bar will be a little too much come winter.

In the snow/ice, sways of any kind are not going to make a real difference. Its not like you are pulling even a half a gee on ice!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

In the snow/ice, sways of any kind are not going to make a real difference. Its not like you are pulling even a half a gee on ice!

true but from experience cars that are a little loose are better in the snow...cars that are stiffly sprung or additionally stiffened by large sways tend to get a little twitchy and because of that they are more sensitive to inputs.

Same thing applies to my mountian bikes...I have one I ride all summer but hate riding in the winter becaus ethe headtube is too steep....makes the handling great but that is because it reacts to every input. Get on my other bike that is steel, flexes a bit and has a slack headtube and I can ride on shear ice. I just figured it would translate to the car as well.

If your worried why not try the JDM rear bar? It will no be as stiff as cobb or cusco and if you don't like it...sell it. You'd probably only be out about $50.

FB - I would highly recommend you give Rallitek's IPD F&R swaybar's a try. The rear is 19mm, so while sufficiently stiffer than stock, it's not crazy stiff like some of the other swaybars on the market.

I tried swapping a LGT rear swaybar for the stock XT (16mm vs. 15mm) and didn't notice a difference at all. The IPD swap from that & the stock front sway was amazing - it really makes the car much more stable - I'm sure it's exaderated on the XT vs a GT though since we have a softer suspension & more travel to begin with. Strangely, I think it actually handles potholes & bumps better than before too...it's just overall a much more stable car.

They're selling both right now for $199 or just $99 for the rear - well worth the dough. I'd highly recommend this route for any Subaru owner looking for a bit better handling, more stable vehicle.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43883

(I posted pics at the end of the thread)

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

fatbastard: check this out....JDM RSB for sale

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46277

"(1) JDM B4 Rear Sway bar 20mm. My first upgrade I did and probably my favorite. Really helps turn in and flattens the car nicely. Looks like the OEM bar, but bigger! Included will be a set of Whiteline bushings for this bar! Used for 20K miles

Price --- $120 plus shipping "

• 2 weeks later...
I am really thinking about going with the IPD as Jazzy suggested since I am looking to tighten things up a little without making it harsh and the price is right. But I don't want to spend the money on it and then realize I should have gotten something bigger and or adjustable. With that said is there anyone in the NNJ area that has the IPD bars that would be willing to give me a ride?

Archived