LegacyGT.com

New Car Advice

I'm looking at replacing my wife's car. She currently has a Maxima, and I wanted to get something a little safer with AWD. I know this is a Subaru forum (I do drive a Legacy), but I wanted to get some thoughts on other cars. We have 2 young kids in car seats, so I wanted something to accomodate them as well as all the goodies (stroller, etc.).

I don't like the Tribeca and the Outback is a shade small. Anyone have recommendations? I like a few Volvo's, the G35, and the new RDX (which is a shade small as well). What else is out there that is AWD and not overly expensive?

Thanks

________

BODY SCIENCE

Another Legacy - wagon this time.

My LGT wagon is our family hauler. I have two kids (nearly 8 and 1.5 yrs old), and another one due in a month.

With two kids we have plenty of hauling space. With three it's gonna be bit tight, but thanks to one being out of car seat age, we can manage.

Hardly anything beats safety of an AWD passenger car such as Legacy. I guess you can't go wrong (safety wise) with Volvo, if you can afford it (reliability and maintaince cost is another story). I'd stay away from SUVs for safety sake.

I was thinking about another Subaru, just not sure I wanted two of the same car - even though the next one would be a wagon.

I like the Volvo XC70, and it is much bigger than the legacy or the outback. The AWD system is dramatically different though. It's a front wheel drive bias, with a 95 / 5 split under normal conditions.

I like the Audi's, but the A4 is too small and overpriced. Maybe I'll compare the Volvo and Legacy / Outback and see.

________

Toys Couple

We are actually planning to get another LGT wagon (test drove 2.5i again yesterday and I can't get used to it's sedate character).

Having two of the same - simplified mainatance, parts/tool sharing, troubleshotting etc. Only one board to waste your time on. :lol:

The tribeca is nice, but it may be a tad small in the back storage compartment. How about the fugly nissan murano? or a bigger truck like a pathfinder? I know gas guzzler, but man that thing can haul stuff.

Outback may be a good one as well, as is a forester, but IMHO the forester is an acquired taste, just like the murano is.

GL

X

---

I like the looks of the Murano, but I don't like the CVT transmission, and it's still not that big. It doesn't have much more room than the Outback or Volvo XC70.

My wife doesn't want to drive an SUV, whereas I'd prefer to get one and ensure we have the extra room.

I'm going to compare the Outback and the XC70 for interior room, storage space and handling and see if either of those would meet our needs.

________

HALF-BAKED

+1 to your wife

If you are going to look at Outback, why don't you check out Legacy wagon? Cheaper and safer.

Please when you test drive Outback go around few curves and try to do sudden lane change (like an emergency avoidance manuver) at 70 mph. I was scared to death...

• 3 weeks later...

Decision made. We pulled the trigger on R-Class Mercedes - an R350. It's a great size (lot's of room), has AWD and is very safe. We got a tremendous deal - Mercedes currently has a great program on the 2006 R-Class to clear their remaining cars.

On another note, I test drove the RDX which is very nice. But is that turbo ever loud - you can hear it screaming at 2,500 rpms.

________

SJ?GREN'S SYNDROME ADVICE

I like the looks of the Murano, but I don't like the CVT transmission, and it's still not that big. It doesn't have much more room than the Outback or Volvo XC70.

My wife doesn't want to drive an SUV, whereas I'd prefer to get one and ensure we have the extra room.

I'm going to compare the Outback and the XC70 for interior room, storage space and handling and see if either of those would meet our needs.

A woman at work just bought an XC70 (her 4th Volvo) and I had a chance to drive it a couple times so far. It's still too new to get RW mileage info. I was not impressed with the seats compared to the 06 Subaru, surprisingly, as that's a traditional Volvo strength. The rear cargo area is wider than the OBW but not quite as high. The rear seat is a little wider and I think you can't get a 3rd row, back-facing seat as an option.

It felt sluggish under acceleration despite weighing only about 50 lbs more than an H6 OBW. The steering response was also much slower. It has ESC standard and a 6 speed auto with manual mode and a 208? hp turbo 5. When you put it in manual mode it shows what gear you are in - a pet peeve of the Subaru and many other cars. they seem to sell for about $7,000 more than my 3.0R. It has a lot of othr bells and whistles. The dark gray plastic cladding is even less tasteful than that on the OBW. Roof crossbars cost extra.

From a room and utility perspective, if the Ford Freestyle had the new Ford 3.5l V6 instead of the 3.0 it would blow these cars away. But loaded up the 3.0 works too hard - it's like an H4 Outback when you have 4 passengers, luggage and maybe a roof box.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived