LegacyGT.com

Do I need new rotors?

nekdut

I have the typical brake shake from highway speeds, but I have always been careful to not put the ebrake when the brakes are hot, etc. So from what it sounds like, the stock pads are leaving uneven deposits on my rotors. Do I really need new rotors, or can I just get them turned with new pads. Will this problem come back quickly even if I switch the pads out?

35k miles.

I will probably go with Hawk Ceramics and upgrade the lines/fluid as well.

HURRY to your dealer (if not heavily modded) and get them to check it out.

Mine turned the rotors for free under warranty..

HV

ebrake won't cause a vibration (completely separate from the service brake) but high speed stops will cause pad deposit i have had it but if you drive and brake sensibly it should wear away, the biggest thing is sitting with the brakes on at a stop sign or light after a stop from say 60-70mph, if you arent going to roll take your foot off the brake or press just enough to light up the brake lights. i found this dramatically reduces the depositing.

I had warped rotors...dealer tried to turn, still had problems. Dealer replaced rotors. With new rotors and good pads (I switched to Endless SS-M) it's been great. I think brakes (and tires if required) should be the first mod on any vehicle that needs it--gotta have good stopping power.

Dealer refused based on mileage. They said it has to be 12k or less. This was at Timmons Subaru. Can anyone suggest a decent dealership in Socal that would take care of this for me under warranty?

It'll be hard to find a dealer who will do it when youre close to 36k miles.

What may be causing the issue is stock deposits. If this is the case, you can try polishing down the rotor surfaces with something like steel wool, etc. Spray brake cleaner and have at it till all deposits are gone. (Do this while it is cold of course).

If I can help with new equipment, please let me know, thanks.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

35k miles.

I will probably go with Hawk Ceramics and upgrade the lines/fluid as well.

exacly what i did this week, brakes so much better now. i actually didnt have to resuface the rotors tho, they were still smooth at 40k miles. hawk ceramics and techna fit lines with motul fluid. you wont be disappointed

Go to an empty parking lot. Put the car in reverse and accelerate to as much as you feel comfortable driving backwards. Hit the brakes hard!, repeat 2-3 times... No more deposits. Worked like a charm on mine.

12k miles is a BS that some ignorant/shady dealers tried to push to quite a few members.

36k/3yrs miles bumper to bumper, that's what it is.

There is no portion of the warranty that would be effective until 12k miles only.

The only thing I am unsure about is the wheel alignment. Reports are dealers cover it only once with low mileage.

Archived