LegacyGT.com

Can I swap my 05 radio for a 2007?

kevinh

I have read that the new 2007 LGT radio's have an aux in. This would enable good, clean quality audio from my ipod. I can't stand the way it is now....a hardwired FM Transmitter setup.

Does anyone know if this is an option...to swap out my radio (from a 2005 LGT w/ climate control) for one from a 2007 model? I don't need the aux in at the center console...I would hard wire it from the back.

Anyone know if this is possible, before I start pricing it?

KevinH

KevinH

Anything's possible.

If you search, there are a couple (2) threads on this.

The short answer is yes, you can replace it and the radio and climate control will work.

The long answer:

The auxiliary connection's wires are not present in the current wiring harness that is located in your car now. So you would have to wire it up. There are currently 6 wires that connect to the Auxiliary connection.

They seem to be 3-4 for audio (L/R/G) and 2-3 for something else. If you don't have anything connected to the Auxiliary, the radio will not switch to it...so it could be for that or maybe for illumination?

The Radio is around the same cost as the 05 radio $700.

The "Aux-Box" is $300 because it is a one-piece unit that replaced the center console storage box, cigarette light and auxiliary connection.

What is a cleansweep?

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94

Also, there are about a billion threads here on the cleansweep. Click on the "Search" button above and type in "cleansweep". Voila!

As for the '07 stereo swap I've been considering it myself. Only problem I have is a lack of experience and knowledge in all things electrical (to put it mildly). Anyway, if I can find someone interested in helping me I may go ahead with the project. mvigneau, jazzymt and others here have been very helpful in passing on what they have discovered about our PITA OEM stereo and modifying it.

Cheers!

-Ian

If aux input is your goal, Jazzymt's mod is really not electrically intensive at all...no soldering or anything. You just need a little patience on taking the radio apart (just a lot of screws and patience). He give great directions. All for around $50 and a few hours of labor.

If you want more than that, things like cleansweep sound like the way to go.

If you are interested in an '07 radio swap...PM me and maybe we can work through it.

If you are just looking for Aux-in...there are a few solutions out there.

1. Cleansweep is one, but requires an external switch to activate and for volume control.

2. Jazzy has one, and as said "not electrically intensive at all...no soldering or anything". But requires a blank CD and will mute when the CD repeats (if selected when you turn on the car).

3. I have one, the instructions are more complicated than Jazzy's (require soldering and cutting traces), but when it is on, there is no need for a blank CD and will never mute. I hope to have finalized instructions this week in a new post.

I have been really contimplating on doing this swap. If there is an '07 owner that is upgrading their HU to aftermarket, you won't miss it then.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I have been really contimplating on doing this swap. If there is an '07 owner that is upgrading their HU to aftermarket, you won't miss it then.
Uh... '07 owners are in the same boat as '05/06 owners in that regard. They won't be upgrading to aftermarket because they can't...and even if they "add" another radio (aftermarket), they still have to keep the stocker.

FWIW, if you're interested in my board, there is a FAQ on the first page of my thread here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504 ..including links to install instructions, so you have some idea what the difficulty level is for disassembling your dash & radio.

When it comes down to it - it's a matter of how much money & effort you're willing to spend. If you're going balls out for the best, a cleansweep (or equivalent) & aftermarket amp/speakers is probably your best bet. If you want good sound, but don't want to fuss with aftermarket amps & such & don't want to spend too much dough - I would recommend modding the OEM headunit.

If you really don't want to mess with it - the FM modulator you hate is about the only other choice.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Thanks jazzy, but already have your board and love it. Just love the look of the new HU and if someone upgrade to a aftermarket HU in the pocket, then they shouldn't care what stock HU they have. Just trying to score one though :p.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Does the new radio have HD radio capability?

I dought it. I would think that would be something that they would advertise it like they are advertising the mp3 and aux-in capibilities.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Thank you mvigneau for the suggestions...I appreciate it, and I will be looking out for your post. I had contacted DensionUSA, they sell a iPod Icelink http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm (which I have, and is hardwired to a FM Transmitter). I was told they are working on a solution...that taps into the 6-disc CD changer, and enables the radio functions to work with the ipod. I will keep in touch with them and leave a post when it is available.
KevinH

Thank you mvigneau for the suggestions...I appreciate it, and I will be looking out for your post. I had contacted DensionUSA, they sell a iPod Icelink http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm (which I have, and is hardwired to a FM Transmitter). I was told they are working on a solution...that taps into the 6-disc CD changer, and enables the radio functions to work with the ipod. I will keep in touch with them and leave a post when it is available.

I contacted them recently also and got the same response. Hope it comes out sooner rather than later. I had also contacted them when I got my iPod (about a month after getting the car, 2+ years ago) and they had nothing.

Anyhoo....if nothing simpler comes along soon I'll probably do the jazzy board for the time being and then upgrade later as I think I want to add the Spec B steering wheel with audio controls next.

Definitely keep us all posted if you hear from Dension! :D;)

Cheers!

-Ian

Archived