LegacyGT.com

new leggy or camry

bpkmrtoes

Add to that the unknown quantity of oil the car needs, and the near impossibility of a consistent reading off the dipstick... Even my highly-reputed local Subaru dealer overfilled on my change. I do it myself now.

You can't expect Asian parents to worry about such things. Nor will they check oil, check tire pressures, close the door using only the little black trim piece, etc. I love my Subaru, would do it again without question, but for any non-car-enthusiast parents, I believe it's a tough sell.

HAHAHA bingo. This is the typical asian parents.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm one of these "Asian" parent. My eldest son is 15. Before buying my LGT last weekend, I also considered '06 Accord EX V6 6MT, '06 MazdaSpeed6, and '06 Volvo S60R. I want this car to be an incentive for him to study hard in school. If he does well and get into a good university, he gets the LGT. If not, he gets the old '94 Mazda 626 4-cyl that we have as an extra car.

The reason I picked the LGT:

The S60R usually comes fully loaded. It would have been about $12,000 over what I paid for the LGT. The MZSP6 is in its first year. I usually stay away from vehicles in their first year because of the usual issues with new models. The Accord is my second choice. Pros of Accord over LGT, about 10% better gas mileage, more room, 6-sp MT, better resale value, maybe better reliability. Cons of Accord, ugly, FWD, too common, not as good handling (that can probably be fixed w/ tires & suspension upgrades).

I didn't consider Camry because the V6 only comes w/ AT.

Hey =)

You are such a cool parent! These type of parents are hard to find!

Don't know what/where you are getting your data from, but the Accord is larger than the Legacy.

The only measurement the Legacy is larger is front leg room. Headroom is greater front and rear for the Accord and rear seat leg room is 3 inches more for the Accord. Hip and shoulder room is also greater in the Accord.

The Camry has 5 inches more rear seat leg room.

I am not saying the Legacy is not good, but it's not the size of a Camry/Accord at all.

The new Civic is close to the interior room as the Legacy, actually the Civic has more rear seat room than the Legacy.

Interior volume (cu-ft):

Civic 88

Legacy 90

Accord 97

Camry 100

Trunk volume (cu-ft):

Civic 12

Legacy 11

Accord 14

Camry 15

I just checked... i'd chosen the coupe instead of sedan... I didn't think about there being two and just went for 2007 Accord.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just checked... i'd chosen the coupe instead of sedan... I didn't think about there being two and just went for 2007 Accord.

yes, I guess there is a point if you need a lot of room in the rear or not. Because most cars are OK in the front seat area. I tried to sit in back of cars like the Civic or Legacy and it's not great but you see I'm 6-3 and 200 lbs so most cars are tight, have to pull the front seats up at least half way.

Also the sunroof cuts headroom on any car, and I can't find a Legacy without a sunroof. Apparently they make some but limited availibility so maybe they are not to be found. I would actually pay the same money for a car without a sunroof.

I'd say you're best off letting your parents buy whatever they most want, rather than try to steer them towards something you'd like more. It's just a lose-lose proposition: if for whatever silly reason they don't like the car you choose for them, you'll be blamed. And being critical of their decisions just leads to resentment. I came to that realization over a stupid cordless drill my dad bought. He was (mildly) excited to tell me about the new drill he'd just bought, and without thinking, I was like, "Ah, man, you should have got this one instead; it's cheaper and has more power." And he looked at me, for just a second, like I was the biggest d!ck on the planet. If they ask your advice, give it to them freely, but then just support them with whatever they decide and let it go at that.

To each, their own.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I see new 07 Legacy 2.5 SE for just under $19K here.

Click -->>http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsa.asp?Search=NEW&order=RED_TAG&DISPTYPE=ALL

nice site... i'ved looked at it up untill page 5... alot of them are manuals... maybe i can find an A/T later

I only have read the first page of this thread,

but, since you want to play with a honda for another few years, just forget about the legacy, DONT EVEN TEST DRIVE IT, it'll poison you.

But on the other hand, as you are 18 only, i believe that if you dont have the money now to buy it, you are probably going to pass this car forever. Not that i am saying you are going to be poor, i am saying that you'll switch your taste when you grow up a little bit, and the car you want will not be legacy anymore.

I want to play with atleast another honda to fufill my satisfaction of building one... it's as simple as that... I never got the enjoyment of finishing my build. I won't test drive one for myself... I'd probably fall for it and not complete my satisfaction.

on your other hand, you maybe right. but not alot of cars can fulfill my wants. I've been on registered on this forum for over a year. I've have seen other cars out there that are nice... but it doesnt neccessarily mean that I WANT them. My mind about the legacy hasn't change yet. I guess in my mind the cars that I'm going to have in the future will always be modded somehow. I would just like to have more experience from different types of cars... FWD RWD AWD, COUPES, SEDANS, WAGONS, HATCHES... There is a wagon/sportback or whateva that I did like in person though...

http://www.soderbergsbil.se/mediadb/_files/user_svw40560/Audi-A3-Sportback-stylad_18994.jpg

I want to play with atleast another honda to fufill my satisfaction of building one... it's as simple as that... I never got the enjoyment of finishing my build. I won't test drive one for myself... I'd probably fall for it and not complete my satisfaction.

on your other hand, you maybe right. but not alot of cars can fulfill my wants. I've been on registered on this forum for over a year. I've have seen other cars out there that are nice... but it doesnt neccessarily mean that I WANT them. My mind about the legacy hasn't change yet. I guess in my mind the cars that I'm going to have in the future will always be modded somehow. I would just like to have more experience from different types of cars... FWD RWD AWD, COUPES, SEDANS, WAGONS, HATCHES... There is a wagon/sportback or whateva that I did like in person though...

Agree on what you said, I do think u like the Legacy. And i do see that you have some knowledgable parents, i suggest you do get them to get a test drive on the new LGT, let them decide by all means (just like how the other members also said). AND if you have decided to purchase a Legacy sedan, get the 07'. The 60/40 seats can save you from angry parents in the future years.

In terms of the Honda, those cars are great in terms of "modifability", i hope you wont get too riced up (spending too much $) before you join our community =)

Hey =)

You are such a cool parent! These type of parents are hard to find!

Thx. I was a kid once, still a kid at heart. :lol: My first car was a '76 Celica that I had installed headers & NOS. I still do some maintenance work on our cars, oil change, brakes, trans fluid, fan belts, etc. I even changed the timing belt on a '86 MR2 that I once had.

I also worry about my kids' safety. The IIHS Gold rating really sealed the deal with the LGT.

I'd say you're best off letting your parents buy whatever they most want, rather than try to steer them towards something you'd like more. It's just a lose-lose proposition: if for whatever silly reason they don't like the car you choose for them, you'll be blamed. And being critical of their decisions just leads to resentment. I came to that realization over a stupid cordless drill my dad bought. He was (mildly) excited to tell me about the new drill he'd just bought, and without thinking, I was like, "Ah, man, you should have got this one instead; it's cheaper and has more power." And he looked at me, for just a second, like I was the biggest d!ck on the planet. If they ask your advice, give it to them freely, but then just support them with whatever they decide and let it go at that.

To each, their own.

I know what you mean. I just want to see the other availibilities. It's like having them buy an Ipod because alot of people have them. For an Ipod's price i can recommend way better bang for the buck! You know what I mean?? lol but after they do choose a car of course I'm going to support them.

Interesting thread. I am in the same boat as bpkmrtoes.

I am encouraging my dad to purchase an AWD sedan, as he is driving his third Camry in 14 years (a 2002 Camry SE). He wants to move away from strict front wheel drive, and understands that moving into premium car territory involves more expensive gas, dealer oil changes, and more expensive tires. I'm quite surprised that he is moving ahead with his plans to get an AWD car. His three options seem to be 3 different types of AWD technologies:

Lexis IS250 AWD - a forgiving AWD car. Uses a transfer case to send power to the front wheels, as the drivetrain is primarily RWD. I assume that oil changes must be done by the dealer, but I am not sure.

Volvo S60 AWD - This is primarily a FWD car. The most forgiving type of all wheel drive. Easy on the rear tires. Turbocharged i-5 has about the same economy as the LGT.

LGT - The sweetest in the bunch. Center differential like an Audi Quattro (right?). Economy like a BMW 325i which is not good. But about the same size and cargo space as an Acura TSX. About the same standard luxury features as a TSX (moonroof, heated leather seats, 6-disc changer). More rear room than a Lexis IS. Built alongside the Camry in Indiana. And under $34K with spoiler and OZ 17s.

I know mom wants the Volvo. I know dad wants the LGT. This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out in 2007. But I want to see if 60 year olds can feel at home in an enthusiasts car. No one would blink if they drove a Volvo or a BMW 325ix. But the Legacy carries more meaning among the tuner community. It is a true niche vehicle that appeals to the Japanese car enthusiast.

Archived