LegacyGT.com

The New Pontiac GTO

Those photoshops are just the Monaro with the VY Commodore (sedan) front end. I think they article is wrong in saying sedan, being Kappa based and the most popular Torana's of Australia's past being a 2 door, I believe this is what it will be. They should stick with a TT V6 for a top of line model, not the 2.2ltr 4cyl... Who knows maybe HSV will sell the TT V6 version :D

Another quick pass from a LS1 powered Holden. Not the Coupe GTO we get here in the USA, this is the Holden Commodore Ute (pickup) It is fitted with a Twin Turbo kit APS are developing, more information on [url]www.airpowesystems.com.au[/url] follow Australian models to LS1 commodore links. Right click and "save as" [url]http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/tonner/aps_981.wmv[/url] 9.81 @ 140.3mph :D

Well I'm gonna speak outta my a$$ here, but IMO I think the GTO was built for adults who still want to some part of being young (i.e. camaro, trans am, mustang) but have now grown up and have some semblence of a family. I personally think it's a great alternative to a f-body car. Most people in my age range (20-25) are pretty well caught up in Honda/Acura/Toyota, etc. There are a few who sport the f-body/mustang look, but I think for the most part they own them b/c "chics dig fast cars"....I can say that b/c I am a chic, but the only fast car I dig is the one I will build and drive like hell. If I had a mid-6 figure salary, you bet your tooshie I would be buying a GTO and then sending it off for some "modding", namely to Mr. Lingenfelter's joint for an engine upgrade. :twisted: Can you say 427 C.I.D? I'm not so sure people in my age range know of the original "goat", or what C.I.D is for that matter! I kinda see this car as a "sleeper" for my age range, as I do the LGT. They see it and think "oh what a nice homely car"....then you get on the gas and perspectives change, quickly might I add. If I could afford it, I would own it just to be different, so folks could say "what the hell just blew my doors off?" and I could reply "my nice homely GTO" and leave in a cloud of smoke. But like I said be4...I'm probably talking outta my a$$, so I'll shut up now! :o Kenda [/img]

No I agree with you, to an extent it is aimed at adults. Someone who needs a car that says "look at me!" a little less but is still fun to drive. It is decent sized for comfortible long driving and being the LS1, or even the LS2, Mr.Lingenfelter's shop and others will offer plenty of aftermarket for it.

You have the perspective of alot of other people Kenda. Alot of Z06 owners are picking a GTO or CTS-V up for the daily driver that can seat the wife and 2 kids and still have pep. Torrana was unveiled earlier. :D [url]http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?ws4d_nav=true&search_criteria=torana@&Source=all&Page=1[/url] [url]http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7114[/url]

[quote name='§h@dow Dr@gon'][quote name='eatV8']Camaro is suppose to be making a come back, but the Firebird is not. Both being GM this makes sence to me. Ok there will be Loyal Pontiac buyers wanting a Trans Am, but the performance car market is getting so packed at the moment I think the GTO is a good idea. It appeals to a different persons needs. Why have two cars so simular competing in a tight market (camaro and trans am) The LS2 will definatley boost sales and now everyone has got their beloved hood scoops they bitched about it should help also... Thats one more thing I just dont get. The original GTO was a basic looking car with a big engine under the hood. It wasnt some extreme car that just grabbed attension. It blended in... Which the Holden does in my opinion :roll:[/quote] EatV8 hit it. Zeta variant called "Torrana" will supposedly be the Camaro architecture. The ORIGINAL GTO was a Ferrari and Pontiac DARED to say that the 60s GTO was a direct competitor to that of Ferraris. To be factual all the hood scoops/body moldings that the "original" pontiac GTO had were, in fact, not functional. And as EatV8 put it the original pontiac gto looked just like the pontiac tempest.[/quote] Guys, thanks for the updates. The Torana is a good looking car. But the new Camaro platform? I doubt it. Never seen a 4-door Camaro. The Torano looks like a BMW fighter, and with that turbo V-6 it would smoke the Legacy GT. But its not in the same class as the Camaro would be. As someone wanting to see the return of the Camaro or Firebird, this is just another let down. Also, I don't understand why GM would bring back the Camaro, but leave Pontiac without the Firebird. Chevy already has the Vette, if either F-body gets revisited, it should be the Firebird. And after seeing this Torano, I don't think the Holden company cares about designing a new Camaro.

Interesting look of the Holden Torana concept. It looks like a mix between a Toyota Celica and Acura TL at the rear end, and Scion tC, Opel Calibra, and Audi A6 at the front end with the body shape of the 2006 Lexus GS430. Regardless, I'm sure it will be one hell of a car. Hopefully that magenta color won't make it on the palette though :).
-ben

Camaro chop on the "Mangenta" Torana: [url]http://www.sub300.com/gm/ccon2.jpg[/url] [quote]And after seeing this Torano, I don't think the Holden company cares about designing a new Camaro.[/quote] The Torana platform is a GM [b]international[/b] platform, so holden doesn't care about designing a new Camaro, but Chevrolet doesn't have a "pony car" to compete with the Mustang right now. Hence, this is what the new Camaro will be on. The GTO doesn't directly compete with the Mustang because it's in a higher class vehicle segment. Once again, Pontiac is changing the direction of GMs performance division, to a BMWesque fighter.

Well I've thought it over some more, and I say... "Death to the GTO!" I hope it sees a quick and painful demise. I want a retro Trans Am, with the left cowl hood, sporting a 4.3 V-6 Turbo rated around 300-horsepower 8) You don't have to say it, I know I'm dreaming. But that is my desire, and if a genie popped out of a bottle, it would be one of my 3 wishes...

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Well I've thought it over some more, and I say... "Death to the GTO!" I hope it sees a quick and painful demise. I want a retro Trans Am, with the left cowl hood, sporting a 4.3 V-6 Turbo rated around 300-horsepower 8) You don't have to say it, I know I'm dreaming. But that is my desire, and if a genie popped out of a bottle, it would be one of my 3 wishes...[/quote] The Genie would probably laugh at you :lol: Nah, would be good to have both GTO and the Firebird/Trans Am in the line up, but American cars simply don't sell well enought to have so much competition within one brand. So many good cars on the market now.

That is very true. I was at the Fair yesterday, and they had the new Mustang GT on display at the Ford booth. It was a silver/titanium color, and I just couldn't believe how much better it looks in real life than on the pages of a magazine! I have to say that is the best looking Mustang I have ever seen. I told my wife to never let me near the Ford dealership, or instead of buying her an SUV soon, she may end up driving the Legacy! :lol:

Archived