LegacyGT.com

Legacy exhaust note.

Guest bossies1
Listen to the in-car recordings from Hans Stuck's 911 (or any 911) in the American LeMans racing series from a couple of years ago...it sounds just like a Subaru Boxer. I love to listen to the Boxer on song. And watching that guy in the rain sliding past the GTP cars was great! Dave

ha ha ha ha ha ha. that's funny. Porsche spends more money on engine sound and acoustics than Subaru spends on their entire interior design budget, i would bet and surely win. the engine note that you hear is the result of hours and hours of tuning to make their miserable new watercooled engines try to sound like the aircooled engines (but i'm not biased).

Guest *Jedimaster*
Don't worry- you're making sence... And check my thread on removing the 3rd cat in the turbo powertrains section.

[quote name='lemming']ha ha ha ha ha ha. that's funny. Porsche spends more money on engine sound and acoustics than Subaru spends on their entire interior design budget, i would bet and surely win. the engine note that you hear is the result of hours and hours of tuning to make their miserable new watercooled engines try to sound like the aircooled engines (but i'm not biased).[/quote] Thats pretty harsh, just becuase they went to the more reliable watercooled engines doesn't make them any less Porsche like. Porsches have incredible sounding cars stock, I think it would take some work to make it sound nearly as good.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci'][quote name='lemming']ha ha ha ha ha ha. that's funny. Porsche spends more money on engine sound and acoustics than Subaru spends on their entire interior design budget, i would bet and surely win. the engine note that you hear is the result of hours and hours of tuning to make their miserable new watercooled engines try to sound like the aircooled engines (but i'm not biased).[/quote] Thats pretty harsh, just becuase they went to the more reliable watercooled engines doesn't make them any less Porsche like. Porsches have incredible sounding cars stock, I think it would take some work to make it sound nearly as good.[/quote] as a former 993 owner, of course i'm biased. the first generation 996s sounded like camrys and it wasn't until the 03 cars that they tuned the engine so it sounded like a sports car and of course, now they make great efforts to let people know they have a great sounding exhaust on the new 997s. i think subies actually sound neater than 911s, to be honest with you. i love the rumble of the wrx's around town with wide open exhausts. the 911 sound is the whirring of belts and valvetrain noise plus the exhaust note. never going to happen on a subaru.

when the first 996s came out they sounded miserable compared to the air-cooled 911s. so can't blame ppl for saying how those water-sloshed buckets having 0 character. since then later 996s and now the 997s have improved on exhaust acoustics. still, hard to beat an air-cooled 911 that on WOT. <drool> hey lemming, what made you let go of the 993?

[quote name='wunderkind']when the first 996s came out they sounded miserable compared to the air-cooled 911s. so can't blame ppl for saying how those water-sloshed buckets having 0 character. since then later 996s and now the 997s have improved on exhaust acoustics. still, hard to beat an air-cooled 911 that on WOT. <drool> hey lemming, what made you let go of the 993?[/quote] well. this is going to sound stupid, but.....first it was the STi (because that car was clearly faster than the 993......but then it was the Z06). i loved all of the intangibles of the 993 ownership experience. it was a charming car. but it was expensive to keep fixing and slow compared to other, newer sports cars (it was a 1998, last year of the aircoolers). but i agree, the sound is cool of a flat 6. but i still say the subie rumble with an aftermarket exhaust is cool, too.

Once a NICE (not rice) sounding exhaust comes out, I'll pucker down some dough for it. I think a nice sounding exhaust would complement this car well. But then again, I'm only 23 what do I know? LOL I would like a little rumble from my exhuast, something deep sounding (but not like a case of the wet farts like riced out Honda's sound.) - Mike

Since the dual exhausts split off downstream of the engine (actually, downstream of most everything!), it should sound good with aftermarket mufflers. The exhaust pulses of the H4, along with the unequal length exhaust plumbing, is what makes the engines sound so good. You can't get the same quality sound from an inline-4 like most Hondas, which is why they have that fart-can sound. If the dual exhausts went all the way back to the engine, it would probably sound pretty warbly. But mix the 2 cylinder banks together and it sounds good! Craig

[quote name='c_hunter']Since the dual exhausts split off downstream of the engine (actually, downstream of most everything!), it should sound good with aftermarket mufflers. The exhaust pulses of the H4, along with the unequal length exhaust plumbing, is what makes the engines sound so good. You can't get the same quality sound from an inline-4 like most Hondas, which is why they have that fart-can sound. If the dual exhausts went all the way back to the engine, it would probably sound pretty warbly. But mix the 2 cylinder banks together and it sounds good! Craig[/quote] Actually if my memory serves me correctly, we have equal length exhaust headers. Can someone confirm or disagree?
-ben

Hmmm, it is possible, but not easy to have equal length headers on an H4 turbo -- since the turbo is on the passenger side, making the layout very asymmetric. With twin turbos it would be a given, of course. To get equal length headers, they would had to have added a bunch of length to the passenger side header to get it to match the length of the driver side header. So it's possible. Look under the hood for an eyeball estimate, that should tell all. I know the WRX definitely did not have equal length headers. CRaig

Guest *Jedimaster*
I believe it was confirmed that we do NOT have equal length headers, although I don't have a link to prove it.

[quote name='jedimaster']I believe it was confirmed that we do NOT have equal length headers, although I don't have a link to prove it.[/quote] so, in summary, that means there is hope for getting that subie rumble into the L-GT's? ('hoping)

Well, the rumble is definitely there -- this engine feels and sounds like all my other H4 Subarus have over the years. When I had an H6 for a while, it was way more refined sounding and way less entertaining! I bet some straight-through mufflers, like the Prodrive unit for the WRX, would really sound good.... CRaig

Guest *Jedimaster*
The rumble is definitely there- I had mine running through an open downpipe the other day- no doubt it's a suby boxer. Sounds much meaner than the WRX with an open dp though- maybe because of the extra 1/2 liter of displacement.

Archived