LegacyGT.com

It's JDM yo: underbody rear diffuser

f1anatic

http://www.varisusa.com/products/universaldiffuser/universaldiffuser.shtml

http://www.varisusa.com

http://www.varisusa.com/diffuser1.jpg

Can someone please make it in plastic ? 700 dollars is an OBSCENE amount of money.

I'd take one now...priced just about 250 or so. In plastic too...so if I back up into something it won"t shatter to pieces.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't just have that piece at the end and expect air flow to be better. You would need the entire undercarriage to be straked or something.

You are essentially right - you need a flat bottom - but it helps nevertheless. Put it this way...I can do the flat bottom myself without the need of buying hardware. But I cannot build the rear diffuser.

Paper mache would just be as effective since the car goes nowhere near the speed to even make it work effectively or even at all. And you really need to generate more down force in the back of the car since these LGT has so much oversteer at high speeds. Why waste your money on these things. Most of these "aero" stuff are not designed in a wind tunnel nor did they run the design through a CFD program if they can't afford or gain access to use a wind tunnel. You will probably get a dumb look if you ask the company what Reynolds number mean.

If you want to hang stuff on the car to make it go slower, you can build that yourself relatively easy. If you look closely, the center strakes are L shaped and probably glued/riveted to the main piece.

Paper mache would just be as effective since the car goes nowhere near the speed to even make it work effectively or even at all. And you really need to generate more down force in the back of the car since these LGT has so much oversteer at high speeds. Why waste your money on these things. Most of these "aero" stuff are not designed in a wind tunnel nor did they run the design through a CFD program if they can't afford or gain access to use a wind tunnel. You will probably get a dumb look if you ask the company what Reynolds number mean.

If you want to hang stuff on the car to make it go slower, you can build that yourself relatively easy. If you look closely, the center strakes are L shaped and probably glued/riveted to the main piece.

I love it how poeple always chime in with that shit isnt gonna do anything at the speeds the car can achieve...do you know for a fact that the part wasnt tested?

a lot of poeple also claimed the the vortex generator on an evo is worthless, but after people saw that it was actually tested and proven...they shut their mouth...prove it or nothin

or also consider that people like to do thing for looks...and not always speed

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

a lot of poeple also claimed the the vortex generator on an evo is worthless, but after people saw that it was actually tested and proven...they shut their mouth...prove it or nothin

Not to discredit you, but got any proof (link?) I think someone i know would greatly like to show his father that infromation

Not to discredit you, but got any proof (link?) I think someone i know would greatly like to show his father that infromation

I dont have access to EvoM but i will get it

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

Having worked at Mitsu USA for over 12 years (during the startup through the VR-4 days), I can tell you that MMC spends a lot of time fine tuning their aero. They have wind tunnels and a decent high speed testing facility and although many things may look gimmicky, they do have empirical testing to back up their claims.

I love it how poeple always chime in with that shit isnt gonna do anything at the speeds the car can achieve...do you know for a fact that the part wasnt tested?

Do you know how much it cost to use a wind tunnel if you don't own one? A small wind tunnel not big enough for a fullsize car will run anywhere from $10,000-20,000 PER HOUR. Most of the 2nd tier NASCAR teams don't spend time in the wind tunnel for the same reason since it's easy to spend an entire week in one.

There's a bunch of these companies on another forum. I can tell you they are not engineers. Most of their products are just to look cool and are not functional. Most of the stuff any of these companies make are full of bumps and corners, all of which produces a lot of drag. Drag slows cars down, pure and simple.

That is true but bottom line is that a some point people thought huge wings on the back of a civic was cool. It is all bling function is not always a priority to some. So if you like to try your luck at HomeDepot Motorsports more power to you. Most body kits wings canards and wheels are either heaver than the parts they replace of they cause drag, but they look cool.....So to each his own. MY $.02SoCalSleeper ( mod-junky on a budget)

Errr...Apex Japan once posted some pictures from one of their track events and there was a GT with such a contraption.

It is easy to claim they do not work. It is easy to claim you need a flat bottom. Truth is...neither F1 nor we have a flat bottom. F1's haven't had flat bottoms since May 1994 - when they added a wooden plank. There's lot of cars that come with a rear diffuser...the Evo, the STi, the M5/6, Lotus Elise. Read on NASIOC and some people will sweat by them.

When Audi TT first came out, it had no rear spoiler. As soon as people started having accidents with them due to oversteering at high speed, they added a rear lip/spoiler and that cured the behavior. You do not need 200 mph to have a rear diffuser working...just enough to get some air moving at speed. I bet the rear diffuser will not help anyone corner better in a 15 mph corner...but will likely make you more stable on the highway in high speed turns. The key is laminar flow...of air under the car.

In terms of little contraptions...just watch F1. Teams spend hundreads of hours in the wind tunnel to just develop a post-it sized wing to mount it on the airbox or extend the front wing. Some have it some do not. For some it worked for others it did not. Just watch F1 racing...and you bet those people have the money to invent and extract the most performance from the silliest add-ons.

Wind Tunnel testing doesn't have to be full-size. It can be 1/2 or 1/4 scale or even less.

Do STi front lips actually do anything but look cool ?

Do aero spats do anything but actually look cool ?

Since we're talking bling, you have more than a decent chance to get something that works for you with a rear diffuser than either a front lip or aero spats.

Errr...Apex Japan once posted some pictures from one of their track events and there was a GT with such a contraption.

quote]

Pics...?

And don't tell me to search. If you have been hear more then a few days you know I don't search. :icon_mrgr

quote]

Pics...?

And don't tell me to search. If you have been hear more then a few days you know I don't search. :icon_mrgr

here you go

The Audi TT needed a rear spoiler because of the shape of the car. Essentially it was a wing which is why it oversteered at 120+ mph.

Small scale wind tunnel testing requires factoring in a constant because while the model is scaled down, the air molecules aren't. This affects the number you get. The smaller the scale, the less precise the measurements. That's why F1 teams invest millions to build full scale wind tunnels with a rolling ground.

The key isn't laminar flow, it's generating a low pressure area. But that becomes difficult when you have such a high ground clearance. Even WRC cars on tarmac stages don't run fancy diffusers.

If I didn't have a life, I would set up a CFD model to illustrate, but I'm not that bored.

Archived