LegacyGT.com

Recommendation for 60k service

bluechipbmw

I recently called the dealer near where I work to have them do my 60k mile service and was quoted $650.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get the following done for a better price? Or is $650 worth it?

Perform/Replace the following

Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections

Fuel system, lines and connections

Air cleaner element

Spark plugs

Transmission/Differential (Front ONLY) lubricants (Gear oil) - had my rear diff replaced recently

Brake fluid

Automatic transmission fluid

Front and rear wheel bearing lubricant

Inspect the following

Disc brake pads and discs/Front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Thanks

Any service station can do the same stuff only cheaper. Open the phone book and call around.

I just R&R my rear end and tranny fluid for the second time. Getting ready to R&R the plugs with NGK LFR7AIX. My son works at Advance Auto Parts and there under $7.00 each.

Most of the stuff on the list you can do yourself, if you think about it most is pretty easy. The Auto parts kids can change the air filter for you for free, just remember to tip the guy.

When I have asked guy's at Brake shops to change the brake fluid they look at me like I'm nuts. Why do you want to do that some ask.

Some of the items on our list are "inspect" that really shouldn't cost that much.

Think about it.

I would think the biggest thing on the list is R&R the plugs, and that's mostly labor.

BTW I have 59,600 miles on mine. I'll have to check the fuel filter. In all my cars I have only changed that 1 time. On a Honda at 25,000 miles back in 1993, BTW I still have that car with over 215,000 miles on it and no fuel delivery problems. I'm 52y/o. I had a few cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

snip.

BTW I have 59,600 miles on mine. I'll have to check the fuel filter. In all my cars I have only changed that 1 time. On a Honda at 25,000 miles back in 1993, BTW I still have that car with over 215,000 miles on it and no fuel delivery problems. I'm 52y/o. I had a few cars.

On my last subaru, a 95 legacy, I changed the fuel filter at around 90 k mi, maybe 6.5 years, and it was long overdue. The gas I poured out of it had quite a bit of black crud in it.

Like an oil filter, I would change this more often as a matter of preventative maintenance, it's not hard enough to blow it off.

if you feel comfortable working on cars. this can all be done yourself in the drive way.

Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined. I am only able to change the oil and filter. I probably don't have the right tools to perform all the jobs.

I did receive a message from a tech that works for Kolb. I was wondering to see how much it would cost with all the parts and if its possible to get it done on a saturday since during the week wont be possible unless I take off from work.

Archived